VSG question

WLSoujourn
on 1/11/13 9:39 pm - Canada

Happy Saturday folks:

Just curious about VSG and some of the medical reasons for having it...I am open to whatever surgery the Dr. believes would be best for me, so I am really just asking this for curiosity sake.  I understand that they do the VSG is you have had previous surgeries and may have scar tissue...my question is, what kind of surgeries would cause scar tissue to present a problem.  I had a hysterectomy about 8 years ago, with the incision beginning at the belly button and going down to ... well, you know ... it was a large, vertical incision with 30 or more staples.  It has healed very nicely (at least from the outside LOL)

I know the Dr has the final say, but just curious to know what others experience has been...in other words, what surgeries caused the scarring that prevented them from doing a Roux En Y?

Thanks

Kim

REFERRAL:   Sept 24/12    ORIENTATION LETTER: Nov 7/12  ORIENTATION: Dec 19/12 @ TWH   REQUEST TRANSFER  FROM TWH TO  HAMILTON:  Dec 21/12   CONFIRMATION OF TRANSFER TO HAM:  Jan 3/13  SW:  June 5/13     NUT:  June 5/13          NUT CLASS:  Aug 2013         MEET SURGEON:   Aug 2013         SURGERY DATE: Sept 20, 2013

Dani34
on 1/11/13 10:20 pm - Canada
VSG on 10/21/13
I had colon cancer. I had a bag for 6 months, so that caused scar tissue which was confirmed via CT Scan. I also had chemo and radiation which has caused damage to my colon. My colon is very sensitive. I would be concerned with the possible dumping with the RNY for myself.

~Danielle

GP Referral: Summer 2012 Orientation: December 17 th, 2012  Dietitian/Social worker and Nurse Clinician January 31, 2013  Post OP: September 19th 2013 Surgery: October 21st, Dr.Smith  (VGS) 

mermaidz
on 1/11/13 10:27 pm - Brampton, Canada

I am gonna take a wild guess here and say that the hysterectomy is too far down to impact a RnY.

The Dr has his recommendation... but you have the responsibility for researching what surgery is right for you.

The "Gold Standard" is a RnY but that doesn't mean it's best for you personally.

Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional.  

cchdryder
on 1/11/13 11:21 pm
VSG on 01/14/13

I had my gallbladder out 30+yrs ago & it was open surgery, then a couple of years ago I had hernia surgery in the same area, were they inserted mesh & the dr said he might not be able to get around it, so vsg for me!  And I was so intent on the rny.

Referral: June 22, 2012  Orientation: July 16, 2012 HRRH Keele
Surgeon's appt: July 25th RD, SW & RN:
Aug 10, 2012 
Surgery:  Jan 14, 2013              

Nanato2
on 1/11/13 11:24 pm - Canada
VSG on 02/12/13

I am having the VSG because of medical reasons (crohns) but I would be just as happy with the RNY it was actually the doctor that advised me that it was the better surgery for me because of my medical history and because if there was any issue down the road with my crohns that required surgery on my intestines then they may have to reverse the RNY and then you are looking at a major operation. I also have had my gallbladder removed and tubes tied through laproscopic and he did not think it was an issue with scar tissue the issue was my crohns.

Here is a link that will tell you about the VSG.

http://www.ontariobariatricnetwork.ca/sleeve-gastrectomy.aspx

Referral- March 2012, Letter April 19, Orientation TWH- June 6, NP - July 3, Sleep Apena test July 16, Internist and SW  - July 17, Nutritional class - July 23, Dietician appt. July 30th, Psych-Social appt - Aug 20th. Follow up with doctor sleep apena Aug. 28th  Surgeons appt. - Dec. 14th Dr. Jackson. Surgery date - Feb 12 2013 - VSG   

BluIzGal
on 1/11/13 11:55 pm, edited 1/11/13 11:56 pm - Canada
RNY on 07/10/12

I had open gall bladder 20+ years ago and there was a lot of scar tissue but after 5.5 hrs in surgery I came out with RNY (I had hoped for VSG). 

Jenith
on 1/12/13 12:25 am - Canada

I'm hoping for VSG for a number of reasons, but most prominently because I take anti-inflammatories quite regularly and I don't think that my pain can be controlled with other types of medication. I also think that the VSG would be a better fit for my personality and weight loss efforts. But I have yet to complete a lot of my appointments so we'll see what the doctor thinks for me in the future!

Referral: Aug 20/12, Orientation: Dec 13/12, Nurse Consult: Mar 11/13, Social Worker: Mar 11/13, Nutrition Class: Mar 19/13, Dr Consult: Mar 20/13

~*~Jen~*~

sam1am
on 1/12/13 12:41 am

I able to qualify for a VSG with 2 c-sections, 1 Lap surgery for tubal ligation and an appendectomy.  I'm not really sure if the anatomical spots where my internal scars made a big difference as my surgeon knew that I would only do the VSG and just needed a viable reason to do it as I had had previous abdominal surgeries.

Sandy                                           

"The best way to cheer yourself up is to try to cheer somebody  else up"                     

Mark Twain                                                       LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCatAnimation One      

(deactivated member)
on 1/12/13 8:28 am

Good question.  Was wondering that too? I am hoping my past c-section rupture/hernia repair with mesh qualifies me for the VSG!  

Marina

Most Active
Recent Topics