How much protein?

Silverlake1975
on 3/12/13 1:27 am - Ottawa, Canada
RNY on 06/19/12

Hi there,

I have a question about the daily recommendations of protein etc...I'm almost 9 months out and realized I'm not getting enough protein in my day.  What is the recommended amount again?  I can't find my book that I got with the surgery and don't have an appointment with the dietician for another month or so.  I know I've read it on here many times.  Also, what is that ratio that people talk about...the protein/carb/fat amounts per day...

Also, is it acceptable to get additional protein from a protein shake if I need to boost it?  I'm not getting enough just from food...I've been having the Premier protein shake from Costco to help boost my protein amounts up to a better level. 

Also is there such a thing as too much protein?

Thanks for any help and suggestions!

Staci 

ToNewBeginnings
on 3/12/13 1:42 am

How do you know your not getting enough protein if you don't know the recommended amount?

It's kinda important. I don't know your centre or the amount you are supposed to have. For me it was a minimum of 60 g.

Silverlake1975
on 3/12/13 1:49 am - Ottawa, Canada
RNY on 06/19/12

I remember reading that it was around 60, but wanted to make sure...I know I'm not getting nearly that.

ToNewBeginnings
on 3/12/13 2:33 am

Why not?

2mar
on 3/12/13 1:56 am
RNY on 09/20/12

it also depends on your BMI and weight. My NUT did calculate my protein that I did need.

Give you nut a quick call and make sure you take enough - but also not too much ( kidneys will not be trilled if you take way too much) heart

Judge your success by what you had to give up in order to get it.

MellissaAnn
on 3/12/13 1:59 am, edited 3/12/13 9:33 am - barrie, Canada
Michelle at HRRH said it is based on your weight and there is a way to calculate it but I can't seem to find it. I my self am almost 11 months post op and I still try to get in anywhere from 80-100 grams of protein a day but that's because I work out at the gym 6 days a week and drink a pre and post workout protein shake. I would try to get in as much protein as possible but when in doubt call your clinic and speak to a dietitian.
Silverlake1975
on 3/12/13 3:13 am - Ottawa, Canada
RNY on 06/19/12

Great suggestions about checking with the clinic/NUT...I honestly didn't realize the amount is based on weight...so thank you both for that!

kellybelly333
on 3/12/13 2:58 am - Toronto, Canada

I try to get over 100 grams a day. And I usually succeed with that. I do start my day with protein coffee, which i'm kind of addicted to, I don't mind saying. To keep losing, up your protein. To stay in maintenance, keep up with the protein. That's what i've learned. I could do without the protein coffee, but I like it, so I don't. The other day, I did overkill 154 grams of protein. But it was with food I liked, so i'm not sure what to do about that.

Surgery March 23/2011. Completed three full marathons and two half marathons, two half Ironman distances. Completed my first Full Ironman distance (4 km swim, 180 km bike, 42.2 km (full marathon) run) in Muskoka August 30/2015. Next Ironman Lake Placid July 23/2017!

Silverlake1975
on 3/12/13 3:12 am - Ottawa, Canada
RNY on 06/19/12

I love mixing the Premiere Protein shake with coffee too...it's really good!  And provides a really nice 30gr in one shot!  

Nathalie_Can
on 3/12/13 3:47 am

There are several ways to count but if we do it on a weight scale...then take your weight in kg and multiply it by 0.8

So for example, if you weigh 200lbs divided by 2.2 = 90.91kg X 0.8 = 72.73g of protein per day....however, like everything, this is a basic calculation, if you are sedentary it will be 0.8 but if you are extremely active, then you should multiply by 1.8 so try to calculate with your fitness level, I'm more in the middle so I multiply by 1.2...lol

Hope it helps!

Nathalie :)

~Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you really wanted!~    

Most Active
Recent Topics