vitamin help

wants2Bfitagain
on 11/9/12 10:53 pm
I am so confused on when to take what with what and when witn food or no food can someone please help
Mulit twice a day
Iron with vit c 3 times a day
Calcium not sure if that is 1 or 2 ir 3 a day with vit d
My b12 is a pill every other day but morning or night
I am scared to take at wrong time and. Will make me sick
Thanks

Referral-April 20th  Orientation- June 12th Windsor
NP- July 23, Nut Class Aug 7th SW Aug 9th DR Aug 14th
2nd NUT & SW Sept 27th
Surgery Nov 6th Dr. Hagen HRRH

Patm
on 11/9/12 11:07 pm - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

Calcium citrate should be taken twice a day not at the same time as your multi. Usually vit D to help the absorption of the calcium

(deactivated member)
on 11/9/12 11:40 pm - Peterborough, Canada
RNY on 10/19/12

I may be wrong but I am only taking the iron once per day. Am I wrong.

ShallowGirl
on 11/10/12 3:10 am, edited 11/10/12 3:11 am - Richmond Hill, Canada
RNY on 06/22/12

I only take iron 1x a day.  

I get the chewable calciums, so when I want a "candy" I pop a calcium, made my life much easier.  650 mg + 400 IU D

I got calcium petites but they were NOT petite!

B12 I get 1200 and take it 3x a week.  Depends on your dosage.

I also (after 3 months) got a chewable multivitamin.  So again, I can pop a sugar pill 2x a day (since my 3 month apt) no worries.

I have a chewable vitamin C that I take with the iron.

It was such a pain taking all the pills.

The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams. Eleanor Roosevelt    

PatXYZ
on 11/10/12 7:23 am

It depends on the dose and type of iron. I only take mine once a day at bedtime.

I had OHIP approved Duodenal Switch surgery with Dr. Dennis Hong at St. Joseph's Hamilton on March 7th, 2012. Want more information on the DS in Ontario? Send me a private message!
C. McArthur
on 11/10/12 12:14 am - Toronto, Canada

I take my calcium plus d in the morning@around 9 am them my multi @11 am. Then I do the same thing in the afternoon. I get a B12 shot once a month so that I don't have to worry about another pill. So far I'm not on any other supplements. Hope this helps. Cathie

" Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a bag of chips in one hand, glass of wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO-HOO what a ride". Love always Cathie        
PatXYZ
on 11/10/12 7:12 am

What about iron?!

Women need to take iron, period. The only clinic currently recommending it is St. Joe's, but it's going to become a universal recommendation soon as they are standardizing this. The ASMBS recommends iron for ALL menstruating women to help to avoid anemia. The risk of a menstruating woman becoming anemic after RNY is greater than 65%. Do yourself a favour and get on some heme, polysaccharide or carbonyl iron right away.

Also - where is your multivitamin? You need 200% of the standard dose of a complete multivitamin daily.

I had OHIP approved Duodenal Switch surgery with Dr. Dennis Hong at St. Joseph's Hamilton on March 7th, 2012. Want more information on the DS in Ontario? Send me a private message!
C. McArthur
on 11/10/12 10:49 pm - Toronto, Canada

I am not menstruating, I had a hysterectomy about 15 years ago. Also I have not been reccommended iron yet. I haven't done my first set of blood work yet.I take 2 prenatal multivitiams daily.

" Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a bag of chips in one hand, glass of wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO-HOO what a ride". Love always Cathie        
PatXYZ
on 11/10/12 10:57 pm

Did you have your iron levels checked pre-op so you'll be able to see if they are trending downward before deficiency develops? Many post-menopausal and non-menstruating women struggle with iron post-op and it would still be prudent to take a supplement prophylactically. Your centre will not tell you to take one until you are actually deficient, at which point it is very difficult to correct with only oral iron. You may want your family doctor to check this monthly for 3 months to see if there is a trend going on so you can correct it before it becomes serious.

cutekatie
on 11/10/12 1:02 am
RNY on 05/16/12

What does the paperwork from your clinic say?

My schedule is:

multivitamin 2 pills taken at the same time - so not twice a day take them togther

iron with vitamin C - unless you have iron issues it's once a day right before bed

calcium is 2-3 times a day depending on the dose. I take 2 X 250mg for a total of 1000mg a day with vitamin D

b12 is taken with your multivitamin but I'm sure you could take it at night with your iron

I was told 2 hours between iron/multivitamin (multivitamin has iron in it) and calcium as your body can't absorb both at the same time

Your clinic should have reviewed this with you so lookback and read the paperwork to confirm the answer.

HW 282 OW 273 SW 247 CW 232

Most Active
Recent Topics