Noob at TWH - Just got my Orientaion appointment!

Darksyde
on 3/4/13 1:25 am

So it begins!  I have a date for my Orientation at Toronto Western Hospital!  I'm cautiously looking forward to my eventual surgery date.  I have 4 kids, 3 boys and 1 girl, and a lovely wife. 

I've always been a big person, but the past 2 years have not been good to me or my body.  I've always been able to maintain a weight between 250-300 lbs, but recently, I've balooned up to the point where I don't even know how much I weigh anymore.  At my last physical with my doctor, the scale at the doctors office wasn't able to tell us anything, as it only went up to 350 lbs.  Either way, not good! 

Let's see...health issues?  I got em!  Asthma to start...I can hardly make it up a small flight of stairs without huffing and puffing and wheezing. My body produces too much histamine, so I'm on prescription strength Reactine, and my spleen is enlarged...I need to go for a follow up ultrasound on that one.

The funny thing is, I've seen the dieticians, done the Weigh****chers...I know what needs to happen   You know?  I know how to cook and eat healthy.  I *know* I need to exercise more, but it's hard to get your heart rate up when you can't breathe.  I'm frustrated beyond belief, and now that this process has begun, I can see the light at the end of the tunnel.

I look forward to being here regularly, and getting help and support from you fine people.

I do have a question though, for anyone who has been to TWH for the whole process:  I have my first orientation appointment...any idea what the timeline is after that?

Thanks, and be seeing you all soon...and often!

Patm
on 3/4/13 1:41 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

Welcome to the board. Most of us recognise your journey of diets and exercise.

When you go to the orientation they will give you your next set of appointments for the Psych/social worker, nutritionist, nurse practitioner. This is not a fast process. Although some people have had success calling after you get your appointments to ask for cancelations.

Good luck

4-Jane
on 3/4/13 1:46 am - Canada

I know little about time lines as I am from north western Ontario but wanted to welcome you

Respectfully Jane
Nanato2
on 3/4/13 1:46 am - Canada
VSG on 02/12/13

Welcome to OH and the journey to a new you if you look at my post on the bottom you will see my timeline at TWH from orientation to surgery. I called in after I got my appointments all the time and asked for cancelations to speed up the process. 

However there are things that could slow it down other tests that may be required.

Referral- March 2012, Letter April 19, Orientation TWH- June 6, NP - July 3, Sleep Apena test July 16, Internist and SW  - July 17, Nutritional class - July 23, Dietician appt. July 30th, Psych-Social appt - Aug 20th. Follow up with doctor sleep apena Aug. 28th  Surgeons appt. - Dec. 14th Dr. Jackson. Surgery date - Feb 12 2013 - VSG   

Amanda F.
on 3/4/13 2:02 am - Toronto, Canada
VSG on 01/10/13

Hi and welcome to OH! The timelines for TWH are different for everyone. There is no standard. It really just depends on how many tests you will need (some need more because of existing medical conditions) and your own effort and ability to self-advocate. After you are given your first three appointments (the night of orientation), call regularly for cancelations and you may get bumped up faster. Just remember to be patient and prepared for it to take up to 18 months +. At least you have got the wheels rolling... congratulations!

Referral to Bariatric Program at TWH: 08/09/11     Orientation at TWH: 08/17/11                 Nurse Practitioner: 10/12/11
Social Worker: 12/02/11                                         Nutrition Class: 12/21/11                         Nutrition Assessment: 01/26/12
Psycho-Social Assessment: 05/31/12                      Meet Dr. Penner (TWH) 11/30/12            Pre-Admission: 12/10/12

Surgery Date: January 10, 2013
LilySlim Weight loss tickers

For more information on the Midtown Toronto Walking Club, please click here.

jellyfishattack
on 3/4/13 2:26 am, edited 3/4/13 2:26 am - Canada
RNY on 03/11/13

Hi and welcome to the forum!

I think everyone here can sympathize with your struggles and problems because we've all had our own struggles and problems in varying degrees.  I have a knee that can hurt so much after a long walk that I don't even want to walk around home the next day - it is extremely frustrating when you're eager to exercise, but your body lets you down.  Take heart though, you will eventually feel better, whether or not you can lose some weight before surgery.  You're already part way through the process already!

As far as timelines go, I started with seeing Dr. Glazer at HRRH in late February, 2012, then, I had all my appointments and seminars at TWH, and my surgery will hopefully be on Monday, the 11th, at TEGH.  I've heard that usually, the fastest timeline is about a year, but the number of tests you might need can lengthen that (and who knows what other factors affect things) too.

Jenn.  :)

1st appointment - Feb. 23rd, 2012. RNY Dr Cyriac Mar. 11th, 2013.

jewel-twin
on 3/4/13 11:04 am - Canada
Welcome. I love to see the guys join in.

I just went through twh. Post op by two weeks now... My timeline is in my signature at the bottom.

You are making the right decision. I wouldnt change a thing.

Juls

Family Dr. 06/05/2012    Referral Received 06/28/2012 Orientation 08/01/2012   NP 08/27/2012
SW 08/28/2012              Nut Class 08/27/2012
NUT 10/01/2012              PS 10/01/2012
Surgeon Dr. Cyriac 12/07/2012  **SURGERY  JAN 30, 2013**

fooh.png

(deactivated member)
on 3/4/13 12:28 pm - Toronto, Canada
RNY on 04/04/13

Hello!

Good to see another new guy on the boards...WELCOME!

we are a great group of guys and gals, who will be here everystep of the way!

like a few before have stated, each persons journey is very different, may it be by luck, co-morbities, location, its hard to calculate but expect a year for the process, if less then awesome....I too am at TWH and my timeline is below...i have been lucky at a fast paced journey....I just had my surgeon appointment on Friday and my surgery date is April 4th.  I start Opti on Thursday for 4 weeks.

I like many can relate to the tried and failed weight-loss attempts...the one thing you will learn in orientation and one thing to remember is that this surgery is by no means a "miracle cure" or "easy way out"  in some ways its much harder then any "diet" but as long as your committed to this life long change...you will do amazing.  Plus with the support here it makes it much easier.

I very much related to your weight ballooning, i too have maintained for years a set weight (not that that weight was good) but i ballooned up, and on friday i was the heaviest known weight i have ever been...its scary but i know there are so many good things to come!

Good luck on your journey....and know that if you ever need anything we are all here and I am here as another guy!  theres a few of us here :)

Darksyde
on 3/4/13 9:51 pm

Thanks to everyone, for your kind words and advice!  :)

Most Active
Recent Topics