Questions to ask at last meeting with surgeon...

gunnabehealthy
on 11/25/12 4:01 am

Hi! Been lurking around the board for a few months now, and finally going to post! I am meeting with the surgeon tomorrow for my last appointment!! WOO-HOO!! But what kind of questions should I be asking him? Hopefully I will get my date!! Have gotten the all clear from the rest of the appointments with the nurse, dietician, social worker and the internal medicine. Kinda of excited, but yet nervous as well. Not sure if I have lost any weight between meeting him the first time. Have been kinda having the "last" meal syndrome. Especially at Halloween!! It was bad for me. I am a chocoaholic!! There I said it!! Thanks for any advice in advance!! I have learned a lot in the last 6 months reading the boards. Thank you!!    

Lisa

2mar
on 11/25/12 4:18 am
RNY on 09/20/12

congrats - I had Dr. Hagen (he is wonderful). In regards to questions - that is different for everybody. My last appt. pre-op was very quick and yes he did give me a date and I also bought the optifast then and there ( so prepare for that)

If you want to review some possible side effect / risks / etc...  - you need to make sure you have all the answers. Anything that you feel you still have questions about (write down your questions - some of the appointments are really really quick).

You also need to know what , if any, meds you need to take the day of the surgery ( Dr. Glazer would have told you) and also if you need to bring a possible CPAP machine. (if you have one)

Good luck - as I said he is wonderful and really great!

ps - try to avoid going into "choc binges.." - try to find some strategies that will help you. Somebody at this chat said that "this pouch is a gift" and darn that did hit home with me... it is SO true. The cravings will still be there - (but I have to say that they are less in my case / but that can always come back)  so try to change that behavior "now".

Mar

Judge your success by what you had to give up in order to get it.

Paddycke51
on 11/25/12 6:08 am - Mississauga, Canada
Just wanted to ask if you see the surgeon twice? I have a appointment on Jan 4th and was told to bring my credit card. So beside this app't do I see the surgeon again?
gunnabehealthy
on 11/25/12 6:38 am

I did see the surgeon once at Humber and he explained the risks and complications of the surgery and what he recommended. Then had to do a few tests and appointments. Then got the "all clear" and have to see him again to get the date and opti. And I have been weaning myself off of diet Pepsi and chocolate and sweets in general. I realize it will be easier to do this now then later. I do think of this as a MAJOR GIFT being given to me, so I am going to play by the rules and make it WORK. I know it is not going to be an easy time of it, but in the long run I will be very thankful for this opportunity.

As for seeing your surgeon twice, not sure. Each centre is different.

Lisa

2mar
on 11/25/12 9:05 pm
RNY on 09/20/12

my second visit was... fast ...lol.  1 min - he asked if I had some more questions - I said no. That was it :) Went back to the secretary with him  who gave me a date and optifast. That was it. 

Good luck and keep us posted.

The first time I saw him at the bariatric center for the general info - meet the surgeon visit.

The second - and last one - is the one that you will have now - when I got the date and the optifast

Judge your success by what you had to give up in order to get it.

chipmunk_roasting
on 11/25/12 7:24 am - Ottawa, ON, Canada

In Ottawa, patients meet the surgeon once -- it's the next to last step.  (Pre-admission tests being the last.)

I have been starting to write down questions as they occur to me, as I meet Dr. Mamazza on December 6.

So far, what I have are:

1. Please show me (i.e. touch me) where the pouch will be located
  2. What would a stricture feel like
  3. What would an obstructed bowel feel like

I'd love to see other people's replies to your post.

Marilyn

aka mmm

Referral - March 2011 // Orientation - Ottawa - July 8, 2011 // Surgery - January 23, 2013

Most Active
Recent Topics