surgery on March 6 and starting to get nervous and some gratitude

everlovingbobo
on 2/28/13 2:32 am - Canada

Hi everyone

First of all, I can't even begin to tell you all how much hanging out on OH has helped me get through this period.  I am on day 16/21 of optifast and have lost 17 pounds.  My surgery is in less than a week at TWH and I am starting to get scared.  I think what is bothering me is that how things will go remains uncertain and I am a bit of a control freak.

Sometimes this all feels surreal.  I know I am doing the right thing, but it still feels kind of like jumping off a cliff.  And I am not a fan of heights--LOL.

So I just wanted to put my anxiety out there.  There is no way I'm not doing this.  If there is anything these last two weeks of Optifast have taught me is that I can make a positive impact on my life--even though, with respect to my weight problem, I have never been able to do anything before.

And a special thanks to Amanda F who is my angel and Jenn/jellyfishattack for talking me down a few times.  I can't wait to join the loser's bench.  And hopefully the weather will improve so I can get myself off the bench and go for a walk without being afraid of landing on the concrete.

Thanks everyone!

orientation: Oct 3/12  social worker: Nov 6/12  internist: Nov 13/12 nutrition class: Nov 19/12  dietician: Nov 23/12  psychologist: Dec 11/12  sleep study: Dec 17/12  surgeon: Jan 18/13  pre-op: Jan 28/13   optifast: Feb 13/13  surgery:  March 6/13

Amanda F.
on 2/28/13 2:56 am - Toronto, Canada
VSG on 01/10/13

I am getting so excited for you! Your head is in the right place and you are more than prepared for this surgery. You are going to rock this! Btw, the Beltline is dirt, not concrete, but better wear something that can get dirty just in case!

Referral to Bariatric Program at TWH: 08/09/11     Orientation at TWH: 08/17/11                 Nurse Practitioner: 10/12/11
Social Worker: 12/02/11                                         Nutrition Class: 12/21/11                         Nutrition Assessment: 01/26/12
Psycho-Social Assessment: 05/31/12                      Meet Dr. Penner (TWH) 11/30/12            Pre-Admission: 12/10/12

Surgery Date: January 10, 2013
LilySlim Weight loss tickers

For more information on the Midtown Toronto Walking Club, please click here.

Patm
on 2/28/13 3:18 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

It is normal to get the jitters. Good luck next week.

jay_dee_767
on 2/28/13 3:32 am - Canada

OMG where you reading my mind or something.... freaky :) LOL.  I am also feeling all those emotions , I'm on day 17/21 of optifast. Surgery on March.5th, I believe this forum has help me more than anything else.

Just wanted to say thank you and we will be great,

Jason

Referral Recieved November 13/12  Orientation Nov.19/12 meet Dr.Klein and NUT Nov .26/12  , Meet the social worker and RN on Dec. 6/12 ,DR.Glazer Dec.13/12 Meet Dr.Klein and pick up optifast Jan.16th 2013 Patts Feb.19th,2013, Surgery March 5th,2013

jellyfishattack
on 2/28/13 6:09 am - Canada
RNY on 03/11/13

Good luck with your surgery Jason, and I wish you a speedy, uneventful recovery!

Jenn.  :)

1st appointment - Feb. 23rd, 2012. RNY Dr Cyriac Mar. 11th, 2013.

jellyfishattack
on 2/28/13 6:07 am - Canada
RNY on 03/11/13

I'm happy I was able to help you a little.  Thank you for mentioning me, that was very kind.

I am having waves of anxiety now with my surgery coming up 6 days after yours, but I imagine the anxiety is worse when you're closer to the actual date.  I feel the same way you do, that this surgery is the right thing to do, but it's still like a giant leap into the unknown.  Other people's before and after posts have been so encouraging to me.  Everyone who has posted those photos has such a happy look and a twinkle in their eyes in the after photos.

You can do this and you will do great!  I'm sure we both will, but saying that doesn't take away the anxiety.  It's normal before a major, life-changing operation.  Try and distract yourself somehow.  Watch your favourite comedy on DVD.  Go for a walk (if the sidewalk isn't 100%  slush or ice).  PM me whenever you want, if you feel you need someone to listen to you.  OH has been a Godsend to me too.

I know this post is a bit rambling and isn't very articulate, but I just want to send some encouragement and hugs ((( ))) your way!

Jenn.  :)

1st appointment - Feb. 23rd, 2012. RNY Dr Cyriac Mar. 11th, 2013.

Most Active
Recent Topics