High uric acid?

NorthernStar
on 10/2/12 2:17 am - London, Canada
RNY on 06/25/12
I just got the results from my bloodwork (3 months out) and it turns out I have high uric acid, which puts me at risk for gout. My doctor has advised a low-purine diet and asked me to come back in a month for more bloodwork.

I googled uric acid and low-purine foods and I'm not really sure what to do. I don't really eat any high-purine foods! I've looked at a few lists online and I don't eat any of those foods (organ meats, alcohol, anchovies/sardines). I don't know what I could possibly cut back on. I also read that rapid weight loss can itself cause high uric acid. Is this someone to worry about? 

Has anyone else had this issue? What did you do?

*Lindsey*

Keeping off 133 lbs since 2012!

Referral to Bariatric Registry: May 2011   /   Surgery (HRRH): June 25, 2012         

Monica M.
on 10/2/12 2:59 am - Penetanguishene, Canada
i wish i could help. I think that some people's bodies just don't process purine as well as others. Check with a nutritionist, or pharmacist, to see if there are nutritional supplements that you could take to help your body process it...

mermaidz
on 10/2/12 3:06 am - Brampton, Canada
I get gout.. I had it prior to surgery. Certain foods ie `rich`foods like shrimp and seafoods, etc.. can cause flare ups.

Truly, apart from just taking an anti-inflammatory (gout is a kind of arthritis) when it pokes it nasty head up, there wasn`t much I could do aside from stay away from foods that trigger it.  That was my experience anyhow.  

Read some more about gout. My dad had it too. It may just be a coincidence that you have it now? and not be related to the surgery

There are several treatment options available

http://www.rheumatology.org/practice/clinical/patients/disea ses_and_conditions/gout.asp

Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional.  

Cuter_w_Curves
on 10/2/12 3:33 am - Oshawa, Ontario, Canada
VSG on 01/08/13
Um... My husband got gout summer about 6 years ago. He's predisposed to it apparently.

The first time through he took their medications... And I did some "legwork". If he has anything with too much yeast (beer, bread, etc.), or has red wine, soft drinks, red meat (specifically bbq), heavier bbq sauces/sweetened sauces), and rich creamy sauces he has a problem. Interestingly enough he can end up with a round fro bbq pork ribs if they have sauce on them vs a seasoning rub.

There is only so much one can do by adjusting their diet but there really is no warning it is going to hurt other than a "tingling" for about 12 hours before it really kicks up he says.

Apparently ketosis raises urate concentration and predisposes those in ketosis to potential for an acute attack of gout. This is why you are potentially dealing with this.

I am not sure how much you have managed to find about what is purine free but... here is a list I found:
  • milk
  • non-fermented milk products
    • cottage cheese
    • mozzarella
    • whey protein
  • egg whites
  • pulp-free fruit juices
Basically the thinking is if you replace meats and seafood with milk protein that it "lowers" the levels in your diet and body.

Another thing we found out in our home... (From an older Jewish man who swore by it, and in the research I did and have stored on my desktop it was backed up)... Cherries are the ticket to being able to manage. I am a web designer and I own my own company... I will not put out a site selling a product with "listed facts" unless I have evidence based studies and nformation to back it up. So I played fact checker, and found out his information was "modest'.

I am not going to bore you with the mountains of paperwork. I am going to share what works for my husband, and where we essentially get our product from.

There are a couple of companies in the Niagara Region that sell a product. It is Tart Cherry Concentrate. 1 tbsp has the equivilent in antioxidents and anti-inflammatories, etc. to 50 cherries. One company called Cherry Lane has made a name for it's self doing this. I know it is occasionally purchasable elsewhere as well... There is a reason I am bringing this up.  https://www.cherrylane.net/where-to-buy - This is the exact product line I am familiar with. My client was one of their distributers.

Though the US FDA has argued this one on and off since 2005 because there are not enough studies to justify it... Most find that consuming cherries or cherry juice (specifically tart cherries but sweet work as well) to the equivilent of 1 handful a day will lower the urate, and lessen the chance of uric acid build up. It will also head off a gout attack at the pass.

I know that eating cherries can be problematic as most stores only sell sweet ones (black cherries or bing cherries)... If you can tollerate them... So much the better. If not then the concentrate may work for you. We actually buy a small jug for the fridge as they need to stay refridgerated or a larger one that we put in the freezer and simply pull out and thaw int he fridge to pour off some of the thawed concentrate into a smaller container after a day and replace the main container into the freezer.

Dr Sullivan VSG Jan. 8th, 2013!
  Lost 100 lbs in a year post op with a VSG. 

NorthernStar
on 10/2/12 3:49 am - London, Canada
RNY on 06/25/12
Thanks so much for the responses! There is a lot of information here

I will definitely look into getting some cherries. I haven't tried them post-op but I'll give it a whirl and see how it goes. I have been eating blueberries in my yogurt every morning and did read that berries/cherries can help.

I am hoping this is more to do with ketosis/weight loss than the foods I'm eating. So far from what I've read, I am eating mostly low-purine foods. I do eat red meat as far as ground beef (ground meat is about the only meat I tolerate well these days) and I don't want to give that up.  

*Lindsey*

Cuter_w_Curves
on 10/2/12 3:53 am, edited 10/2/12 3:54 am - Oshawa, Ontario, Canada
VSG on 01/08/13
I switched him to ground turkey, ground pork or a blend of the two for a while and no one seemed to have issues with the taste. Might be worth a try. Ground pork is usually easy to get, and ground turkey is becomming so popular it is easier too... If it works for you... Costco often has a great deal on it.

Blueberries are ok but from what I remember the levels were nearly double with cherries... Though blueberres can be ok too.

Dr Sullivan VSG Jan. 8th, 2013!
  Lost 100 lbs in a year post op with a VSG. 

NorthernStar
on 10/2/12 3:56 am - London, Canada
RNY on 06/25/12
I have been using ground turkey but hadn't though of pork. I guess I will be trying this more instead of beef. I will definitely get some cherries today too to try.

*Lindsey*

Monica9811
on 10/3/12 1:20 am - Peterborough, Canada
that was great information shared on here-my husband also suffers from gout and he buys the real cherry juice at the local health store and drinks it like crazy when he feels an attack come on and it does work!

ShallowGirl
on 10/2/12 5:54 am, edited 10/2/12 5:55 am - Richmond Hill, Canada
RNY on 06/22/12

Pass the word onto your family doctor so s/he can follow u (sorry if that's where you heard it from, my kittens are all over the keyboard) and from now on consider yourself a person on a "gout" diet.

The tendency to produce uric acid is genetic, so even a person on a low purine diet can have a problem.   If diet doesn't work there are medications to reduce uric acid, but as always try diet first.

Also WATER WATER WATER.

This should IMPROVE your joints and what you may have considered arthritis before. Good luck!

(I say nothing about ketosis having good and bad sides !)

The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams. Eleanor Roosevelt    

Most Active
Recent Topics