Question for those who are 1yr+ post-op

Melissa.M
on 9/29/12 3:28 am - Canada
This question is mainly for those of you who had your surgeries long enough ago that you have reached your goal weight and/or are maintaining.  I know it doesn't apply to people in the early stages of weight-loss since they are still getting familiar with the process, transforming and learning what their bodies can handle, etc.

Do you ever stop thinking about food? Like do you ever reach the point where you can say, "I'm going to have this for dinner" and then throw it together without weighing, measuring, etc? Do you learn pretty quickly the appropriate serving size and protein/carb/fat content? Do you still have to follow a menu or are you able to think "I can have this for breakfast, lunch, dinner" and know you've fulfilled all of your nutritional requirements automatically?

The whole relearning how to eat thing is kind of daunting to me.  I am so sick of thinking about food.  I really hope the day will come where I can just eat to fuel my body and not obsess over every little thing. Please tell me that day will come. LOL
Karen M.
on 9/29/12 3:31 am - Mississauga, Canada
With a lot of practice, yes. The relearning is the hard part and why it's important to weigh, measure, read labels etc.  Once you've got it down, you're good to go. :)

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

Moselle
on 9/29/12 4:18 am - Athens, Canada
I don't weigh and measure everything when cooking but I'm still cautious especially with portion control because it was my biggest problem pre-op.  Making good choices and mealing planning definitely becomes easier since I'm not that adventurous in the kitchen. I find that I prepare a lot more fresh food, stir fries and the like. I find I tend to stick with many of the same products/recipes so it's not so time consuming to shop as I don't have to check all the labels each time.

Bonnie ABC
on 9/29/12 6:39 am - Smiths Falls, Canada
RNY on 09/16/08 with
 I think about food alot.   Food is what controls me sometimes. I can fight it, but the thoughts still appear.  I don't act out, I've learned other ways to cope.  But honestly, in my realm, the thoughts of food are not gone.  They live.   Some time they shout louder than I can block them out.    Learn ways to cope. 

Bonnie

I can do hard things, life is teaching me that I can.
             Lost 222lbs with rny, 20 lbs regain.

Plastics, July 2010 with Dr. Sauceda in Monterrey, Mexico
Karen M.
on 9/29/12 7:58 am - Mississauga, Canada
Bonnie, I think about food a lot too.  Mostly evaluating what I really want to eat and how to make it tasteful and healthful.  Hence, the recipe forum. lol

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

Kerry F.
on 9/29/12 12:35 pm - Bolton, Canada
I still think about food a lot.  Although I don't typically weigh my food as much as I weigh my options - pun intended :)  For me, this process has been all about changing behaviour.  It really is a lesson in CBT - cognitive behavioural therapy.  It's about being truly mindful about eating.  And for me, it didn't get hard until many months after surgery; when all the physical healing was done and the textures and flavours of food became important again.  At this point, I can eat anything so I have to make good choices.  I like routine so I tend to stick to the same meal plan for long stretches of time.  Variety isn't too important to me, so I pretty much know what my daily diet is and I can quickly put meals together.  That said, I plan ahead and make sure that my pantry and fridge are stocked with my essentials.  That cuts down on the guessing and the 'fridge foraging' that I used to do. 
I'm not sure if the day will come when you will obsess less but I am certain that if you follow the proper guidelines, advice and recommendations, you will come to know what your body needs and you will feel confident that you are doing right by it. 

Kerry

What lies behind us and what lies ahead of us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us. - Ralph Waldo Emerson   

Most Active
Recent Topics