How to prepare for surgery next week

Zmimshen
on 1/7/13 6:13 am - Canada
RNY on 01/15/13

Yes it's me again... with everything going on I haven't had a chance to look again at the information I received and am now pretty clueless about what I have to prepare for the weeks to come.

The surgery is in 8 days and I have done nothing.

I would love to hear from you what are the most important things I should take care of now...

Other than the protein shakes (stocked up during the last Costco sale) what should I buy?

the more details the better!

I am at your mercy 

Orientation: Apr. 3, 2012; SW&NP: May 29, 2012; Nutrition class: June 19, 2012; Nutritionist: Aug. 29, 2012; Surgeon: Nov. 9, 2012; Surgery date:January 15, 2013; Highest weight: 357     Start of Opti weight: 338.6     Surgery Weight: 322.4   

Kathleen11
on 1/7/13 7:39 am - Burlington, Canada

Campbell's cream of chicken soup, low fat Greek yogurt, cream of wheat, plain oatmeal, lots of skim milk.  Different protein shake powders (your tastes might change) carnation instant breakfast - no sugar and boost diabetic.

Cuter_w_Curves
on 1/7/13 7:50 am - Oshawa, Ontario, Canada
VSG on 01/08/13

Carnation fat free skim milk.

Apple sauce - the no sugar added one.

Cottage cheese or ricotta.

Got measuring spoons? A good 1 cup measuring cup?

Gladware snack size containers. The package of small 4oz round ones. They are a lifesaver for going out.

A freezer thing for keeping things cold.

Oikos makes a 2% keylime that is smooth in individual cups. I got a 4 pack in case I need variety.

A book for the hospital if you are a "reader".

Dr Sullivan VSG Jan. 8th, 2013!
  Lost 100 lbs in a year post op with a VSG. 

JJ_
on 1/7/13 8:05 pm

I updated my will and medical power of attorney (have dependents - worst case scenario taken care of).

Don`t buy too much applesauce.  I ate about one package of 4 containers and then I remembered that it is constipating so I didn`t want to eat too much more.

I bought too much soup too.  That was donated to the food bank, so other than being out of pocket it didn`t go to waste.

Did you get your vitamins?  In Ottawa, we are to bring them to the hospital with us in our suitcase because the nutritionist came by and made sure we were ready for post-op life.

I bought ear plugs to no hear other noises at the hospital....ahhhh, heavenly.  I used the hospital gowns for ease of cleanliness (so my stuff didn't get leaked on).  Brought my own shampoo, body wash and hand cream, along with lip balm.  The lip balm I left in my CPAP machine case so it was there in recovery with me.  I asked the nurse to hand it to me and yanked it out to apply to my lips in the recovery room.  Bring it in a ziploc baggie so it doesn't roll off the table.

That is all I remember for now....

Judy

Most Active
Recent Topics