Puree Textured...

SleeplessinAbitibi
on 11/3/12 2:34 am - Canada
VSG on 10/23/12

Hi all...

I am nearing the end of the full fluid diet Yippee! I need some ideas for the next phase..the puree textured menu.  I have bought 2 books to help with cooking after wls...1) the complete Weight-Loss Surgery guide &  diet program 2) the complete idiot's guide to eating well after weight loss surgery.

Both have recipes but I find that the recipes are all mixed in together...some are titled week 3 and 4...(not sure what 4 is because I only have 3 phase..full fluid, puee textured and regular food after that.  So they will be ok down the road but not immediately...

I'm a little leery about swallowing anything heavy...it will have been 4 weeks that I drink or spoon eat all my meals..2 wks on opti and now liquids. 

How did you guys proceed at this point? Any suggestions of meals other than eggs and cottage cheese???

Thanks in advance,

Nathalie

“Nothing tastes as good as being thin feels.” 

jewel-twin
on 11/3/12 3:01 am - Canada

you could try refried beans and a little cheese.... maybe poached eggs and melba toast.... pasta sauce with lean ground meat and cheese.... purred can really be anything stewish...moist chopped up... maybe dark chicken meat veggies a little low fat gravey in a blender? 

My understanding is anything that is the consistency of baby food... I would leave out any pastas/rice/bread stuff... focus on protien sources...

Juls

Family Dr. 06/05/2012    Referral Received 06/28/2012 Orientation 08/01/2012   NP 08/27/2012
SW 08/28/2012              Nut Class 08/27/2012
NUT 10/01/2012              PS 10/01/2012
Surgeon Dr. Cyriac 12/07/2012  **SURGERY  JAN 30, 2013**

fooh.png

ShallowGirl
on 11/3/12 3:03 am - Richmond Hill, Canada
RNY on 06/22/12

Trial and error.

Eventually you are aiming to eat "normally" so you take out what you want and try them, pureeing them if necessary.  

I found I could not add meats back in, even pureed.  They are still very hard on my stomach at 4+ months.  Bread & wheat products are also a problem.  Some more solid cheeses stick, and eggs are a no go for me.  But everyone is different.

This is only 2 weeks of your life.  All you need to do is survive, get your fluids in, your supplements and your proteins.  How you do that is up to you.

The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams. Eleanor Roosevelt    

sam1am
on 11/3/12 3:18 am

A popular recipe at your stage is cottage cheese or ricotta with some pureed marinara or spaghetti sauce heated in the oven or microwave with shredded cheese and or parmesan sprinkled on top.

Best wishes!

Sandy                                           

"The best way to cheer yourself up is to try to cheer somebody  else up"                     

Mark Twain                                                       LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCatAnimation One      

Julia P.
on 11/3/12 3:21 am - Canada
RNY on 10/16/12

Here's what I've been having since starting purees:

- Chili (well blended first) with some Sour Cream 

-  Tilapia, steamed until very soft - with a dill sauce that is low fat mayo, LF sour cream, and some seasoning. 

-  Salmon, also steamed with lots of dill sauce

-  Poached Eggs

-  Hard Boiled eggs mixed with low fat mayo (even smoother than egg salad)

-  Tuna mixed with lots of mustard and low fat mayo 

I've also still been having some items from full fluids (yogurt, cottage cheese, applesauce, cream of wheat/oatmeal). 

Good luck!  It's fun to start having "real" food again, even if it's very mashed up!

Referral - December 2011 * Orientation TWH - March 13th, 2012 * Nurse Practitioner - April 17th, 2012 * Nutrition Class - April 17th, 2012 * Social Worker - April 24th, 2012 * Dietician - May 1st, 2012 * Psych - May 1st, 2012 * Surgeon - August 17th, 2012 * PATTS - Sept. 12th, 2012 * SURGERY TEGH, Dr. Cyriac - October 16th, 2012

Starting Weight - 320 lbs   *   Current Weight - 178 lbs  *  Goal Weight - 165 lbs 

mermaidz
on 11/3/12 6:23 am - Brampton, Canada

Tracey and Karen run the Recipes section in the Ontario section. Lots of great simple recipes there

Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional.  

(deactivated member)
on 11/3/12 6:32 am - Peterborough, Canada
RNY on 10/19/12

They even have a section called Pureed foods. Last night was my first night on pureed and I had 2 poached eggs on one slice of brown bread toasted (trimmed off the crust) It was ambrosia, food for the gods. I loved it. 

Today I found a contained of bean and beef soup I had in the freezer so I heated it and then whizzed if with my hand blender. It made it smooth like a bean soup and then I had 1 triangle of laughing cow lite on 2 melba toast. Great lunch. 

There is an interesting green bean and tuna recipe in the pureed section I might try next.

Good Luck.

2mar
on 11/3/12 6:34 am
RNY on 09/20/12

hummus with garlic is also a nice change - on melba toast. I took saltines before I went to melba toast - since they do dissolve more with saliva.

mermaidz
on 11/3/12 9:43 am - Brampton, Canada

I didn't think there was any other way to make hummus  ....lol

Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional.  

Hanneli xoxo
on 11/3/12 10:37 am - Sudbury, Canada
RNY on 10/30/12

it is Autumn! Eat turnip, squash, mashed potatoes! mmmmmmmmmmmm

Most Active
Recent Topics