Who provides or "opens up" surgery dates ??

Arlio1207
on 3/3/13 8:01 pm - Belleville , Canada
RNY on 04/04/13

Hi, Just wondering, when they say "once they open up new dates, we can bump your surgery date".......who is they, the hospital? Just wondering as my surgeons first surgery date was May 14th. However I saw someone recently on here get a date for the beginning of April. Does it depend on the surgeon as well? I would suppose it would have to match his schedule or when he does surgery during the week. I just wondered how mine could be so far off, and someone else get a date so close? Different surgeon of course. 

Arlene enlightened

Referred June 26, 2012, Orientation Nov 7, Nurse Nov 19. Dietician and Psychologist Nov 21, Dietician #2 Jan 4, 2013, Final Nurse Jan 24, Meet surgeon Feb 20th, Pre Surgical class Mar 6th, Dr Glazier March 7, PATTS March 7, Surgery April 4th !!!!!

JJ_
on 3/3/13 8:11 pm

Each surgeon has operating room time at a particular hospital.  Some hospitals seem to have schedules for up to 3 months or more, and in Ottawa, they seem to have dates up to a month in advance.    If someone cancels (i.e. chickens out or are sick), then they try to move someone into the newly opened spot.

Arlio1207
on 3/4/13 7:02 am - Belleville , Canada
RNY on 04/04/13

Thanks JJ. I actually called today and they moved up my date to April 4th. From May 14th to April 4th. wow a little stunned but happy its going to be over with. 

Arlene enlightened

Referred June 26, 2012, Orientation Nov 7, Nurse Nov 19. Dietician and Psychologist Nov 21, Dietician #2 Jan 4, 2013, Final Nurse Jan 24, Meet surgeon Feb 20th, Pre Surgical class Mar 6th, Dr Glazier March 7, PATTS March 7, Surgery April 4th !!!!!

JJ_
on 3/4/13 7:05 am

Way to go!  The stunned part is normal.  I found that it took me about a day to process the date.  Then I was able to focus and talk about having a date, and start to prepare.  After waiting so long to have surgery, the stunned part is that you can`t believe you are almost there.  LOL

Judy

Arlio1207
on 3/4/13 7:10 am - Belleville , Canada
RNY on 04/04/13

Very true. LOL I am sure I will need the list of what to pack soon. LOL and do I take my meds with me or not? 

Arlene enlightened

JJ_
on 3/4/13 11:39 am

The hospital will provide any meds that you need.  They take the list of them at PATTS.

I was told that I should bring my vitamins because the Nutritionist comes to meet with you before discharge.  The alternative was to make a listing of the vitamins you have for post-op.

Good luck!

Judy

Cuter_w_Curves
on 3/4/13 12:55 pm - Oshawa, Ontario, Canada
VSG on 01/08/13

Meds... An addendum to "providing any medications":

Always pack inhalers, and any other medications they tell you to bring when you are at your PATT's. They always make me bring those and the nurse stands there hands on hips while I take them morning and night. *snicker*

Dr Sullivan VSG Jan. 8th, 2013!
  Lost 100 lbs in a year post op with a VSG. 

Most Active
Recent Topics