How long should I expect my hair to fall out for?

jrharr
on 12/27/12 8:48 am
RNY on 08/24/12
I'm 4 months post surgery & have been losing my & lots of it for a couple weeks now. I knew it would happen but didn't think it would be as bad as it is! I wonder how long it will fall out for & if anyone knows of something I can do to help. I did go buy BioSil but not sure if it'll help. A women losing their hair isn't cool
JJ_
on 12/27/12 10:06 am

There is not any sort of shampoo that stops hair loss, nor any pills. Biotin will help with regrowth, not only on your head, but anywhere else it grows on your body. My excess hair loss started in month 3 and month 4 was the worst. After month 8 post-op hair loss slowed and I am in the regrowth stage now (1 year post-op). It does get better, whether you are using any shampoo of any formula.

You naturally lose your hair in cycles. However, with surgery the trauma has induced a marked increase of hair loss. Then the cycle ends and you are back to normal. For the hair loss stage I added a special hair catcher to my bathtub drain. Worked like a charm and had to clean it out every couple of days. I knew this was perfectly normal and didn`t sweat it. My hair is looking better now.

Judy

jrharr
on 12/28/12 4:24 am
RNY on 08/24/12
Thank you for your reply Judy!
Pat-60
on 12/27/12 12:11 pm

Losing hair is not always going to happen to everyone.  Some people just do after any type of surgery and some don't.  The best thing you can do to prevent it is to up your protein.  Try to get in at least 100 gm even if it means adding a couple of protein drinks a day.  I went for 100-120 per day of protein and didn't have a problem with hair loss.  In fact my hair has improved and is thicker with eating properly now and getting in more protein than I did prior to surgery.  You can spend a lot of money on different products that don't necessarily work.  If you can't eat that much protein then drink it and you will notice a difference.

Nov 29/10   Referred to St Josephs Hamilton
Dec 6/10    Orientation
Mar 9/11     Nurse, Dietician & Social Worker
Mar 31/11   Internest
May 26/11  Surgeon & pre-surgery class
JULY 11/11  VSG, hernia repair by  Dr Mehran Anvari
jrharr
on 12/28/12 4:22 am
RNY on 08/24/12
I will increase my protein, thanks for your reply!
Patti K.
on 12/28/12 12:10 am - Kingston On, Canada

Jrharr....my hair loss was from about 3-7 months....post op.  Infact, my hair did a 180....It really thinned out...but in time...you notice the new growth...good luck....Patti K.

jrharr
on 12/28/12 4:23 am
RNY on 08/24/12
Thank you Patti
spooky104
on 12/28/12 3:16 am - London, Canada
RNY on 07/26/12

im at month 5 and i started noticing the hair loss right after surgery but has gotten way worse in the forth month on...  i have to clean my tub drain hair catcher after each use.. and blow drying and straighten my hair is super bad lol hair everywhere.. im cleaning up my hair more than my cats now.   ive gotten some bald spots on the back of my head as well.. i take biotin but don't really notice a difference im just trying to wait it out :(

Referral Date: Feb 3,2010        Orientation Date: April 7,2011  Guelph
Nurse and Dietitian: July 4, 2011 they canceled my apt cause no one was ava :(
Rescheduled Date: August 24 2011  2nd Apts: October 4 2011
Nutrition Class: March 27 2012    Meet the surgeon: April 17 2012

Colonoscopy: June 4 2012   Surgery: July 26 2012

jrharr
on 12/28/12 4:29 am
RNY on 08/24/12
Your story is the same as mine, lol! I'm loving the weight loss but not thrilled about the hair loss. I find myself cleaning up my hair as well that's all over my bathroom floor (which is more than what my 3 cats shed) after blow drying & straightening. I thought about keeping it to make a wig, lol. Thanks for your reply!
sam1am
on 12/28/12 3:20 am

Mine fell out from 6 mos to a year.  I survived and it grew back, lol.  Not cool, but small side effect in the big picture!

Sandy                                           

"The best way to cheer yourself up is to try to cheer somebody  else up"                     

Mark Twain                                                       LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCatAnimation One      

Most Active
Recent Topics