VSG or RNY?

zillah
on 1/2/13 12:39 am

I have heard that if a person has scar tissue from abdominal surgery they may have to have VSG instead of RNY.  I have had 2 hysterectomies.  ONe scar is low down and the other is a long vertigal one.  The horizontal scar involved a large fibroid that was wrapped around the bladder and bowel and the other surgery was because of ovarian cysts.  I suspect that I have alot of scar tissue because the area is sensitive when I lean into the kitchen counter while I'm working.  Is scar tissue a factor in whether you have RNY OR VSG?

Patm
on 1/2/13 1:52 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

Your surgeon will be able to answer this better but I would guess that your scar tissue is too far down to effect the WLS surgery.They will do what ever is safest.

Cuter_w_Curves
on 1/2/13 1:53 am - Oshawa, Ontario, Canada
VSG on 01/08/13

I am going to say they are going to have to determine that one for you hun.

I've had a hysterectomy but mine was laparoscopic, and it was done by a Dr who's work they know so they would have done either. I need my VSG for other reasons.

Dr Sullivan VSG Jan. 8th, 2013!
  Lost 100 lbs in a year post op with a VSG. 

Vi-Vi
on 1/2/13 3:09 am
VSG on 12/13/12

I went into surgery on 13 Dec of this year & my surgeon told me they would  do whatever was safest for me!  I was ok with that!  So because of previous abdominal surgeries (appendix, gallbladder & c-section) I ended up getting a VSG!  I'm really ok with it!  I'm a strong believer that  things happen for a reason!  But now everything I've learnt is all about RNY so slowly but surely I'm educating myself about the VSG!  Good luck

HW: 352.6.  Opti wt: 331,   Surgery wt: 308. CW: 190.4

Don't trade what you want most, for what you want at the moment!!   --Eggface

zillah
on 1/2/13 3:30 am

I have had gall bladder surgery.  It was done laparascopically.  I hope I spelled that right.  It sounds like you may have scarring in some of the same areas as I do.  I'm okay with whatever they end up doing.  I think I will look into finding info on VSG too.

sam1am
on 1/2/13 7:01 am

It will depend on your surgeon.  I had caesarian scars, appendix scars and one laproscopic surgery that I had scar tissue from and that was enough for me to qualify for the VSG, that I really wanted.

I hope you get what you are hoping for!

Sandy                                           

"The best way to cheer yourself up is to try to cheer somebody  else up"                     

Mark Twain                                                       LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCatAnimation One      

Corinna H.
on 1/2/13 7:15 am - Guelph, Canada
RNY on 07/03/13

hmmm I didn't know this was a thing. I've had a few abdominal laprascopy surgeries for endometriosis, and gall bladder removal. I wonder if this is something I will need to consider. All the best everyone.

HW: 293.4 SW: 261.4 CW: 161 Referral - Dec 5/12.  Orientation: Feb 21/13. Upper GI and Ab u/s March 7/13. RN, NUT, SW Apr 8/13. 1st appt Dr. Klein Apr 11/13. fu NUT May 2/13. Dr. Glazer May 27/13. 2nd appt Dr. Klein June 3/13. Opti June 19/13. PATTS June 20/13 . RNY - July 3, 2013   

time2changeme
on 1/4/13 10:17 am

In Guelph Dr Reed, made the decision for me, I had a VSG in October and he was excellent!!

Good Luck

Most Active
Recent Topics