I need a direction - please

IveGotMoxie
on 11/12/12 4:45 am

Hi.

Are there tests I can just start or book ahead of an orientation session to move myself forward as much as possible?

Upper GI, Sleep lab...etc.

Where, when and how do you book these?

Is it all covered under OHIP?

So many question that I am sure you have all answered at some point - if you have a link to my best bets, that would be greatly appreciated.

-K

Referral: April 21, 2010 and October 19, 2012  Letter: November 9th, 2012           Orientation: February 4th, 2013  Nurse and Dietician: July 24th, 2013   Social Worker: September 17th, 2013    Internist:  October 3rd, 2013    Dietician and Psychologist: October 4th, 2013    Surgeon Appointment with Dr. Gmora: October 30th, 2013    Surgery: December 2nd, 2013

St. Joe's Hamilton

Patm
on 11/12/12 4:58 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

I booked tests through my GP. I did a sleep test because it had been a long time since my last one. I did the upper GI because I was having some stomach issues. It just happen to be around the time I was applying for my RNY so they were sent in. I also had a letter sent from my Cardiologist stating his approval of the procedure and the medical issues I have.

CraigMacgregor
on 11/12/12 5:05 am

Yep, you can do them all.  You should have been given a list of what you'll require in your orientation letter.  Take that to your Doctor and he"ll request the tests so you can go to the lab at your local hospital and get them done.  Sleep tests also have to be referred by your doctor.  The sooner the better, you want to have lots of time to correct any problems they find.  It doesnt cost anything, completely covered by ohip You also want to follow up with your dr to make sure these tests get sent to the clinic and you should get copies of all of them yourself Just in case they get lost  (happens all the time)  dont assume anything and your clinic will love you for doing their jobs for them

Referral June 13 2012,     Meeting Dr Reed Sept 10/ 2012,    Orientation 9/20/12                            Nurse, SW Nut visit Nov 10/6/12    Post op class 1/22 /13   Surgeon appointment April 9/13  Surgery May30/2013

IveGotMoxie
on 11/12/12 5:21 am

Okay.

I did not receive a list of test when I received my orientation letter.

Could someone post that?

Do you have to do all tests?

I am one of those that just cannot take the weight off after years off flucutation, I am fortunate not to have ANY other problems medically.

Please direct me.  :)

Referral: April 21, 2010 and October 19, 2012  Letter: November 9th, 2012           Orientation: February 4th, 2013  Nurse and Dietician: July 24th, 2013   Social Worker: September 17th, 2013    Internist:  October 3rd, 2013    Dietician and Psychologist: October 4th, 2013    Surgeon Appointment with Dr. Gmora: October 30th, 2013    Surgery: December 2nd, 2013

St. Joe's Hamilton

(deactivated member)
on 11/12/12 5:26 am - Bumfuknowhere, Canada

Every centre does it differently so you may want to post which centre you are going through.

IveGotMoxie
on 11/12/12 5:34 am

St. Joseph so far

St. Joe's Hamilton

(deactivated member)
on 11/12/12 5:39 am - Bumfuknowhere, Canada

If you mean St. Joe's Hamilton I wouldn't get too much done or you may end up getting it done twice.  Others that have gone through there needed scopes and ultrasounds but they wanted their surgeons to do the scopes and so on.  As Mermaidz posted, you may need nothing or you may need everything so you may as well wait to see.  The only thing I would personally get done is a sleep study if you snore or feel the need to nap or wake up with a headache.  Other than that, I would just wait it out.

mermaidz
on 11/12/12 5:29 am - Brampton, Canada

What tests you'll need is dependent on the Surgeon or Doc. You might not need a sleep test. You might not need a CPAP machine. You might not need a GI.

I know you're anxious to get started but you don't know exactly what you will require til you're a bit further along in the process.

For example, the only thing I required was a sleep study test.

If you have known issues, ie heartburn, gastric reflux etc then maybe a GI.

Try to be patient lol.. I know it's hard.. trust me

Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional.  

Jodi77
on 11/12/12 5:53 am - Scarborough, Canada
RNY on 02/05/13

I did nothing on my own.  At my "meet the surgeon" appointment she went thru possible ones I might need and ended up booking an Scope (which I think is an upper GI).  I'm sure if you're pro-active and ask lots of questions along the way, you will be told when and what you need.

Jodi

“You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. You're on your own. And you know what you know. And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go...” 
 Dr. Seuss

Orientation: March 2012      Blah Blah Blah     Surgery:  February 5, 2013

Niki L.
on 11/12/12 8:03 am - Canada
RNY on 10/15/12
I did not have to have any test done before surgery and did have high blood pressure i went though humber

Most Active
Recent Topics