Are you drinking enough?

mermaidz
on 1/3/13 4:05 am - Brampton, Canada

http://www.ontariobariatricnetwork.ca/dehydration-tool.aspx

I think for the newer folks this is a great article and gives you an idea if you are drinking enough or not. Personally I like the colour stick that tells you what colour your urine should be ( I always did like picture books better frown)

I know some people (like me) are lazy and won't bother to read it so I'll post the essentials :) It's really something you need to concentrate on despite how much of a pain in the butt it is.. Especially if you actually work out, sweat and breath hard (not that way Ian/Shell!)

Early signs of dehydration:

• Increased thirst
  • Dry, sticky mouth
  • Reduced urine output
  • Dark yellow urine (concentrated)

Moderate signs of dehydration:

• Extreme thirst
  • Dry appearance in mouth
  • Eyes aren’t tearing (dry eyes)
  • Urine has decreased to half as many times in 24h (usually 3 or fewer times)
  • Urine is very dark in colour (dark amber or brown)
  • You feel dizzy or lightheaded relieved when you lying down)

Severe dehydration is life-threatening and needs immediate attention and emergency care: anxiety, confusion, tired, unable to stay awake. Dizziness not relieved by lying down, faintness, weak rapid hear rate, cold clammy (wet) skin, no urine, loss of consciousness.

Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional.  

Laura H.
on 1/3/13 5:23 am - Canada

Thank you Mermaidz for  posting this.  It is very important.  In reading, I believe I was partially dehydrated when I went in for surgery.  I believe it was the opti.  I was told opti was made so you would be very thirsty and drink lots.  I was and drank 90 oz of water besides my opti but could never get my thirst quenched.  Then when I went in for surgery, I was always thirsty and had dry mouth.  I found after surgery and even now,  I do not pee often.  However, I am chalking this up to the bowel that was moved up and off of my bladder.  I can go longer without peeing and don't dribble (TMI sorry) like I used to.  Just out of surgery though, you need to recognize the signs of dehydration. Good article.

Laura H.

mermaidz
on 1/3/13 10:27 am - Brampton, Canada

I noticed that too Laura!.. I used to have.. "issues" sometimes about the bladder and they've alll gone!

Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional.  

Patm
on 1/3/13 5:42 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

Thanks for the timely reminder. I think I sometimes forget to keep drinking. Although I think I am better since I am back to work.

(deactivated member)
on 1/3/13 6:52 am - Peterborough, Canada
RNY on 10/19/12

Thanks Mermaidz, I always drink fine when I am at home but when I am out for the day shopping or at a workshop (like today), I do not drink enough water.

Great subject and good reminder for us all.

(deactivated member)
on 1/3/13 10:15 am - Guelph, Canada

For days when I'm on the run I keep a case of water in my trunk and a box of crystal lite in my glove box .. In the winter I will keep a few in the front seat with me so it does not freeze solid on me in the summer I will get a cup of ice cubes from any fast food place for free and pour my water in that to chill it quick 

Most Active
Recent Topics