Medical knowladge needed!

BrigitteD
on 10/25/12 10:22 am - Sumerstown, Canada

Today I had an appointment with my cardialogist in Ottawa.  I ave a regurgetating mitral valve and lately, a couple of months, I have been caughing allot.  The doctor prescibe me with a diarutic (water pills).  My question is.  How is that going to affect me regarding my surgery.  I'm almost 6 months out and doing fine.  Is there anything I should be doing on this new medication.  Thank you for the knowledge!

Highs weigh   241                                      Referal: November, 2010
Before opti     231                                      Surgery date: May 10, 2012
After opti        220                                           

JJ_
on 10/25/12 11:05 am

Hey Brigitte,

I would call the bariatric centre and ask to speak with the Nurse Practitioner.  That would be the person to ensure that you get the correct answer to your question.

Good luck on this.

Judy

PatXYZ
on 10/25/12 12:29 pm

Is this a new diagnosis or something you've known about for a while? How has it been managed in the past? Have you previously taken meds related to this? Has your blood pressure been high? Were you advised to follow a low sodium diet?

I would make sure your cardiologist knows about the surgery, and that your bariatric team knows about the heart condition to keep each other in the loop, or in the event of an emergency, but they don't appear to be directly related to one another. The med is designed to lower blood pressure by flushing unneeded fluids out of your body. Just be careful you don't become dehydrated. Coughing may or may not be related to the vagus nerve which can be irritated by any number of things in or around the chest cavity, from stomach surgery to high blood pressure, so it is very hard to say whether the cough is related to surgery, your heart condition, both, or neither. I would speak to the cardiologist in more detail about your concerns.

I had OHIP approved Duodenal Switch surgery with Dr. Dennis Hong at St. Joseph's Hamilton on March 7th, 2012. Want more information on the DS in Ontario? Send me a private message!
BrigitteD
on 10/25/12 9:44 pm - Sumerstown, Canada

It's an old condition, never took medication fr it.  The caughing has been going on since before surgery.  The cardiologist said that theres blood that stays in my left ventrical and thats what's causing my caugh.  My presure is 117 over 73. Pulse 60.

Before opti     231                                      Surgery date: May 10, 2012
After opti        220                                           

Leslie W.
on 10/25/12 2:44 pm - Cobourg, Canada

I would speak to your pharmacist.  For some medications coughing is a side effect. Unlikely it is your diuretic. Are you taking any blood pressure meds? With some diuretics you need to make sure you keep an eye on your potassium levels. Like the others have said let your centre know and they can make sure they follow you as well. Having weight loss surgery will probably do your heart good.

Referral: August 2010 Orientation TWH: May 25, 2011  NP: June 8/11, f/u sleep clinic June 7, abd u/s June 14, SW: June 28/11  Nutrition Class: July 5/11, Dietician Aug 09, Psychologist Aug 25 Surgeon Sept 16th Surgery Date: Oct 11/11 HW:287, Opti wt: 260 SW: 242
My Angel is Sheri TK   
(deactivated member)
on 10/25/12 8:43 pm - Straford, Canada

Diuretics are one of the oldest and most common treatments for a host of cardiac happenings.  They basically make you pee so the overall volume of liquid in your body drops, thus dropping you blood pressure, which in turn can lower problems in your cadiovascular system (ie. heart valve dysfunction) and renal system (kidneys, bladder).  As mentioned, your potassium levels should be monitored as the extra peeing flushes out our body's potassium and magnesium, and the potassium should be replaced or it can cause more serious cardiac issues.  Foods high in potassium are bananas and spinach, among others (google foods high in potassium).  There are diuretic pill combinations (ie. moduret) that help conserve potassium, but until your doctor knows that's an issue they generally don't use it.  

The number one issue folks have with diuretics is for forgetting to take them.  Don't forget! If your coughing is due to the blood slowing down around your lungs, thus causing fluid build up there and you don't take the diuretic as ordered, the docs may either question your compliance with simple instructions or begin more rigerous drugs/tests.  Neither of these are necessary if you're taking the diuretic and its working (they are highly effective).

The good news is diuretics are a very old and well researched drug.  Its also very easy for the medical community to counteract its effects.  If there's something the docs need to rectify before surgery they will.  Relax, take your pills and enjoy the ride!  

BrigitteD
on 10/25/12 9:50 pm - Sumerstown, Canada

Thank's Ian by the way I already had surgery.  I'm 5 months out.  Just wanted to make sure I keep doing well, so  I guess it's going to be low sodium and high potassium for me.  Thanks for the info!

After opti        220                                           

(deactivated member)
on 10/26/12 2:15 am - Straford, Canada

sorry Brigitte, I should have realized that!  Like Mon says make sure your pharmacist knows about your WLS.  And, I don't know about your locale but in mine I find not a lot of pharmacists seem to know much about WLS except we need suplimental vitamins.  If I were still in Etobicoke I think I would go a few extra kms and just use the pharmacy in the TWH.   Anyway. hope your coughing resolves!  

Monica M.
on 10/25/12 8:50 pm - Penetanguishene, Canada

ensure that your pharmacist is aware of your surgery.

Most Active
Recent Topics