I am home and feeling sorry for myself

(deactivated member)
on 10/19/12 7:01 am - barrie, Canada
It was about two weeks before I started feeling not so sore, before I could sleep comfortably but it took me about a month to get a routine down with pills, vitamins, food etc and I was an emotional wreck for weeks, why did I do this to myself, this is never gonna get better, one night my DH found me on the bathroom floor a crying mess I was begging him to take me back so the Doctor could undo the surgery, so what you are feeling is so normal everyone goes through this, my best advice is take it one day at a time sip sip sip, move move move and rest when you need to. we are all here for support. it will get better, at 6 months out I love my RNY.
dna
on 10/19/12 8:06 am - Canada
I had a hard start with an extra day in the hospital too.  Looking back I am glad I started walking and haven't stopped.  That really helped with the gas as well as GasX strips.  I took some percs in order to sleep.  I also took over my 10 year olds double bed and my husband propped it up with pillows.  I slept in his bed for 3 weeks.  Then propped up on a duvet in my own bed for a week.  Then I was finally able to lay flat and sleep on my side.  It was not fun !  However, major surgery will do that to you.

You will make it.  You will figure it out.  You will learn.  For now (and this is what I also wish I realized) just concentrate on liquids.  Don't force food.  Make sure you sip,sip,sip SO much.  I didn't even worry about vitamins for the first few weeks. 

I had a HUGE turnaround at 4 weeks out.  I know that seems like forever to you right now but when it happens .. it's amazing :) 

Chin up !  Give yourself rest, fluids and lots of good movies :) 
Referral:  August 2011  Information session:  November 2011
Nut/Psych/SW: Spring 2012  Surgeon Meet:  July 6, 2012  Surgery: August 30, 2012

(deactivated member)
on 10/19/12 8:14 am - Straford, Canada
 i took about two days at home, so day 5 before i felt better.  i had a real problem getting a bowel movement as the narcs really screw me up.  i had to take some milk of magnesia but once that kicked in i was much better.  

heal well, relax and imagine you're on a towel on a bea*****uba...  nap some too, just not too long each one or your sleep will be realy messed up (worse)!  
(deactivated member)
on 10/19/12 8:17 am - Oshawa, ON, Canada
VSG on 01/28/13
Just a (((hug)))
JJ_
on 10/19/12 8:52 am
Aww Niki, sorry to hear that you are not feeling the best.  It does get better though.  Hang tight, nap often, and keep sipping and tooting.

Judy
Niki L.
on 10/19/12 9:08 am - Canada
RNY on 10/15/12
I am feeling a little better had a shower and some cream soup got my vitamins all in time so happy with that been walking a bit but plan to do more tomorrow water has been good so been so good with protein got i would say 1/2 in so far but really been trying to stay on top of water and vitamins .

Julia P.
on 10/19/12 9:48 am - Canada
RNY on 10/16/12
It sounds like you had a great day!  Have a good long sleep tonight, and I'm sure you'll feel even better tomorrow.

Referral - December 2011 * Orientation TWH - March 13th, 2012 * Nurse Practitioner - April 17th, 2012 * Nutrition Class - April 17th, 2012 * Social Worker - April 24th, 2012 * Dietician - May 1st, 2012 * Psych - May 1st, 2012 * Surgeon - August 17th, 2012 * PATTS - Sept. 12th, 2012 * SURGERY TEGH, Dr. Cyriac - October 16th, 2012

Starting Weight - 320 lbs   *   Current Weight - 178 lbs  *  Goal Weight - 165 lbs 

Megan M.
on 10/19/12 9:36 am - Canada
You are barely out of surgery so what you are feeling is perfectly normal. Stick to your fluids, sip on them all day and gradually your intake will increase. It's important to stay hydrated. Follow your centres guidelines for food stages but remember that you know your body best.

Had RNY surgery July 22/11, St. Joe's Hamilton, with the awesome Dr. Scott Gmora.  Had abdominoplasty August 2/13, Scarborough, with equally awesome Dr. Michael Kreidstein.

P_Floyd
on 10/19/12 2:57 pm - Canada
 No worries, you have to adjust and it takes time. The pain gradually goes away until you can start sleeping on your side and moving gets easier. It takes a little while to get the eating and water down so it looks like you've got a good start on that. 

You will likely notice little chages as the weeks go by, then all of a sudden something big will happen. Clothes start to fit loose and then some become just too big and you have a moment. Those little victories are sweet when they happen and help pay for all the time, effort and pain that comes from these big changes. Savour them when they happen and don't sweat the little stuff.

Long you live and high you fly 
And smiles you'll give and tears you'll cry 
And all you touch and all you see 
Is all your life will ever be.

DSOTM

Most Active
Recent Topics