feeling slammed yet again by this system......

mona8
on 11/19/12 8:54 am - Kingston, Canada

Sorry for the whine....but I am just so sick of being let down by this disorganized system.  Referred on Aug 25 2011, orientation in Ottawa Nov 2 2011.........nothing until May 2012 ( mind you wasn't expecting anything until then ), informed by Ottawa that they " referred my file to Kingston.  Contacted Kingston and was told that I would need to be scheduled for orientation as Ottawa referred rather than transferred me.  Explained my journey to that point to Kingston's NP, so given appts. for NP, bloodwor****ra sound, h-pylori, SW, and DT.  All complete by end of July, but informed I was referred to internist as my HbA1c was 8.2 .  Received a letter from internist's office informing me that my case was triaged as not urgent, and would be considered for an appointment within 12 months.  Then in August informed by Kingston's bariatric team that the internist would be running a clinic for bariatric pt's only starting in September and that I would be one of the first on the roster to meet with her.   At this appointment I was encouraged to ask my GP to start a low dose of insulin to bring my sugar down a bit more, so against my judgement I did so and have been injected daily since August.   I hadn't heard anything by October I phoned to give a reminder.  Informed at that point that the internist clinic had not come to fruition but that the internist would be meeting with people referred to her within 9 months from their original referral and was promised that I would see the internist by January and the NP would have my name added to a cancelation list.  Well, just received the appointment letter to see the internist today, May 3  ,2013.  I was also told during my last conversation with the NP that  even though my most recent HbA1C was in the normal range, Toronto would not clear me for surgery without clearance from an internist.

I am sooooo fed up with this system, which was expanded in 2009 specifically to help the province beat the Diabetes epidemic it's facing.  I have done everything requested of me since my orientation in Ottawa, all vitamins daily, eating 6 small meals a day, diabetes managed, quit smoking, monitoring my sugars throughout the day, drinking 4 liters of water daily, working out every other day.  I feel like I'm being punished for my efforts.

(deactivated member)
on 11/19/12 9:30 am - Guelph, Canada

Don't feel bad... Breathe.. Relax... Good things come to those who wait and I waited 22 months from referral to surgery my friend waited 30 months... Your ball IS rolling...just VERY slow

(deactivated member)
on 11/19/12 10:20 am - Peterborough, Canada
RNY on 10/19/12

Sorry you have some tough breaks, Your turn will come.

sam1am
on 11/19/12 11:02 am

That is a long wait and it is very hard!  Hopefully things will start to move a lot quicker from here on out.

BTW, I love your avatar!

Sandy                                           

"The best way to cheer yourself up is to try to cheer somebody  else up"                     

Mark Twain                                                       LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCatAnimation One      

P_Floyd
on 11/19/12 12:52 pm - Canada

That's a tough one, just just remember, it's not how many times you get knocked down, it's how many times you get back up that counts. Perseverance wins.

Long you live and high you fly 
And smiles you'll give and tears you'll cry 
And all you touch and all you see 
Is all your life will ever be.

DSOTM

JJ_
on 11/19/12 5:45 pm

Oh boy!  It sounds like the standing up of the Kingston Clinic has a few kinks to the system. 

Good luck.

Judy

Dar_Mab
on 11/19/12 9:12 pm - Kitchener, ON, Canada
RNY on 03/08/13

Wow I can see why you are disappointed in the system. I don't think your time is necessarily unusual but all the bouncing around and lack of being able to get an internist appointment sounds unusual.  I was referrred in April 2011 and never even got orientation until June 2012 --  almost 15 months later!     And now 7 months later I will only be meeting the surgeon in Dec .  And hopefully surgery will be Jan or Feb. So all in all about just under 2 years by the time I will have surgery.   Hang in there!

HW: 305   SW: 272  CW: 155  Height: 5'4"

Melissa.M
on 11/19/12 10:54 pm - Canada
Wow. I can understand why you're so frustrated. I would be, too. That really sucks and I'm sorry it's been dragging for you and hitting snags. I hope your day comes sooner than you expect.
mona8
on 11/20/12 4:49 am - Kingston, Canada

Thanks for the support everyone.  I appreciate it, and am trying soooo hard to keep my patience in tact.  This process has just really done a number on my head, and it gets even harder every time I see a someone who started with Kingston going through to see the surgeon so quickly.

cutekatie
on 11/20/12 8:34 am
RNY on 05/16/12

Actually if you have been reading all the posts it seems like people are getting rushed through Kingston and then being told they are missing tests and have to wait. 

Not sure what is worse - being rushed through then finding out that you have to wait or just having to wait in general but getting the proper tests.

HW 282 OW 273 SW 247 CW 232

Most Active
Recent Topics