Stall

Monica M.
on 12/12/12 10:25 pm - Penetanguishene, Canada

you're not in a stall if its only one week. you're not doing anything wrong. don't weigh yourself every week, once every two weeks is more than sufficient at this point.

karenbean
on 12/12/12 10:37 pm

Thanks sorry  if I missed this info in past but very busy mom of three young children i don't get as much time to read the info on OH. I guess there is a part of me that worries about this failing just like all the other things I have tried, but thanks for the info .

Monica M.
on 12/12/12 10:40 pm - Penetanguishene, Canada

i get that fear of failing. but in these early stages, you just really have to trust the process. If you think about it logically (calories in vs calories out) you'll realize that your body has no choice but to let go of that weight. Its past the 9 - 12 month mark that things get challenging. (for me, anyway)

Aca-Verity
on 12/12/12 10:40 pm - Canada
VSG on 06/06/12

Having a stall is "normal".....I've had several and, currently, am in one.....scales have been fluctuating by 2 lbs for the past 2 weeks...."this too WILL pass" !!! 

Verity

shrinkingeve
on 12/13/12 1:33 am - Ottawa, Canada
RNY on 11/15/12

If you have lost 38 lbs since we had surgery on the 15th of November you are doing amazing! If the scale slows now and then it is likely your body playing catch up. I am proud of you as you have done fantastic! I have lost several sizes but not near as many pounds as you my dear. I know it is working and I don't trust the scale the doctors can deal with that. I just keep following my nutritional plan and numbers, drinking water and exercising.......someone once said all roads lead to Rome....I have to believe that.

I run  The O.W.L.S. (Ottawa Weight Loss Surgery) Closet. We are a local clothing exchange and social group stemmed off of a couple of the local support boards on Facebook and also OH members for those having had or going to have WLSWe meet monthly for a large clothing exchange and potluck in the East end of Ottawa.

Feel free to contact me for details or add me on facebook: "Evie Katt"

Onward and
Downward

on 12/13/12 1:48 am - Canada
RNY on 11/07/12

No worries, Karen, you're doing great!  You won't lose weight at the same rate all the time, and you'll have little periods of time where the scale stays still, and you might even have a day where you gain a tiny bit - and then lose it again plus more over the next couple of days.  You're not doing anything wrong if you're following the program. :)

I started out losing about a pound a day on Optifast and just after surgery.  Now at 5 weeks out, I'm losing probably more like a pound every other day - AVERAGE - sometimes more, sometimes less.  And sometimes the scale is stubborn for a few days and then I get a sudden drop over the next couple of days.  That's just the way it is - our bodies aren't like clockwork, unfortunately! :)

Referral to registry: Oct 21, 2011    Orientation (TWH): Feb 22, 2012     Surgery: Nov 7, 2012

Come to Toronto East End Coffee Nights! Click here for details.

tbtilalaf
on 12/13/12 1:53 am

Yes like the above said it will pass....I stalled for 4 weeks!! stuck at 261 -263 during those 4 weeks (around the one month after surgery mark, aka 3 week stall...) never going above or below that amount...now it did pass and my weight has been coming off steady since.  (I was convinced i was eating to much...but at the clinic, they were surprised at how much i lost and said I am doing really great!) Don't worry and check you measurements I bet you are losing inches and not pounds for now! Clothes feeling a little Loose??

Good luck!

Melissa!

Surgery was July 19 2012, and I am doing great!! Only one regret....wish I did this years ago!!!!

PROUD MEMBER OF THE CENTURY CLUB!

macrobug1
on 12/13/12 11:13 am

My surgery was Nov 8th and I have been in a stall since Nov 22.  At the same time, my clothing is getting bigger and I am fitting into clothing I haven't worn in years. 

Yesterday I had my 1 month f/up at TWH.  Like always I parked at the Finch parking lot and took the subway.  Several months before the surgery I parked 1/4 the way down the lot and it just about killed me to walk to the train.  I had to stop and rest several times.  Yesterday I parked in the Siberia part of the lot and I walked the whole way to the train without a break and could have walked farther.  Those are the things to concentrate on during the stalls

The dietician I talked to yesterday suggested that I eat more.  She felt that the 500 - 700 cal was not enough and that my body was in starvation mode and holding onto the fat.  Basically my metabolism is slow.  She suggested upping the calorie intake to 800-900, adding another 15 - 20 minutes of activity and increasing my protein to 100gms.

She also told me to throw away the scales and weigh myself once or twice a month. Also that if I follow the guidelines WLS will not fail.  We will be successful!!

Good luck.  I know how frustrating it is.  But you will do just fine if you follow the guidelines.

Julia P.
on 12/13/12 11:21 pm - Canada
RNY on 10/16/12

This is OT, but congrats on your NSV, Macro!  It sounds like you got good advice from the NUT (and apparently I'm the only one who didn't get a 1-month NUT follow-up for some reason!)

Referral - December 2011 * Orientation TWH - March 13th, 2012 * Nurse Practitioner - April 17th, 2012 * Nutrition Class - April 17th, 2012 * Social Worker - April 24th, 2012 * Dietician - May 1st, 2012 * Psych - May 1st, 2012 * Surgeon - August 17th, 2012 * PATTS - Sept. 12th, 2012 * SURGERY TEGH, Dr. Cyriac - October 16th, 2012

Starting Weight - 320 lbs   *   Current Weight - 178 lbs  *  Goal Weight - 165 lbs 

macrobug1
on 12/14/12 3:35 am

It was a group session with the Nut and NP. I requested a private meeting with Katie because of the stall

Most Active
Recent Topics