Well, that was a first!

Kerry F.
on 10/1/12 6:48 am - Bolton, Canada
Yesterday I ran my second-ever 5k, and am thrilled to say I took 5 mins off my time from the first-ever 5k I did the weekend before.  Woo hoo!  This event also included a kids' 1-mile run, which I'm proud to say my 5 year old & 8 year old ran - all the way!!  I cried my eyes ou****ching them approach the finish line - RUNNING - and knowing that what I am now role-modelling for them is a healthy, active lifestyle.  I was filled with such a feeling of accomplishment, like I've never felt before.

Today I got a call from a friend.  She's a new friend - we met because our kids go to school together.  I had invited her & her kids to the event yesterday & hers ran with mine.  Today she told me she was so inspired by my learning to run that she wants to learn too and she asked me if I would help her train.  She said she was really moved by my story of weight loss and the changes I've made and particularly how it's having such a healthy impact on my kids.  She is not an obese person; maybe 20lbs or so overweight but she's not really physically active and she wants to be so she can do more with her kids.  I can't believe that I've actually inspired someone to make a change.  I'm very humbled by that.  I am so thankful for this surgery - it is truly the gift that keeps on giving.

This is me & my boys with our medals.

Kerry

What lies behind us and what lies ahead of us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us. - Ralph Waldo Emerson   

Patm
on 10/1/12 6:56 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12
That is great. Thank you for posting this. Your kids look so happy!

cchdryder
on 10/1/12 7:44 am
VSG on 01/14/13
What a wonderful story of inspiration...& sucess...& paying it forward....

Referral: June 22, 2012  Orientation: July 16, 2012 HRRH Keele
Surgeon's appt: July 25th RD, SW & RN:
Aug 10, 2012 
Surgery:  Jan 14, 2013              

(deactivated member)
on 10/1/12 9:28 am - Straford, Canada

sam1am
on 10/1/12 10:02 am
Wonderful post, love it and big congratz!  I wish I had done this younger to have been more active with my children!

Sandy                                           

"The best way to cheer yourself up is to try to cheer somebody  else up"                     

Mark Twain                                                       LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCatAnimation One      

Blu-Diva
on 10/1/12 11:01 am - Hamilton, Canada
Wooo Hooooo 

Surgery date May 7 / 2012
Highest 312 lbs - Pre Op 297lbs - now 199 lbs
I know now that my location was never my destination.

Blu-Diva      

gardeninggal
on 10/1/12 12:02 pm - Midland, Canada
 Absolutely wonderful  

ShallowGirl
on 10/1/12 5:16 pm - Richmond Hill, Canada
RNY on 06/22/12
Congratulations ! Good work !
Monica M.
on 10/1/12 11:14 pm - Penetanguishene, Canada
what an inspiring story this is!!!

i've had people ask me about running and stuff, too, and i think...'if you knew me three years ago, you would have laughed at me instead of asked me about how to run". It's an incredible transformation, from couch potato to runner.

You and your kids look so proud, and wonderful, you're being such a great role model for them!!

Kerry F.
on 10/2/12 12:26 am - Bolton, Canada
Thanks everyone for your support...feeling pretty good these days :)

Kerry

What lies behind us and what lies ahead of us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us. - Ralph Waldo Emerson   

Most Active
Recent Topics