Hrrh one month class disappointment

Tania S.
on 2/14/13 4:11 am - Owen sound, Canada
RNY on 01/16/13

I just had my one month month class at hrrh yesterday.....I left there a little disappointed because we really didn't cover anything new....I wish we would have more on when we could introduce certain foods....like salads and etc.  did anybody else feel this way.

You maybe only one person in the world, but to one person you are the world.

Heathergetbetter
on 2/14/13 4:50 am - Trenton, ON, Canada
RNY on 05/02/12

I totally agree. The only reason I had to travel all the way to Toronto was to get the 1 month blood work. The class was a waste of time. Then getting stuck in traffic it took me 4 hours to get home. It was right after that that I began aggressively pursuing the file transfer to Kingston. It took 3 requests and 2 calls to the manager but now all my follow ups except for the surgeon 1 year are all in Kingston which is only a 1 hour drive tops.

Dr Ref: Sept 9th '10, Dr. Follow up (file lost in bulk transfer) Aug '11Pre-surg Asmt Ottawa: Dec 9th '11File Transf to HRH -another bulk transf Bypass class: Feb 2 '12 Surgeon Consult: Feb 8 '12    Dietician: Feb 8 '12   Soc Wrkr: Feb 8 '12 Nurse: Feb 8 '12 Internist: Mar 9 '12  Surgeon: Apr 4 '12 Opti:Apr 18 '12 SURGERY: May 2 '12    
NorthernStar
on 2/14/13 5:09 am - London, Canada
RNY on 06/25/12

I went through HRRH and I agree the one month class was a complete waste of time. I got much better nutrition information in the WSL Surgery Guide and Diet Program book. It has great info on when to introduce new foods and in what order. The HRRH class seemed to talk about soft foods, but the message seemed to be at the 4 week mark start incorporating whatever. I followed the diet plan in the book and never had any issues.

*Lindsey*

Keeping off 133 lbs since 2012!

Referral to Bariatric Registry: May 2011   /   Surgery (HRRH): June 25, 2012         

Kathleen101
on 2/14/13 5:50 am

I agree with all of you !!!!!!!

what a waste of time  

Surgery date Oct 2/12  by Dr D Lindsey SJHT

Laura H.
on 2/14/13 7:10 am - Canada

I agree.  It is a 3 1/2 hr drive for me and what a waste.  I was to see the nurse at that time too and that was a waste of time as well.  I had issues and she told me to talk to my family doctor.  I now do all of the appointments by OTN.  Even that was a mix up.  HRRH set it up and told me that I had a 3 month with the doctor and they forgot to let the doctor know.

Laura H.

Cuter_w_Curves
on 2/14/13 7:29 am - Oshawa, Ontario, Canada
VSG on 01/08/13

Oh I dunno... I was a bit of a **** in my 1 month post op class (ask those who were there) and pushed with some questions, etc. which didn't get answered to the end but it was fun flustering the Dietician, and acting like a 12 year old when she kept telling us we were all going to "Eat Out" sometime. Right as I took a bite of an egg bite.

Salad... Hmmm... Would you know what I mean if I said slice it up like Mr Sub does? So they are way small pieces of lettuce. That is what one of my RNYer friends does to this day. She says it is safer to know they all started smaller.

You are really not going to get a lot of lettuce in anyway though because it is still protein first.

Dr Sullivan VSG Jan. 8th, 2013!
  Lost 100 lbs in a year post op with a VSG. 

ANewMe975
on 2/14/13 7:53 am
RNY on 01/15/13
I agree. I expected more from the class yesterday as well.

Referral: June 19th, 2012
Orientation Session: August 27th, 2012
Appt w/ Surgeon: September 21st, 2012
Appts w/ Dietitian (RD), Social Worker (SW), Nurse Clinician(NP): October 24th, 2012
Surgery: January 15th, 2013 with Dr. Sullivan

gardeninggal
on 2/14/13 9:14 am - Midland, Canada

I struggle with the follow up appointment scenario too!  I am two hours (and on a good 400 hwy. drive maybe 1 1/2 hours) north of the HRRH.  I remember very well one of the points that the SW made during orientation was to make sure that you kept your follow up appointments after surgery to ensure that OHIP would continue the funding to future patients.  I was quite disappointed too about the lack of info at my one month appointment at HRRH but my overall  thought was that they are so overworked and under staffed that how can they do a great job.  The office itself does not do justice to the traffic and humanity that travels through.  The weigh scale is intimidating and really veterinarians have a better set up for their patients.  The very fact that this is life saving surgery does not do the process justice and knowing that HRRH is an award winning Bariatric Center of Excellence gives me a feeling that they have not been given the funding to do a better job.  

Most Active
Recent Topics