Referral sent in Sept. 14/12

zillah
on 10/22/12 2:01 am
My referral was sent in to Guelph Sept. 14/12.  Does anyone have any idea how long it will take for orientation to take place.  If I am accepted that is, please keep your fingers crossed for me. 
ToNewBeginnings
on 10/22/12 2:03 am
Sorry I can't answer your question, I just wanted to say

Good luck to you.

-Yvonne

(deactivated member)
on 10/22/12 2:27 am
 Hello Zillah

Welcome to OH.  My family Doc sent mine in end of November 2011 and I just had my orientation
last week, October 18.   Almost a year to orientation.  After you attend this mandatory session then you have 3-4 appointments with the Bariatric Clinic (if you wish to proceed).  I am looking now at a 4-5 month wait for surgery and they say that is fast, compared to the past process.  I hear other hospitals are faster i.e. Humber River.

Hope this helps!

Marina
Kitchener, ON

Dar_Mab
on 10/22/12 2:56 am - Kitchener, ON, Canada
RNY on 03/08/13
It seems to vary but some are suggesting that the information they are receiving is that things are speeding up a bit.   

I was 14 months from referral to Orientation but Marina (above) for example was 1 year.     So that's an improvement

Good luck!

HW: 305   SW: 272  CW: 155  Height: 5'4"

PatXYZ
on 10/22/12 3:03 am
When you say your referral was sent to Guelph, do you mean your doctor sent it to the Bariatric Registry and the Registry has sent your file to Guelph? Your doc cannot make a referral directly to Guelph, it must be made to the Bariatric Registry. I just want to make sure your doc did the referral right, or you'll be waiting even longer. The form your doc needs to fill out and fax to the registry can be found on their website: www.bariatricregistry.ca
I had OHIP approved Duodenal Switch surgery with Dr. Dennis Hong at St. Joseph's Hamilton on March 7th, 2012. Want more information on the DS in Ontario? Send me a private message!
Monica M.
on 10/22/12 4:34 am - Penetanguishene, Canada
Like PatXYZ said, your referral has to be sent to that registry.

You'll be accepted, as long as your BMI is in the proper range, 35 with comorbities, or 40 without.

Good luck to you!

zillah
on 10/22/12 11:28 am
I talked to the receptionist and she  said she faxed if for the Dr. and she had sent it to Guelph.  I will phone first thing tomorrow morning and ask her to send it to the registry in Windsor.  Thanks for telling me this so I can have it corrected before too much time is lost.
zillah
on 10/22/12 11:33 am
My BMI is 42.  I wanted to lose a few lbs. but I would be under 40 so I will maintain until I am approved.  I have sleep apnea, diabetis,lots of joint pain,etc.  I hope they approve me.
Monica M.
on 10/22/12 9:28 pm, edited 10/22/12 9:28 pm - Penetanguishene, Canada
good luck. Give the dr's receptionist that website, so the doc can register with the registry, and make sure the referral goes to the right place.

if you have diabetes, that's a comorbidity, which means you only need a BMI of 35.

Nanato2
on 10/22/12 5:19 am - Canada
VSG on 02/12/13
My doctor sent my referral to the registry end of Feb and I received a letter in April for June orientation.

You may not have orientation until 2013 but you never know. Good luck. 

Referral- March 2012, Letter April 19, Orientation TWH- June 6, NP - July 3, Sleep Apena test July 16, Internist and SW  - July 17, Nutritional class - July 23, Dietician appt. July 30th, Psych-Social appt - Aug 20th. Follow up with doctor sleep apena Aug. 28th  Surgeons appt. - Dec. 14th Dr. Jackson. Surgery date - Feb 12 2013 - VSG   

Most Active
Recent Topics