Pre-Surgery Questions and Support

time_for_me_2_be_m
e

on 3/16/13 7:46 am - Oshawa, Canada

Can anyone help me.  I do not frequent the boards because my time is very limited.  I haven't found a support group that I can attend in my area either.  I need help.  I need some people to talk to.

As my date draws closer and closer, I am getting more and more stressed.  And stress makes me eat.  Has anyone else had this issue; gaining weight prior to surgery?  I am eating things, thinking that I won't be able to have them afterwards so I should have them now.  Stupid Stupid Stupid.  I've probably gained about 15 pounds since my last weigh in.  I'm afraid that something is wrong with me.  Has anyone else gone through this?

I am also feeling scared that I won't have the willpower.  The Optifast is scaring me.  How is a person supposed to go from eating solids one day and not for the next number of weeks? 

If anyone can help explain, listen, talk I'd appreciate it.

Thanks

Referral: December '11 / Orientation:February 29,'12 / RN & Social Work Assessments: April 10,'12  / Nutrition Class: May 16, '12 / Sleep Clinic Results: May 29,'12 / Psycho-Social & Nutritional Assessments: June 19,'12 / 
Surgeon Appointment: December 7, '12 / Optifast Start Date: Apr 17,'13/ Surgery Date: May 8th, 2013

JJ_
on 3/16/13 7:54 am

Perfectly normal :)  I ate chips and dip because I knew I would not be eating it post-op (still have not and am not planning to).

Optifast is a period of time that allows you to start thinking about your relation to food.  It also prepares you to be eating or drinking something that others are not.  You will also be more aware of the advertisements in our environment and on tv.  Remember though that Optifast only last for a certain number of weeks pre-surgery.  It is not forever.  After surgery, your insides are swollen from the surgery itself.  You cannot drink quickly and take everything slow.  The swelling eventually goes down and you will be on the diet for life eventually eating dense protein, veggies and fruit majorly.  So Optifast sets you up for surgery and then you are retraining yourself for the rest of your life.  This will not be an eating plan for just the 6 months post-op....yes, for every day post-op until you leave this world. 

Good luck.

Judy

time_for_me_2_be_m
e

on 3/16/13 7:57 am - Oshawa, Canada

Thanks Judy.  I appreciate the info.  I actually am looking forward to the post op diet FOR LIFE!

finaly4me79
on 3/16/13 8:22 am

I start my optifast in 3 days. I feel how you feel and it is stressful you are not alone I think all of us have had this moment. What area are you in. I will be happy to become your friend. I find this web site to be very helpful with everything.

IM NOT LOSING WEIGHT.IM GETTING RID OF IT. AND I HAVE NO INTENTION OF FINDING IT AGAIN.

time_for_me_2_be_m
e

on 3/16/13 12:23 pm - Oshawa, Canada

I'm in Oshawa.  Thanks for confirming that I'm not alone.

theadmin1
on 3/16/13 10:56 am - Belleville , Canada

Where are you located? There might be some support in your area that you don't even know about. I posted that I was from Belleville and have since met a few people in my area, and 2 support group.... Good luck...

Cuter_w_Curves
on 3/16/13 11:24 am - Oshawa, Ontario, Canada
VSG on 01/08/13

Normal... Normal, normal, NORMAL reactions and experiences.

You will be able to eat things post op. You will just either eat way less of them, or make them WLS friendly.

Check your PM's. My numbers are in the PM. Added you as a friend on FB. CALL any time. Just use the Cell # if after 11 pm.

We have 3 support groups in our area and I partake heavily in 2 out of the 3, as well as have the info for the 3rd. Come with me to some. It helps.

*big hugs*

Shell

P.S. Optifast seems daunting but can be handled better then one might think. I lost weight on it back in 2010...

Dr Sullivan VSG Jan. 8th, 2013!
  Lost 100 lbs in a year post op with a VSG. 

time_for_me_2_be_m
e

on 3/16/13 12:25 pm - Oshawa, Canada

I'm in for going to the support groups.  I think at this point, it may help to have support and to know that I am not the only one that is out there dealing with the questions, etc.

Cuter_w_Curves
on 3/16/13 12:27 pm - Oshawa, Ontario, Canada
VSG on 01/08/13

Cool!

That is a huge part of why I am so into them. It really helped me keep my self "together".

Dr Sullivan VSG Jan. 8th, 2013!
  Lost 100 lbs in a year post op with a VSG. 

Most Active
Recent Topics