painful liver...???

Nancy_in_thunder_bay
on 11/30/12 11:47 am - Canada

has anyone else experienced liver pain after your gastric bypass surgery? im 9 days out and my liver is still very very sore.. if this is normal, how long does it take for the pain to go away?

(deactivated member)
on 11/30/12 12:10 pm - Straford, Canada

I have no idea but I am curious as to how you know its your liver causing the pain?  Does it radiate into a different area than say pain from your stomach or your new one (aka pouch)?  

time2changeme
on 11/30/12 12:14 pm

Hi Nancy I sure hope this pain doesn't last too long....

Just curious how do you know the pain is coming from you liver? 

Good Luck   Keep us posted.

4-Jane
on 11/30/12 2:49 pm - Canada

Welcome home and I hope your healing well

Respectfully Jane
Monica M.
on 11/30/12 7:13 pm - Penetanguishene, Canada

how do you know the pain is from your liver?

JJ_
on 11/30/12 7:18 pm

I didn`t have any liver pain.....however when they do the surgery laparoscopically, they have to move your liver out of the way to perform the surgery.

Have you talked with your bariatric centre about this?

Judy

Nancy_in_thunder_bay
on 11/30/12 9:34 pm - Canada

I didnt know it was my liver untill i went to see the nurse practioner at our bariatric clinic here in thunder bay.. i thought it was muscle pain, but she said she could feel the it was my liver.. she said because the surgeon has to move it out of the way to perform the surgery , its enflamed and very sensitive right now. she coudnt tell me how the long pain would last, said its different for eveyone, i know a few people who have had the surgery and none every complained about liver pain.. so i figured this would be the best place to ask.

ShallowGirl
on 12/1/12 1:56 am, edited 12/1/12 1:56 am - Richmond Hill, Canada
RNY on 06/22/12

I would call your surgeon.  He or she knows what she actually did during surgery, not a NP taking a guess.  She actually felt your inflamed liver, which is pretty good sign it's the liver.  Did she do any blood tests ?  Order an Ultrasound?

An inflamed liver can be from many thing including blocked bile ducts, (bad) ie from gall stones (common post WLS but usually not in the first 10 days). or even the bypass arm of your intestine  is blocked.  I'm not trying to scare you, it may be nothing, just that it should be the surgeon who figures this out.

Your SURGEON will know !!!  They will want to know too.  

The philosophy of surgeons re complications is to nip them in the bud, not reassure the patient and send them home without doing anything.

The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams. Eleanor Roosevelt    

Nancy_in_thunder_bay
on 12/1/12 2:19 am - Canada

i will try calling him on monday,., if i can find his number. im from thunder bay and had my surgery in Hamilton, Dr Envari was my surgeon, i didnt have a very good experience all around, i didnt even meet my surgeon before or after surgery, he sent his intern, so im not sure how much interest he will have in my problems now.. but i'll give it a shot.

she didnt do a blood test or any other test, just said it was normal.. hopefully she is right!

4-Jane
on 12/1/12 7:05 am - Canada

I would certainly feel confident with her level of expertise she is very good, careful and compitan

Respectfully Jane
Most Active
Recent Topics