Freaking out BIG TIME!!!

SleeplessinAbitibi
on 10/21/12 6:29 am - Canada
VSG on 10/23/12
I am flying to Montreal tomorrow morning.  I have a couple of medical tests to get done then tues 8 am i check in the clinic for surgery.  Not sure what time the surgery is ...

I'm sick to my stomach with worries...I don't know how i'll make it through the night on monday at the hotel before cabbing it to the clinic in the morning.  My husband is only coming up to montreal to get me out on thursday so its just me til then :(  We  both agree that its better that he has a few days off after the surgery to get me back home and stay for a *****e works in ottawa).

I am absolutely questionning this decision...I know...I know...you all lived through it...but I'm thinking those that didn't aren't posting about it!

I know I'm being such a cry baby ...sorry ...I actually sat down to write about the benefits of Optifast...but this is what came out... Yikes.

Nathalie

“Nothing tastes as good as being thin feels.” 

Beth1970
on 10/21/12 6:36 am - Canada
RNY on 10/11/12

I understand. I had a mini freakout about two days before.  The morning of surgery, however, I was feeling great and had total conviction that this was the right thing, and that I would be ok.  Maybe try distracting yourself. There is so much to do in Montreal.  Get out there and enjoy it, it will take your mind off your worries for a while.  All the best!

Moselle
on 10/21/12 6:37 am - Athens, Canada
Being nervous is totally normal; all I can offer is that I think it was the best decision I ever made and I really wish I had done it years ago.

I'm certain that you will be fine. It's an exciting journey you just need to put aside the worries and focus on the future....it's a big step but it's truly not that bad.

I wish you all the best.  Hang in there.

"Success is the sum of small efforts, repeated day in and day out." -Robert Collier
Join Kingston Ontario WLS Support Group - Online @ OH 

HW: 267         SW: 248       GW:155       LW: 132      CW: 143-148      

Onward and
Downward

on 10/21/12 6:38 am - Canada
RNY on 11/07/12
I'm scared too.  And it's the surgery itself I'm scared of, just like you.  I keep telling myself that the vast, vast majority of people who go through this surgery get through it just fine, and then a large percentage lose the weight they want to lose and live a happy and healthy life.

You'll be just fine, and so will I.  But that doesn't stop us from being scared. 

Referral to registry: Oct 21, 2011    Orientation (TWH): Feb 22, 2012     Surgery: Nov 7, 2012

Come to Toronto East End Coffee Nights! Click here for details.

2mar
on 10/21/12 7:01 am
RNY on 09/20/12
I agree - being nervous for a surgery is normal. Maybe I am a bit "abnormal" (nops - no comments needed on this one- LOL). Actually I was excited that my date was there - I know I was in excellent hands - and I know that I was going to start on my next chapter.
You are in such a wonderful city - go for a nice walk then go back to the hotel and try to meditate a bit if you are still a wee bit nervous.
I am not a pro like some of them here. I only had my surgery 4 weeks ago and I feel great. (and I feel SO much better already)  Any type of medical intervention has 2 components  - a physical one and a mental one. Try to gear up for the surgery and look forward to it. Try to mentally prep yourself for this surgery. The outcome will be better.
Try to make a list "why" and for whom you want to get healthier. Also write down what this will have as implications - how much further you will be able to walk - maybe take up a new hobby --
You will be in excellent hands - and take a nice deep breath once in a while.
All silliness aside - I do understand your feelings - and for sure I do NOT make fun of them!  But this is an exciting time -
Take care and all the best ! I know you will do well!! Keep us up to date on how you are doing.
(deactivated member)
on 10/21/12 7:21 am - Peterborough, Canada
RNY on 10/19/12
Natalie we did the same thing. Hubby dropped me off at the hospital because my surgery was so late in the day. He didn't want to but that is what we decided. It worked out great. The doctor phone hubby after my surgery and then he called me in the hospital that night and we talked. You are so busy with things they want you to do or have a brief nap that you won't have time to have company or hubby there anyway. I know how you feel I was worried but once I GOT TO THE HOSPITAL  and was wearing my beautiful  gowned attire I relaxed and knew I have made the right decision.

You'll do great. Many Hugs Deb
(deactivated member)
on 10/21/12 7:50 am - Straford, Canada
Folks that think are going to get nervous!  Folks that think too much are going to get VERY nervous! No major surgery is without risks.  Now relax.  Breath in!  Breath out!   Go do what you need to do!  And good luck with your decision!  
Diana B.
on 10/21/12 8:12 am
RNY on 07/20/12
I was doing really well until the day before my surgery. I woke up the day before and found everything was getting on my nerves... I was really on edge. Then when I was out in the car, I just burst into tears and cried for about half an hour. It was really bizarre but I found I felt a little less tense. Then I seemed to be "nesting" late into the night. I was organizing and making sure everything was just so.

I think what you're feeling is normal. Before you know it, you'll be done and home.
Referral Sent to Ottawa WMC December 16th 2010
Info Session/First Appointment March 25th 2011
Surgical Assessment January 3rd 2012
Dietitian and Behaviourist February 15th 2012
Abdominal Ultrasound May 8 2012
Surgical Education Class June 13 2012
Surgeon Appointment June 28 2012
SURGERY!!!!! July 20 2012

(deactivated member)
on 10/21/12 9:26 am - Canada
If you think your nervous now just wait till your about to go into the operating room. I was pretty scared at that point. But dont worry you will do just fine : )
sam1am
on 10/21/12 9:34 am
Nathalie,

I know you're having a tough time now, but you are going to be fine!  Try to concentrate on the reasons that you need/want this and as someone else said, make a list of all the things you'll be able to do and how much healthier you'll be.

Big hugz!

Sandy

Sandy                                           

"The best way to cheer yourself up is to try to cheer somebody  else up"                     

Mark Twain                                                       LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCatAnimation One      

Most Active
Recent Topics