Don't know if I'm doing things right...

SleeplessinAbitibi
on 11/2/12 2:05 am - Canada
VSG on 10/23/12

I am on the phase 2...full fluids of my post op diet.  I get about 450 - 500 calories per day and I manage about 40 gr protein.

I get most protein from yogurt and 1 protein shake per day...(split in half for 2 snacks)  I am following the suggested diet that says:

1/2 cup cereal, snack (1/2 shake), lunch cr soup or yogurt 1/2 cup, snack (1/2 shake) dinner cr soup or yogurt. (I hate cr soup so i pretty much just eat yogurt..greek)

Does that seem right? Can't get an answer from nut where my surgeon is located so I'm on my  own here....I should start mushy food on nov 6 (2 weeks post op) so I guess then I'll be able up the proteins to 80mg...80mg is the right number right?

Very confused herel....

Nathalie

“Nothing tastes as good as being thin feels.” 

Julia P.
on 11/2/12 2:11 am - Canada
RNY on 10/16/12

Your food intake looks good, but the protein is a bit low.  My guide for the Full Fluids stage had me drinking 2 protein shakes a day, and each has 30g of protein (1/3 of my pre-mixed shake at each meal/snack x 6 meals/snacks). Also, I add unflavoured protein powder into my cream soups and greek yogurt for extra protein (the brand I have is Isoflex Whey Protein Isolate). In total, I was taking in about 500-600 calories on average during that stage, and averaging 80-90 grams of protein.

I hope this helps!

Referral - December 2011 * Orientation TWH - March 13th, 2012 * Nurse Practitioner - April 17th, 2012 * Nutrition Class - April 17th, 2012 * Social Worker - April 24th, 2012 * Dietician - May 1st, 2012 * Psych - May 1st, 2012 * Surgeon - August 17th, 2012 * PATTS - Sept. 12th, 2012 * SURGERY TEGH, Dr. Cyriac - October 16th, 2012

Starting Weight - 320 lbs   *   Current Weight - 178 lbs  *  Goal Weight - 165 lbs 

2mar
on 11/2/12 2:32 am
RNY on 09/20/12

congrats -

I go on: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/logout. It is free and it will keep track of your protein intake and carbs. You should aim for 60-80 protein but try not to go over since it will tax your kidneys.

I take a protein drink each day - and in stage 3 I took 2 protein drinks. Really important to get to the 60 per day. I take BioX all natural choc. drink and it has 28 gr protein in each drink. I bought mine at Popye - and you can taste them first to see if you like them.

What I did in stage 3 that worked well for me is I would prep veggies (broccoli - spinach - carrots etc..) and sweet potato and did put it in ice cube trays (measured the cubes before hand so I knew how much it was ) and once frozen I did put them in  plastic Ziploc. Always good healthy food on hand. I also did steam some salmon - did put some nice dill on it and a bit of lemon juice - I did blend it in stage 3.  Now in stage 3 you can make your own soups if you like them better - so maybe that will help.

Do you have the weight loss surgery book? I do find that very helpful to start making healthy recipes. There is also a great recipe section on this chat - but I do find that these tend to be a bit more towards stage 4  - and long term.

Once you get the hang of stage 3  - it is fun because you can experiment with more different tastes. Good luck :)

Mar

Judge your success by what you had to give up in order to get it.

PatXYZ
on 11/3/12 12:01 am

Eating a high protein diet doesn't harm your kidneys... it's the other way around - IF you have kidney problems, you MAY be told to follow a moderate protein diet. But for people without kidney issues, there is not problem eating even 200g of protein daily.

I had OHIP approved Duodenal Switch surgery with Dr. Dennis Hong at St. Joseph's Hamilton on March 7th, 2012. Want more information on the DS in Ontario? Send me a private message!
(deactivated member)
on 11/2/12 3:38 am, edited 11/2/12 3:42 am - Straford, Canada

LIke others have recommended I think you need more protein.  Have you tried heating a serving of beef or chicken broth and then stirring in a scoop of unflavoured protein powder (it changes the texture somewhat but not the taste)?  Perhaps you feel well enough to try some cream of wheat or oatmeal?  Heal well!  

SleeplessinAbitibi
on 11/2/12 4:56 am, edited 11/2/12 4:57 am - Canada
VSG on 10/23/12

I havent found an unflavoured protein powder...very limited supply where I live..but I did order the unjury starter basket...hopefully I get some way to add protein...I was thinking in the mean time to just add a shake to my day...?

Nathalie

Julia P.
on 11/2/12 5:31 am - Canada
RNY on 10/16/12

I think that's a good place to start for sure - that would add an additional 20-30 grams of protein, and get you closer to the 60-80 grams recommended.

Let us know how the unjury starter basket is - I'm curious about it!

Referral - December 2011 * Orientation TWH - March 13th, 2012 * Nurse Practitioner - April 17th, 2012 * Nutrition Class - April 17th, 2012 * Social Worker - April 24th, 2012 * Dietician - May 1st, 2012 * Psych - May 1st, 2012 * Surgeon - August 17th, 2012 * PATTS - Sept. 12th, 2012 * SURGERY TEGH, Dr. Cyriac - October 16th, 2012

Starting Weight - 320 lbs   *   Current Weight - 178 lbs  *  Goal Weight - 165 lbs 

(deactivated member)
on 11/2/12 5:38 am - Straford, Canada

that would probably be a good idea, I was just trying to come up with a little variety for you (I know at your stage I was chomping at the bit for the next stage because I was so bored of the same stuff every day)!  I don't know if there's a GNC near you? Most major grocery stores carry an unflavoured protein powder of some description, though don't know how some would taste.  Good luck with it, you're asking the right questions and heading in the right direction!  Enjoy the ride!  

Ellie2
on 11/2/12 10:09 am

Wow, that's amazing.  I had the sleeve too; about two and a half weeks ago and I am not even close to that amount of protein.  I can only tolerate about 1 cup (1 scoop) of the protein shake 2x's / day, yogurt, pudding, and soups.  I guess we are all different.  I also cannot tolerate whey so have to use the Arbonne protein shake which has 20 grams of protein / shake (1 cup water).  I am getting in most of the water and now longer consuming any juice.  I love the soups.  I just started taking vitamins again (calcium, multi, vit D, vit B12).  I am getting in about 400 calories / day. I never feel hungry of course so really have to force myself to eat.  Still tired from the surgery but walking 2 blocks, twice daily which gets me out of the house when I get stir crazy...even today when it was so cold out.  

So...I think you are doing fine...keep it up! 

How are your incisions?  I have one on the right side that is a little slow in healing...I think it went through the muscle.  

Good luck!

SleeplessinAbitibi
on 11/2/12 11:15 am - Canada
VSG on 10/23/12

Hi Ellie...I was lucky, I never had any problems with liquids.  From the get go I've been able to do the 60 - 80 oz of water.

I have added a protein shake ( I use the lean shake vanilla ready) got it at GNC while still in Montreal, don't have a GNC here.

I started vitamins again today... same as yours.  I havent been as good as you with the walking.  Im giving myself another week to recoop and then will start.

My incisions are great...intensely itchy!!! Getting the staples out on Monday and can't wait!

Good luck upping the proteins...sure is a challenge.

Nathalie

Most Active
Recent Topics