Feeling overwhelmed...

homegrl21
on 12/16/12 8:13 am - Toronto, Canada
RNY on 12/10/12
Tmw will be one week since my surgery. Physically I feel great. I'm really impresse actually how well. But I feel over whelmed when it comes I the drinkig, eating, vitamins. It's almost as if there is not enough time in the day to get everything in. Does anyone have advice on how to handle the full fluids stage? I took a two hr nap today and its thrown me way off. I know my body needed the rest but its frustrating. maybe I'm just pushing too much.

Onward and
Downward

on 12/16/12 8:30 am - Canada
RNY on 11/07/12

This is a really difficult stage.  Naps do throw you off, but you need them for your body to recover, so don't beat yourself up about not being able to get everything in.  Every day is a new day, and you'll get more and more in as you go along.  Just get in what you can, and rest when you need to.  And try to walk when you can as well.

It gets better and easier!  I'm almost 6 weeks out now, and the more you can eat in the later stages (like puree and soft), the easier it is as well to get in the protein you need without spending every waking moment eating something.

Referral to registry: Oct 21, 2011    Orientation (TWH): Feb 22, 2012     Surgery: Nov 7, 2012

Come to Toronto East End Coffee Nights! Click here for details.

dna
on 12/16/12 8:35 am - Canada

It is pretty overwhelming at first.

Slow and steady wins the race at this stage.  Sipping, sipping all the time.  Whether it's protein drinks or water or what your centre recommends for you to drink/eat at this stage. 

I also napped almost everyday at a week out.  and then the 2nd week out. 

Sounds like physically you are doing great which is wonderful !  Keep it up :)  It will all fall into place.

Referral:  August 2011  Information session:  November 2011
Nut/Psych/SW: Spring 2012  Surgeon Meet:  July 6, 2012  Surgery: August 30, 2012

P_Floyd
on 12/16/12 9:06 am - Canada

Yup that's normal for where you're at just now. It takes practice to get eating and drinking right as well as all your vitamins in. It gets easier. Enjoy the naps even though they throw you off some. It's all about healing at this point. No need to push yourself yet, plenty of time for that a little later on. Walking, resting and recuperating is the message of the day. After a few weeks have past you will find this easier to manage plus that great feeling will grow. 

Long you live and high you fly 
And smiles you'll give and tears you'll cry 
And all you touch and all you see 
Is all your life will ever be.

DSOTM

(deactivated member)
on 12/16/12 9:07 am - Straford, Canada

Good you're feeling great! angry I made a schedule with the foods planned and vitamins needed and the targets for water by the hour.  Might sound like a task and a half but it wasn't bad and at your stage there is little change from day to day.  Enjoy your naps and relax!  kiss

mermaidz
on 12/16/12 9:46 am - Brampton, Canada

Yup..you're normal. Overwhelmed. A little freaked about getting everything in. Fussing over the fluids.

It's allll normal.

Write out a schedule for yourself so YOU don't have to remember what you took or what you're supposed to take when. Like Ian suggested.

You'll be fine. It gets easier. Eventually.

angry

Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional.  

homegrl21
on 12/16/12 10:06 am - Toronto, Canada
RNY on 12/10/12
Thank you all for the support!! I will try that tmw. I think it's the 30mls in 15 min that make it hard. But I know it will take time. An I can see how after puréed when you can have up to 60mls every 15 that will make it even easier.

You guys rock!!!

jdance
on 12/17/12 4:36 am - Canada

Everyday you will get in more and more and it'll all just become routine.

Listen to your body, if you need a nap then take one. After next week you'll feel much better than this week and so on.

concern is normal, just keep asking the questions and the forum will help you out.

congrats on your surgery. Enjoy

Julie E.
on 12/16/12 10:48 am - Brooklin, Canada
RNY on 12/06/12
Hi there, I am only 4 days ahead of you and I am having all the feelings and issues that you are. Earlier this week it took me until 8 at night to get all my breakfast in. Not nearly getting all my liquids or protein in. One day at a time is all I can do.

Hope things get earsier for you as well. I am having alot of back aches lately too.

Take care Julie. I see Dr. Starr on Tuesday, I will see what he has to say.

Cheers to the new you                   heartJulie

homegrl21
on 12/16/12 11:07 am - Toronto, Canada
RNY on 12/10/12
Thanks Julie!
Do you think it's still gas pains your experiencing?

I've honestly been fine pain wise. Just lacking in energy but it goes up alittle more everyday.

The first day home when I tried to chew my vitamins was not fun. I've since learnt to crush them first and then add alittle unsweetened fruit purée. That is much better.

I know this will take time. I just want to make sure I wasn't missing anything and doing the best I could.

Shannon

Most Active
Recent Topics