ummmm..........HELP

MadMax1010
on 2/9/13 10:22 pm - Collingwood, Canada
RNY on 02/06/13

OK so yesterday was my first day home. I did not get anywhere near enough protein or fluids in me ( I think!). Do any of you newly post-op peeps have a schedule that you follow to eat and drink by?

I am going to make myself up a tracking sheet today and was just wonder how you all made out with getting everything in (am paranoid about getting dehydrated)

kim_emma02
on 2/9/13 10:28 pm - Ontario, Canada

I'm having the same problem!!!  I was told to do 2 protein shakes per day (60g of protein) and split them in to 1/3cup servings- 1 at breakfast, 1 at morning snack, 1 at lunch, 1 at afternoon snack, 1 at dinner and 1 at evening snack.  So in other words we need to make 2 cups of water/milk with 2 scoops of protein powder and drink it all day.  Not sure when we are supposed to ge****er or food in but hopefully it will get easier as we go.

RNY 02/04/2013 with Dr Starr

(deactivated member)
on 2/9/13 10:34 pm - Straford, Canada

As your food is liquid at this stage you don't have the waiting period before "eating".  I planned meal and snack times and stuck to them.  As soon as food was taken I would lay off liquids for about 20 minutes to let the body absorb nutrients without flushing them out.  Then I would begin the H20 quest again.  I had bought three 750ml refillable bottles and filled them every morning and they had to be gone by evening snack then would try to drink another one though sometimes i just couldn't get any more in.  Heal well!  

HopefulBee
on 2/9/13 10:36 pm, edited 2/10/13 6:35 am - Thunder Bay, Canada
RNY on 01/18/13
I had a protein source (drink - we were allowed boost diabetic or NSA carnation inst brkfst, or greek yogurt with vanilla protein powder mixed in) every 2-3 hours, & in between that I had a water bottle I sipped from all day. I wasn't getting in the required amount either at first, just took in as much as I could.

I found it easier once I started purées...not easy, but easier than liquids.

Referral from family doctor: April 2011

Surgery date: JAN 18, 2013 @ St Joe's Hamilton with Dr. Anvari

Onward and
Downward

on 2/9/13 10:46 pm - Canada
RNY on 11/07/12

Basically, drinking is a full time job at this stage. :)  At the full fluid stage, I think you can consider pretty much everything you ingest to be a "fluid".  As for protein, get as much in as you can and you'll be okay.  You'll get more in soon!  I found yogurt to be a really good way to get protein in - there's so much protein in it!

Also, unflavoured protein powder mixes really nicely with no-sugar-added, fat-free jello pudding.  A great way to boost your protein while still enjoying what you're eating, especially if you're finding the protein shakes gross (like I did).

Referral to registry: Oct 21, 2011    Orientation (TWH): Feb 22, 2012     Surgery: Nov 7, 2012

Come to Toronto East End Coffee Nights! Click here for details.

P_Floyd
on 2/9/13 11:17 pm - Canada

Don't fret, it's a learning curve from the start and as time passes and you heal, it will get easier as you develop good routines and methods to get your water and protein in. Sip sip sip tha****er. A tracking sheet is a great idea! There are also timers to remind you to eat and drink which may help too. You can do it, and we all struggle a little at the beginning. 

Long you live and high you fly 
And smiles you'll give and tears you'll cry 
And all you touch and all you see 
Is all your life will ever be.

DSOTM

Leslie W.
on 2/9/13 11:22 pm - Cobourg, Canada

You need to work up to getting your protein in. No one expect you tto get it all in at the beginning. I would have one premiere protein shake in the morning then put a scoop of protein in water and sip on it during the day. For food keep track follow the guidelines. It is going to take time. Keep water with you all times and sip sip sip

Referral: August 2010 Orientation TWH: May 25, 2011  NP: June 8/11, f/u sleep clinic June 7, abd u/s June 14, SW: June 28/11  Nutrition Class: July 5/11, Dietician Aug 09, Psychologist Aug 25 Surgeon Sept 16th Surgery Date: Oct 11/11 HW:287, Opti wt: 260 SW: 242
My Angel is Sheri TK   
Nevergiveup28
on 2/10/13 12:01 am
I'm with you Max.......I felt like I was taking vitamins and Prevacid for the majority of my a.m I typed out a vitamin schedule and put it on the fridge. I made a protein shake in the bullet and have the 1/3 cup when required according to the guidelines. I am sticking to food high in protein such as cottage cheese,Greek yogurt, and mixing the fruity protein powders along with milk with them to help increase the protein as much as I can. I felt so full after the Prevacid ,multi and b12 that I had to wait an hour before I tried anything else.
I also have a water bottle with measurements on it to help with plain water every 15 min in between everything else.
I have been setting the timer on my phone to go off every 15 minutes as well to keep me on track.
Don't forget any of the water,broth,milk,protein drinks helps get you to your 6-8 cups required.
You are doing great....we can do this!
Nevergiveup28
on 2/10/13 12:24 am
Also, I use fitness pal to help track everything I eat. This was easier to use preop as the amounts were more standard than now but I am till managing to get my tracking done this way.
Most Active
Recent Topics