OT kind of but need to vent

MellissaAnn
on 3/5/13 12:37 pm - barrie, Canada

I have an 8 year old son who has type 1 diabetes and has had it for 5 years, I am very strict with what I send in his school lunches because I am so focused on keeping his sugar levels as regulated as possible but I got a note yesterday in Dylan's food journal (I send a food journal with the items in lunch one and there carb counts as well as lunch two) that we need to send him more carb free foods in his lunches, he gets two healthy carb items crackers and fruit and two carb free items in each lunch protein and veggies, so I am not sure what more they want but what ****** me off is they have the nerve to write me yesterday and complain about what I send him for lunches yet today they let my type 1 diabetic son skip his second lunch so they could feed him an ice cream sundae. I am so beyond mad I could scream and I am not sure how to handle this situation, I am not mad he got ice cream but I am mad I was not notify before hand so I could include that into his carb count and I am livid that they let him skip his entire second lunch to just eat ice cream and after writing me to tell me what I am sending him in his lunch is not healthy enough.

patience let's be realistic here, you won't drop two jean sizes in one day, you won't lose fifty pounds in one month, you're going to binge every now and then, you will go a day or two without working out, your weight is going to fluctuate here and there, you're going to try new techniques and they're not always going to work, you're a human being, you're going to fail from time to time but nothing great is ever accomplished without a few obstacles, JUST KEEP GOING.   

Onward and
Downward

on 3/5/13 3:19 pm - Canada
RNY on 11/07/12

That is infuriating!  How dare they complain about a healthy lunch that they let him skip in favour of an ice cream sundae!

I don't know if you follow Yoni Freedhoff's blog, but he has this amazing running feature called "Parental No" - it's all about the crap food that is pushed on kids during all their waking hours and how it's just about impossible for parents to "just say no" (as the junk food industry claims we can).  He documents how all sorts of places - schools, recreation centres, sports leagues, etc. - push tons of crap on our kids.

Here are all his posts with the "Parental No" tag - I'm thinking you'll find it equally interesting AND infuriating!

http://www.weightymatters.ca/search/label/Parental%20No

Referral to registry: Oct 21, 2011    Orientation (TWH): Feb 22, 2012     Surgery: Nov 7, 2012

Come to Toronto East End Coffee Nights! Click here for details.

2mar
on 3/5/13 7:43 pm
RNY on 09/20/12

Just awful - I would go and talk with the teacher and then the principal and ask for a meeting. This is totally unacceptable!

Is there a school nurse that is overseeing this? on top of it?

I assume the school knows this little man has diabetes?

oh..... I would be SOOOOOOOO furious.

Was it the school nurse or a dietician who wrote that note?  Probably not.

This makes me angry just "reading it"...

Hope you can get it resolved.

MellissaAnn
on 3/5/13 8:30 pm - barrie, Canada
The note was not signed, so I don't know who it was from.

The school knows he is a child with diabetes and he has been attending this school for two years. His diabetic team (a nurse and dietitian have both been in to see and speak with the school staff about my son, how he is to be cared for and what his needs as a child with diabetes are, I have also told them if they ever have doubt on something or concern to just call me or my sons father we would be glad to help them if they aren't sure how to handle a situation.

He has a nurse come into the school at both lunches to give him his insulin shots as he is just learning to do so him self, so for now there is a nurse over seeing some part of his care for now.

And the EA that works with his teacher and his classroom is also a diabetic, so how didn't she see something wrong with letting him skip his lunch or not to think maybe we should call his parents before giving him ice cream.

It is just so frustrating.
2mar
on 3/5/13 9:53 pm
RNY on 09/20/12

I really would start with talking to the teacher and ask her/him "who" the person was that signed that note. See if you can go to the bottom of this (in a diplomatic way first - lol)

I am really sorry you have to go through this - hang in and stay strongs

Hugs

Judge your success by what you had to give up in order to get it.

SusieGilbreath
on 3/5/13 8:16 pm - Barrie, Ontario, Canada

Melissa !! Im so sorry u are going through this! I swear this is a barrie issue these teachers need to pay more attention to their job! Not being a doctor\nurse to kids! U are the parent ! What ever happened to im the parent, its my rules!! Dont let them how to raise ur child! Get on them for this one ! Dont back down!!

Susie

Nanato2
on 3/5/13 8:25 pm - Canada
VSG on 02/12/13

I would be calling the principal and teacher to set up a meeting. Does the teacher know anything about diabetes. Would she give kids with nut allergy nuts. 

Referral- March 2012, Letter April 19, Orientation TWH- June 6, NP - July 3, Sleep Apena test July 16, Internist and SW  - July 17, Nutritional class - July 23, Dietician appt. July 30th, Psych-Social appt - Aug 20th. Follow up with doctor sleep apena Aug. 28th  Surgeons appt. - Dec. 14th Dr. Jackson. Surgery date - Feb 12 2013 - VSG   

ToNewBeginnings
on 3/5/13 8:33 pm

I don't have children so I don't know how things work in schools.

Reading your post really made me upset.

It's like your children were put in a special school because the authorities deemed you were not taking care of them properly and they needed to be regulated. Like it's your duty to provide documentation of what they eat?

Why the food journal? "I am not sure what more they want....?" Are you required to provide a journal?

George Orwell or what!

MellissaAnn
on 3/5/13 8:46 pm - barrie, Canada
I send it because the amount of insulin he gets with each meal is based on his sugar level and the amount of carbs at each meal, so I write out what foods I have sent in each lunch and carb counts next to each item that has carbs in them and I total the amount of carbs in each lunch to make things simple and easy for them when figuring out how much insulin he needs with each lunch, they also record his daily sugar levels in this book as well that way I can keep track of them.
ToNewBeginnings
on 3/5/13 8:57 pm

Well that makes sense.  Sounds like a necessity. Don't they have monitors that can figure out his sugar levels and how much insulin he would need?

Most Active
Recent Topics