A total stranger's opinion

macrobug1
on 3/24/13 4:18 am

The lady that checked me out last night in Walmart informed me that I wasn't big enough to have WLS surgery.  It made me laugh when I told her I was down 85 lbs had another 100 lbs to go.  Her eyes got big and she said " NO!  Maybe 25 lbs."

I'm still wearing size 22! 

(Why were we even talking about WLS?  She commented on the fact that I was buying 1 orange, 1 red pepper, 1 apple...  She asked if I lived alone.  A little personal but I do live in rural Ontario and friendliness and personal tend to merge. LOL)

Paperbag_Princess
on 3/24/13 4:27 am - Canada
RNY on 03/27/13

I had a nurse in emergeny ask my why I felt I needed to have the surgery and especially being so young I could do it on my own.. And of course the only thing that I blurted out was I don't want to be FAT anymore all sarcastic.. Then she went on to tell me she used to be big and lost it all herself.. Umm yay? want  a cookie? I just thought it was SO rude for a healthcare professional to say it.. Especially the WAY she said it.. My choice.. My life.. I was there for my broken foot.. Not a lecture..!

So I feel ya girl.. That's why I wear my headphones whenever I go out.. lol

I'm not there yet but I'm closer then I was yesterday!

macrobug1
on 3/24/13 4:46 am

As a nurse I get upset when I hear about how unprofessional some nurses are.  Hugs. 

I wasn't upset at all. I thought it was funny.  She was actually quite kind and complimentary.  Just a little personal but I shared so it was ok

Onward and
Downward

on 3/24/13 7:35 am, edited 3/24/13 7:36 am - Canada
RNY on 11/07/12

I'd have told her, "Come talk to me in 5 years and we'll see how you did on your own. I've lost 100 lbs before too. Look at me now."

Yes, it would be rude and discouraging, but I don't mind being rude to people who are rude first, and the stats don't lie.  Most people who "do it on their own" gain it all back and more on their own within 5 years.

Referral to registry: Oct 21, 2011    Orientation (TWH): Feb 22, 2012     Surgery: Nov 7, 2012

Come to Toronto East End Coffee Nights! Click here for details.

gaelicgirl68
on 3/24/13 4:53 am - Mississauga, Canada

Yes its true there are so many out there who think WLS is the easy way out and those that lose the weight the "Normal Way" are somehow better because they did it on there own....it ****** me off this holier than though attitude. The results might be  the same really but it takes more guts to go for WLS than to go to a Weigh****cher meeting. Its a never ending journey either way cause the demons are always going to be there no matter how we arrived at our Goal.

I salute all those guys and gals who went ahead with WLS its not easy and does not come without its risks. I know for me its the best thing I ever did and I would do it again without a second thought ...even on my worst day after surgery and there were some really bad ones I would not go back.....

C

GaelicGirl68

Paperbag_Princess
on 3/24/13 5:07 am - Canada
RNY on 03/27/13

Well only 3 days till surgery.. No turning back.. I've never been one to feel as though I have to explain myself or my decisions to anyone.. I've been open and honest with everyone around me.. Including myself.. I need to have this happen.. And i'm lucky I have the support from everyone around me.. Strangers don't phase me.. And i'm not letting them set me off my one way track..  I haven't began to get nervous yet.. I'm saving that all for the operating table! lol

I'm not there yet but I'm closer then I was yesterday!

Julia P.
on 3/24/13 7:36 am - Canada
RNY on 10/16/12

Hey Macro!  Congrats on your success to date!  I sent you a PM last week as I was thinking of you - glad to hear things are good!

I've had a number of people tell me this week that I don't need to lose anymore weight, that I'm already too skinny.  I'm still over 200 lbs, and I feel that I still have 35-40 lbs to go. 

Referral - December 2011 * Orientation TWH - March 13th, 2012 * Nurse Practitioner - April 17th, 2012 * Nutrition Class - April 17th, 2012 * Social Worker - April 24th, 2012 * Dietician - May 1st, 2012 * Psych - May 1st, 2012 * Surgeon - August 17th, 2012 * PATTS - Sept. 12th, 2012 * SURGERY TEGH, Dr. Cyriac - October 16th, 2012

Starting Weight - 320 lbs   *   Current Weight - 178 lbs  *  Goal Weight - 165 lbs 

LilyBugsMommy
on 3/24/13 8:31 am - Kingston, Canada
RNY on 03/12/13

From what I have seen on here, the problem is, the people in your life are so used to seeing in a certain way/at a certain weight, that as you lose, even if you still need to lose more, they think you have lost enough :) It's very hard on them to see you change, lol!

Referral to Ottawa: Jan/11 Info Session: May/11 Nurse: Feb/12 Dietician/Behavourist/Abdominal Scan: Apr/12 Pre-op Education Class: Feb. 6/13 Meet Surgeon  Feb.15/13 Surgery with Dr. Raiche March 12/13!!

The race isn't given to the swift nor the strong, but it's given to the ones who endure it to the end...

Onward and
Downward

on 3/24/13 7:38 am - Canada
RNY on 11/07/12

That's great!  Congrats, it's little things like this, that remind me why I did it!  Sounds like you're doing great. :)

Referral to registry: Oct 21, 2011    Orientation (TWH): Feb 22, 2012     Surgery: Nov 7, 2012

Come to Toronto East End Coffee Nights! Click here for details.

Most Active
Recent Topics