Sorry but lots of questions

MadMax1010
on 2/13/13 10:08 pm - Collingwood, Canada
RNY on 02/06/13

OK I know I am only a week post-op but is it normal to be getting waves of feeling really down and wonder what the heck I have done to myself? This happened to me the day after my surgery last week and happened again to me last night. Am starting to freak a little, I was so excited to get this surgery and now I feel like, at times, I was crazy for doing this to myself.

I don't want to scare off the pre-oper's but am just wondering if these are normal feelings or I should be checking myself into the nut farm.

It's almost like I'm in mourning, could that  be it? I am mourning my old life and my food addiction?

Monica M.
on 2/13/13 10:20 pm - Penetanguishene, Canada

oh sweetie. there are so many things that are going on.

1. mourning, yes

2. hormones are askew. (fat loss releases estrogen into your bloodstream)

3. that "holy crap what did i do to myself" feeling, that's totally normal.

4. Huge change in your life! i bet you feel like you're a freaking alien right now.

Give yourself some time to wallow and cry, but get out of the house a bit and try to get your mind off of things. Make sure you're resting enough. Nap when you want to, go to bed at 8pm if you feel like it. Treat yourself to something nice (a pedicure always makes me feel good)

and reassure yourself that you're perfectly normal.

Carolyn43
on 2/14/13 1:06 pm - Canada

well said, i needed that reality  check!

(deactivated member)
on 2/13/13 10:29 pm - Canada

Monica hit the nail on the head! This is likely the biggest change you have ever worked so hard for and now that you are there it's kind of an anti-climax.....sort of 'what now'. You are on an amazing journey that you have worked so hard to take and you need to settle into your new normal.

Be kind to yourself....one day at a time.....rest....everything Monica said is so true.

Wishing you the best  and continued success.

Joy

Zmimshen
on 2/13/13 10:32 pm - Canada
RNY on 01/15/13
I felt exactly the same...
I noticed that these feelings went away as I started feeling physically better and was able to tolerate more liquids/food.
Stay strong!

Orientation: Apr. 3, 2012; SW&NP: May 29, 2012; Nutrition class: June 19, 2012; Nutritionist: Aug. 29, 2012; Surgeon: Nov. 9, 2012; Surgery date:January 15, 2013; Highest weight: 357     Start of Opti weight: 338.6     Surgery Weight: 322.4   

willowraine
on 2/13/13 10:45 pm - Guelph, Canada
RNY on 02/06/13
Thanks for posting Max. While I'm not feeling exactly what you are, I am feeling very frustrated because I can't drink as much water as I feel I need. That then makes me feel like I'm dragging and tired.

And thanks for the replies. It's good to be told again that it's normal and that we will all get through it.

Referral Aug/11, transferred to HRRH May/12, Orientation July 4/12, Surgeon July 17/12,     RD, SW  Aug 3/12, RN Aug 22/12, Dr. Glazer/Sleep Study Sept/12, Surgeon Nov 2/12, 1st surgery date (cancelled due to to sickness) Dec 13/12, Re-scheduled for Feb 6/13

MadMax1010
on 2/13/13 10:48 pm - Collingwood, Canada
RNY on 02/06/13

Thank you so much, at least I know I'm not going out of my mind, and oh yeah Monica, I have just booked myself a pedicure for 10:30 this morning at the nicest spa in town. Time to pamper me!

jellyfishattack
on 2/13/13 10:52 pm, edited 2/13/13 10:53 pm - Canada
RNY on 03/11/13

I haven't had my RNY yet, but it's almost time for the Opti.

You aren't scaring me off because luckily every book I've read about WLS says that afterwards almost everyone experiences a kind of "buyer's remourse" and regrets what they've done - at first.  So you seem to be completely normal.  The books also say that the feeling goes away, so not to worry, no nut farm for you yet, just a 1 month post-op visit with the NUT. 

I hope you're not in too much pain, and that every day you feel better!

Jenn. :)

1st appointment - Feb. 23rd, 2012. RNY Dr Cyriac Mar. 11th, 2013.

DeborahV54
on 2/13/13 11:13 pm - Mississauga, ON, Canada

Could you tell me the name of the book you are referring to.  I would like to pick one up.

jellyfishattack
on 2/13/13 11:47 pm, edited 2/13/13 11:47 pm - Canada
RNY on 03/11/13

Hi DeorahV54,

I've read all the books on WLS in the Toronto public library system - there aren't that many, but it might take me a day or two to find the books which mention 'buyer's remourse' specifically because I am unusually busy until Monday, but I should be able to find time here and there.  In other words, no problem, but it might take me a day or two.

Jenn. :)

1st appointment - Feb. 23rd, 2012. RNY Dr Cyriac Mar. 11th, 2013.

Most Active
Recent Topics