Panicking just a little..........

MadMax1010
on 3/10/13 11:10 pm - Collingwood, Canada
RNY on 02/06/13

So I am almost 5 weeks out, managing to get my protein from food rather than shakes BUT in doing that it drives up the amount of calories I am ingesting. I really am starting to panic thinking that maybe the RNY isn't working for me. So far not had any dumping, even ate salad last night. I really am starting to wonder if I am the exception to the rule and this will have all been in vain, and it's making very very sad and scared. I am taking in anywhere between 600 and 800 calories a day, I know it doesn't sound like much but is it?  I weigh and measure everything  I eat and am manic about tracking what I am putting in my mouth but can't find anywhere how many calories a day is ok. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

kellybelly333
on 3/10/13 11:20 pm - Toronto, Canada

Just looked at MFP from about two years ago. And my calories ranged from 500-700. So I think you're doing fine. I used it to see how much protein I was getting, not worried about calories.

Deep breath, you're doing great!

Surgery March 23/2011. Completed three full marathons and two half marathons, two half Ironman distances. Completed my first Full Ironman distance (4 km swim, 180 km bike, 42.2 km (full marathon) run) in Muskoka August 30/2015. Next Ironman Lake Placid July 23/2017!

DebsDream
on 3/10/13 11:28 pm

Hiya, you're doing just fine. I'm just over 3 months out and average between 60-800 cals a day too. I use MFP to log daily and look at my protein intake carefully. I love the little pie chart there and try to maintain 40% protein, 30% carbohydrates, 30% fat. I stalled once for about 2 weeks and noticed my carbs had creeped up to the 40%-45% range....so I corrected and started losing again right away.

Honestly, once you're weighing and measuring and tracking you should be just fine.

Also, I see from some of the vets a couple of years out, they're up to about 1200 cals per day which I think is where we should end up eventually but not just yet :)

Orientation GGH: Mar '11 --- Surgeon: Oct 23, '12 --- Pre-Op: Nov 13, '12 --- SURGERY GGH,Dr. Reed:Nov 22, '12                 

Nanato2
on 3/10/13 11:30 pm - Canada
VSG on 02/12/13

You are doing just fine not everyone dumps and the calorie range you are doing is what you should be eating at this stage.

Last week at the support group people were saying the same thing about RNY not working for them you have to remember it is a tool and you have to work your RNY counsellours stated as long as you following plan and doing what you suppose to it is working but you have to remember we are all individuals and what works for one may not work for others just as one may dump and one may not maybe you just haven't eaten that food that will make you dump.

So relax and keep up the good work.

Referral- March 2012, Letter April 19, Orientation TWH- June 6, NP - July 3, Sleep Apena test July 16, Internist and SW  - July 17, Nutritional class - July 23, Dietician appt. July 30th, Psych-Social appt - Aug 20th. Follow up with doctor sleep apena Aug. 28th  Surgeons appt. - Dec. 14th Dr. Jackson. Surgery date - Feb 12 2013 - VSG   

Julia P.
on 3/10/13 11:59 pm - Canada
RNY on 10/16/12

I just checked  my tracker, and at 5 weeks out I was between 800-900 calories per day.  That is on the high side - most are right where you are (600-800 calories), so I was worried initially, too.  The good news is,  I'm down over 100 pounds now, so it's working for me! 

I also haven't dumped on anything yet (have had some foamies when I eat too fast, though).  Just focus on getting your protein first, trying to be active each day (I was walking for 30-40 minutes each day at 5 weeks), and the weight loss will happen! 

You're doing just fine!  

Referral - December 2011 * Orientation TWH - March 13th, 2012 * Nurse Practitioner - April 17th, 2012 * Nutrition Class - April 17th, 2012 * Social Worker - April 24th, 2012 * Dietician - May 1st, 2012 * Psych - May 1st, 2012 * Surgeon - August 17th, 2012 * PATTS - Sept. 12th, 2012 * SURGERY TEGH, Dr. Cyriac - October 16th, 2012

Starting Weight - 320 lbs   *   Current Weight - 178 lbs  *  Goal Weight - 165 lbs 

gimpymom
on 3/11/13 11:47 pm

at 5 weeks out you should be focusing on the protein not the calories- remember to get btwn 20-25 gms of fiber to help keep you regular and for bowel health...you are doing great- just stick with the program and it will work for you!!!

I am just about 7 mths out and am down 73 pounds- I am a slow loser - but by sticking to the program it is coming off-- just keep measuring your intake and all will be well

Keep up the good work!!

Johanna

referral  Nov 23, 2011 orientation Dec 16   PATT Aug 9 OR DATE Aug. 20, 2012 ACHIEVED CLINIC GOAL Feb. 2013

Most Active
Recent Topics