Opti question

tmlf959
on 10/17/12 8:21 am - Hamilton, Canada
 Haven't started yet as I don't have my surgery date as of yet, but am just curious as to how the doctor chooses how long you will be on Opti Fast.  Have seen on here that some are on it for 5 - 6 weeks, and others for only 2.  

time2changeme
on 10/17/12 9:47 am
From my experience every doctor and centre seem to follow different timelines, but the purpose of opti-fast is to reduce the fat around your liver, clean out your system and lower your BMI.
Some centers allow a few veggies, sugar free jello, and popsicles, clear broth, clear coffee and tea, while others are much more limited.  Currently I am on 6 weeks of opti-fast.

Good luck with your date and keep me posted :-)
BluEyedCin
on 10/17/12 10:07 am
From what I understand they go by your weight...so the heavier you are the more time you will be doing Optifast.

ARE YOU FROM NORTHERN ONTARIO

IF SO EMAIL ME AT

[email protected]

SURGERY DEC 3 2012

(deactivated member)
on 10/17/12 10:20 am - Straford, Canada
the rule of tumb I heard was 1 week of optifast for every hundred pounds, I was over 300 at the beginning so I got three weeks.  Not positive this is fact but that's what I heard. 
4-Jane
on 10/17/12 10:35 am - Canada
 After my ultra sound the NP said my liver measured at 19 she said that was not that enlarged does this have an impact and I thought the opti was designed to shrink the liver not the fat around the liver . 
 Respectfully Jane
(deactivated member)
on 10/17/12 11:57 am - Peterborough, Canada
RNY on 10/19/12
I think it is to shrink the fat in and around the liver. If you watch one of those RNY surgery on you tube, they show you the streaks of fat in the liver. If the liver is fatty it is slippery and difficult to move our of the way to get to the stomach. Anyway that is what I was told.
Onward and
Downward

on 10/17/12 10:41 am - Canada
RNY on 11/07/12
As someone mentioned above, at TWH they told us in the nutrition class that you do 1 week of Optifast for each full 100 lbs.  So if you're in the 300's, you do 3 weeks, 4 weeks if you're in the 400's, 2 weeks if you're in the 200's, etc.

Referral to registry: Oct 21, 2011    Orientation (TWH): Feb 22, 2012     Surgery: Nov 7, 2012

Come to Toronto East End Coffee Nights! Click here for details.

starry957
on 10/17/12 11:02 am
Hi - I got 3 weeks with St Joe's, but I do think it has to do with weight.  On a "related" note, does anyone know if there is any harm in doing Opti a little bit longer than required? 

Kerry

January 8th, 2013 - VSG with Dr Paul Sullivan (St Joe's Toronto)

(deactivated member)
on 10/17/12 12:21 pm - Straford, Canada
 Kerry, do you mean post surgery?  are you talking a rny?  why would you do that?
starry957
on 10/17/12 12:26 pm

Hi Ian...no, I mean pre-op - some people are doing longer stints of Opti and I just wondered if there was any harm in doing longer than my required 3 weeks of Opti pre-op....was just curious.
I'm having VSG.....

January 8th, 2013 - VSG with Dr Paul Sullivan (St Joe's Toronto)

Most Active
Recent Topics