TMI Thread - Have experience with fissures?

NorthernStar
on 12/11/12 4:47 am - London, Canada
RNY on 06/25/12

Does anyone have experience with fissures or any words of wisdom?

I have had on and off problems with hemorrhoids since sugery. For the most part I got this under control, until the last week. The pain is much worse and it lasts all day. Sitting is terribly painful, I have a hard time making it through the work day. I did some googling and think I might have a fissure now.

I am in so much pain I made an appointment to see my doctor tomorrow as well as take the day off so I don't have to sit. Has anyone else dealt with this?

*Lindsey*

Keeping off 133 lbs since 2012!

Referral to Bariatric Registry: May 2011   /   Surgery (HRRH): June 25, 2012         

Barbara8912
on 12/11/12 5:00 am - Canada

yes, although I came across my fissure not due to the surgery but an earlier colonoscopy.  For me the most important things that have helped are, use a stool softener and sitz baths.  The sitz bath can be purchased in walmart and the warm water encourages healing.  Your doctor may give you some nitroglycerin ointment which encourages the blood to the area to help healing but if your still suffering from hemorrhoids this sometime is a double edged sword as they also engorge and throb.  I dont want to dishearten you but I have had a fissue since july of this year and only now, thankfully, mostly to using a sitz bath I feel it is really healing.

NorthernStar
on 12/11/12 5:15 am - London, Canada
RNY on 06/25/12

Glad you are getting some relief! I hope I can get this under control soon, I am in a fair bit of pain and it's becoming difficult to manage work. I have been taking a stool softener daily pretty much since surgery but have bumped it up to 2 a day. I will definitely look into a sitz bath. Taking a regular bath with epsom salts does give me some relief.

*Lindsey*

mermaidz
on 12/11/12 8:30 am - Brampton, Canada

Aww Northern that's gotta be painful for ya. Sitz baths will help immensely.. esp if you put epsom salts in them. No it's not regular salt but a healing salt that won't sting but promote healing.

I know you're 6 months out but try adding a little bit of fruit to your diet. To soften your feces. Or eat more green leafy spinach too.

Such a shame you can't take Advil..I swear that stuff is the cure for all that ails

Good luck

Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional.  

NorthernStar
on 12/11/12 9:00 am - London, Canada
RNY on 06/25/12

Ya I will definitely try a sitz bath with epsom salt. I will make sure I pick one up tomorrow, hopefully this will help! I think you are right about the fruit/veg. I do eat a bit every day but I always eat my protein first so there's only so much 'ruffage' that I get. I will need to make a point of getting at least a bit more every day.

*Lindsey*

johjen
on 12/11/12 9:58 am

I had a fissure surgically fixed last year.  It started with pain and itch,  after a few weeks the fissure (pocket) would fill with a watery yellow fluid and break.  After it broke I would have a few days relief,  but it kept filling up and breaking repeatedly.  Mine was superficial, it was an easy day surgery to fix.. Although embarrassing, go see your dr.  

Message me if you Ned more info.

NorthernStar
on 12/11/12 11:10 am - London, Canada
RNY on 06/25/12

That sounds very painful! Glad you were able to get it healed up. I will definitely see my Dr and do what it takes to get this under control. Thanks for your input

*Lindsey*

JJ_
on 12/11/12 11:06 am

Since I had hard stools (since taking calcium supplements), I have added an evening snack of prunes.  This keeps everything soft enough to pass normally.

Good luck with this painful situation.

Judy

NorthernStar
on 12/11/12 11:32 am - London, Canada
RNY on 06/25/12

Prunes - good idea. I will swing by the grocery store to stock up on some more fruit/veg to add to my diet. I'll make sure to get some of these.

*Lindsey*

NorthernStar
on 12/12/12 2:07 am - London, Canada
RNY on 06/25/12

Just an update - I went to the Dr and she checked things out. It's NOT a fissure so I'm relieved at that. What has happened is my skin has torn and I have a fungal infection. I have prescription to clear things up so I hope I get some relief very soon!

*Lindsey*

Most Active
Recent Topics