Doing awesome

lisarah
on 1/27/13 3:19 am - Canada
RNY on 01/26/12
Hi everyone. Just a message for those who were thinking of me and wondering how I was doing. I had my surgery Jan 29, 2013. And went through some very serious complications. I don't want to scare anyone so I won't share all the details here. But I'm doing great now at one year I'm , down 93lbs, only 10-15lbs to go. Also I welcome anyone who has questions about my situation to send me a private message. The good news is I don't regret my decision, I still feel like I'm healthier now and have a greater sense of confidence, I even went down a toboggan hill with my kids the other day while my husband watched nervously.....lol. He's been through a lot too. He looked after out 2 kids 7 and 4 while I stayed in hospital! This week we are going to cuba for a week and i bought myself a size 10 bathing suit to go! ( i still dont believe it myself!)Thanks to everyone who was thinking of me while I was recovering!

Referral to Bariatric Registry March 2011 Orientation at TWH Aug, 2011
RNY scheduled for Jan 26, 2012 at Toronto Western

kristaeb
on 1/27/13 3:53 am

Hello, i am so glad you are doing well. I am just STARTING.LOL. I was ref last week by my doctor.. I was wondering about  your complications. I had a VBG done in 1999 that didnt work. I had a hernia repair with mesh in 2007 as well. So i will need revision surgery done too. Anyhow a am worried about complications so i want to educate myself  as much as possible so i can to be prepared , and what better way than to listen to people who may have the same problem as i might in the future . I know every surgery is a risk and complications arise . Thank-you Krista.

lisarah
on 1/27/13 4:17 am - Canada
RNY on 01/26/12
Hi Krista. I had a Leak which lead to several other complications. I was 270lbs to start. It about a 2% chance of this happening, so very small risk but its a very serious complication, try reading http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gastric_bypass_surgery. I checked this out and found it coveres the surgery and a lot of the complications very nicely. Yes it's very important to educate yourself about the surgery and the complications.

2by4
on 1/27/13 4:58 am

How do you know when you have a leak?  What happens?  What do they do for it?

So glad it's all behind you now (pun intended)!

lisarah
on 1/27/13 5:34 am - Canada
RNY on 01/26/12
If you send me a personal message I will tell you as much as I can.I don't want to scare people who are just about to have surgery. Because really it's such a rare complication. What happened to me only happen every 6 months out of all the Bariatric centres in ON. surgeons that it very seriously and discuss solutions as much as they can through teleconference to prevent these sometimes tragic events from happening.

kristaeb
on 1/27/13 10:21 am

Thank-you, i will check the site out for sure. I noticed your weight at the start. It is identical to mine. I will keep updating my progress as my journey is just starting.I love to hear how others are doing. Thanks again, All the best, Krista..

lisarah
on 1/27/13 11:58 am - Canada
RNY on 01/26/12

That's funny I just had a hernia repair with mesh in Sept this year. Good luck on your journey 

Nanato2
on 1/27/13 5:39 am, edited 1/27/13 5:41 am - Canada
VSG on 02/12/13

Oops I see Dr. Jackson he is my surgeon.

Referral- March 2012, Letter April 19, Orientation TWH- June 6, NP - July 3, Sleep Apena test July 16, Internist and SW  - July 17, Nutritional class - July 23, Dietician appt. July 30th, Psych-Social appt - Aug 20th. Follow up with doctor sleep apena Aug. 28th  Surgeons appt. - Dec. 14th Dr. Jackson. Surgery date - Feb 12 2013 - VSG   

lisarah
on 1/27/13 6:01 am - Canada
RNY on 01/26/12
Dr J is so amazing. I know 100% he saved my life. You in good hands don't worry!! At all. He's he was there for me every step of the way!! so professional, respectful and treats you like a person not just a patient.

pinkjellybean
on 1/27/13 5:39 am - Canada
VSG on 01/25/12

Oh thank the lord you are doing well Lisa!  I have thought about you so frequently since we were both in hospital together!  I am glad to hear you are well! 

SURGERY at Toronto Western Hospital - VSG JANUARY 25th, 2012!!

5'9 - HW - 390 SW - 368.8  GW - 150

Most Active
Recent Topics