Optifast- Constipation

Jessica S.
on 3/14/13 10:21 pm - Ottawa, Canada

Well I am pretty sure this subject is some where but I am on day 15 now and let me tell you the constipation has kicked in full force for the last week, are we allowed to take anything for that, like a laxative? I know Metamucil capsule but those generally don't work well for me. Thank you

Monica M.
on 3/14/13 10:23 pm - Penetanguishene, Canada

yes, you can take something for constipation. Try milk of magnesia, the maximum dose. To keep things 'moving', going forward, try to get in way more water than you think you can, and add some kind of stool softener to your daily regimen.

Jessica S.
on 3/14/13 10:32 pm - Ottawa, Canada

Hi, I will try that, I drink so much water and sugar free koolaid that I get up like every hour to pee, I have always had issues with my intestines, doc thinks I have a lazy intestine, lol good thing surgery will bypass all that lazy stuff, lol.

Sylvie G.
on 3/14/13 10:35 pm - Monroeville, IN
RNY on 04/16/13

I read somewhere else on here to try senakot s. the person took it and it worked. It was posted within the last week or so. 

2mar
on 3/14/13 11:04 pm
RNY on 09/20/12

the nurse told me at HRRH before I started with opti to start with benefiber or metamucil at the same time. And yes senekot is also allowed. get on top of it girl! 

It does often cause constipation. 

Judge your success by what you had to give up in order to get it.

Monica9811
on 3/14/13 11:05 pm - Peterborough, Canada

Yes Senokot S does work- I have used it twice with success!  Don't let it get out of hand.  Also if you are buying that crap MOM buy flavoured stuff because the white stuff tastes like ass!

Mom_of_Mack
on 3/15/13 4:53 am - Arnprior, Canada

I will never buy white MOM.  Thanks for the advice

Monica9811
on 3/18/13 2:49 am - Peterborough, Canada

Seriously it is the grossest stuff I have ever tasted.  First teaspoon goes down because you have no clue-after that there is no way you can get it down without gagging!  Like I said in another post-my husband only buys the big bottles -never thinks to start out small in case it isn't what you like.  Oh well another bottle down the drain!  I also have an unopened bottle of liquid tylenol that I am going to see if they will take back at HRRH -it was also gross-just too sweet for me.  I rather suck on a tylenol then drink that crap.

KarenHope
on 3/15/13 12:07 pm
RNY on 04/15/13

Monica. I kill myself laughing every time you post this response. I am a mother of 2 boys and bum humour was just the norm in my house.

Referral Oct '11 Orientation Ottawa Dec 9 '11 NP June 25 '12 Sleep Clinic July 27 '12 

Tr to Kingston Aug '12  NP/SW/Nut Oct 1 '12 Pre-Op class - Dec 12 '12 Surgeon  Mar 4 '13    Surgery Apr 15 '13     

HW 304 CW 175 GOAL 150  

Monica9811
on 3/18/13 2:47 am - Peterborough, Canada

LOL.  I would normally say the S word but i thought my post might get taken off haha.  Glad you like that!!  I can't even put on here what I told my husband it tasted like-i would definitely get banned lol.

Most Active
Recent Topics