Confirmation...

gunnabehealthy
on 1/4/13 12:40 pm

I had something happen this week that has confirmed that I am doing the right thing. My 41 year younger brother had a heart attack and was sent to St. Mary's in Kitchener and had a total blockage of one of his main arteries and once they opened that up there was 3 more blocked, therefore he now has 4 stents in his heart. The doctor said it was mainly hereditary that caused it and lifestyle. He was also told that if he doesn't change things NOW, he will see him by the time he is 55 for a bypass surgery!! So, the way I look at it, if I don't do something soon, that could be me as well! So I see this as confirmation that I am suppose to have this surgery! I am though, starting to get scared, nervous and excited for my surgery!! I know that we all feel this way, but I was really starting to doubt that I was doing the right thing! So, thank you for listening to my story.

orcoco
on 1/4/13 1:26 pm

Sorry to hear about your brother...that would be very scary.  Maybe the 2 of you can work together and use each other for support.

Referral to Humber April 1, 2012     Orientation September 4, 2012     Meet Surgeon October 5, 2012      SW, Dietician, Nurse November 16, 2012     Dr Glazier Nov 22, 2012  Start Optifast Nov 23, 2012   Pre-Op Nov 27, 2012  Surgery December 14 with Dr. Starr

JJ_
on 1/4/13 6:36 pm

It is interesting how some signs appear on the road of our journey.  Sorry to hear about your brother. 

It is perfectly normal to be nervous/excited   I didn`t get that way until the day of surgery.  Do you have your surgery date?

Judy

gunnabehealthy
on 1/4/13 7:12 pm
Yes, it is strange how you get signs along the way! And yes, I do have my surgery date of February 26th at HRRH with Dr. Hagen. Maybe we can support each other, but he has different views on life than I do. But you never know, he may want to be my walking buddy?? Stranger things have happened!! LOL
Megan M.
on 1/4/13 7:38 pm - Canada

Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel isn't a train.  I hope your brother has a sound recovery, and I know you will do well,along your way.  Good luck.

Had RNY surgery July 22/11, St. Joe's Hamilton, with the awesome Dr. Scott Gmora.  Had abdominoplasty August 2/13, Scarborough, with equally awesome Dr. Michael Kreidstein.

time2changeme
on 1/4/13 9:29 pm

Thanks for sharing your story, wishing you both all the best!

(deactivated member)
on 1/4/13 10:47 pm - Peterborough, Canada
RNY on 10/19/12

Thanks for sharing your story. I  hope your brother makes a full recovery.

Patm
on 1/5/13 1:00 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

I have a similar family history. It is scary and a good reason for getting healthy. Good luck on your journey to being healthy

NorthernStar
on 1/5/13 3:10 am - London, Canada
RNY on 06/25/12

Sorry to hear about your brother, I hope he has a speedy recovery! It is scary but it's good you see this as a wake up call. I had a similar incident recently with my dad who is very ill and I'm glad I have taken steps to prevent the same things from happening to me.

*Lindsey*

Keeping off 133 lbs since 2012!

Referral to Bariatric Registry: May 2011   /   Surgery (HRRH): June 25, 2012         

Most Active
Recent Topics