Proteins - how to reach my quota!!! Desperate Here

Sheezmasweetie
on 3/31/13 1:43 pm - Medicine Hat, Canada

I am just under the one month mark of post-op (surgery date March 4- DR. Starr, Toronto). And I through tasting, buying, and getting free sample of proteins shakes...I am literally going to scream or puke.!!!!devil

I need and want ideas- I am lactose intolerant, allergic to eggs and bananas - so no Greek yogurts, no egg substitute either pls

From the calculations I am required at least 120g of protein a day. I was able to reach to reach the 60-80 goal on a few occasions by adding the protein to a few table spoons of optifast and now no more optifast left and I don't want to pay 100$ a week for the optifast, i just cannot afford it. I am not tolerating meat at this time .... I beg and plead for supporting ideas.

Desperate  Here

mona8
on 3/31/13 2:00 pm - Kingston, Canada
How about beans, legumes, & lentils they're good sources of protein as well.

Ref- Aug 2011, Orient ( OWMC )- Nov 11, Transfer to Kingston- May 12, NP, DT,SW,H-pylori ( neg ), BW, Ab US,- Jul 12, NP return Aug 12 ( HBA1C 8.2 ), started insulin - Sept 12, Diabetic Opti Clinic-Jan 11 13 ( HBA1C 7.0 ), pre-op class- Feb 6 13, Surgeon Feb 22 2013 ( Dr. Hagen HRRH ), Dr. Glazier March 18 2013, PATTS Mar 12 2013, Opti Mar 21 2013 Surgery April 4 2013.

mona8
on 3/31/13 2:02 pm - Kingston, Canada
Also can you tolerate fish yet? Also and excellent source of protein.

Ref- Aug 2011, Orient ( OWMC )- Nov 11, Transfer to Kingston- May 12, NP, DT,SW,H-pylori ( neg ), BW, Ab US,- Jul 12, NP return Aug 12 ( HBA1C 8.2 ), started insulin - Sept 12, Diabetic Opti Clinic-Jan 11 13 ( HBA1C 7.0 ), pre-op class- Feb 6 13, Surgeon Feb 22 2013 ( Dr. Hagen HRRH ), Dr. Glazier March 18 2013, PATTS Mar 12 2013, Opti Mar 21 2013 Surgery April 4 2013.

2mar
on 3/31/13 9:45 pm
RNY on 09/20/12

indeed - a great source. Tuna salad - steamed fish -

Also as somebody said beans is a great source.

You can't have nuts as yet - but once you are a bit further - cashew nuts are soft and easy to chew. ( but high in calories!!)

I made a lot of home made soups in that stage - and I added beef (Xlean ground beef - high in iron and protein)

Kale is also a veggie that is very high in protein.

Personally I don't like tofu - but also a great source.

And yes - contact your dietician for help. If you don't get enough protein your body is at risk (and you will loose more hair)

Hope you will do better soon

Judge your success by what you had to give up in order to get it.

JJ_
on 3/31/13 2:15 pm

Have you considered calling the nutritionist for support?  You must not be the only patient facing this issue.

Good luck.

Judy

funnelcloud
on 3/31/13 4:37 pm

I agree with Judy....  go see your dietician again.   I am not post surgery yet.... so I am on Optifast and liquids like broth, jello,

Have you thought about going back to pureeing your beef and chicken....again so you can get your protein into you?   It's just an idea.

The meal planner I have says to put  Whey Powder on your meals....

Here is a recipe out of the MEAL PLANNER i got from the WLC in Ottawa.

Special Protein Sauce:

Ingredients:

1-2 cans of white navy beans  or (kidney beans)

2 cans diced tomatoes (no salt added)

spices (your choice:  pepper, oregano, basil, bay leaf)       

all veggies (make sure they are soft  steam or microwave) onions, garlic.

Directions:  Add everything to a blender and puree.  Cook in a slow cooker.

The special protein sauce boosts protein while hiding vegetables in your meals.    It can be used for pasta sauce, beef stews, chili, mixed into meatloaf or meatballs or can be poured over chicken.  A great idea when making the sauce is to make large batches and portion into containers which can then be frozen or refrigerated.

Like i said this is out of the MEAL PLANNER after bariatric surgery....... I hope this will help you out...

God bless

Funnelcloud(Barb)

(deactivated member)
on 3/31/13 10:15 pm - Oshawa, ON, Canada
VSG on 01/28/13
I recently saw a lactose free cottage cheese at Walmart. I *think* it was by Gaylea. When I was early out I would mix cottage cheese with a little lower carb pasta sauce and a little Parmesan cheese. Warmed it slightly in the microwave. Tasted like lasagna filling.

Low fat deli meat was easier to handle early out than real meat.
birdiegirl
on 3/31/13 10:16 pm

Poor kid.....you've got some good ideas here.....just keep trying ....dont give up...

What you cant tolerate this week....you may be able to tolerate next week.....

How about trying to make your own protein shake combination....go on recipes forum to see various recipes....or go to eggface's blog on this site.....

Refried beans got me thru a two week period when I was early out....keep trying ok?

Sheezmasweetie
on 3/31/13 10:22 pm - Medicine Hat, Canada

Thanks everyone!!! Such amazing supports ...love it, thank you! I will sure try some of these ideas this week, I will not give up- but I do think I will stay away from the protein powders for now and focus on the foods that can keep me healthy and lean (ok not lean yet, but getting there, frown)

Not so desperate anymore!!

Maria40
on 3/31/13 10:24 pm - Canada

I feel for you.  Early out all I could tolerate was pork.  Everything else was horrible in my pouch.  I was lucky though, I could have the Premier Shakes from Costco but other sources of protein were out.

To this day [2+ years out] I still can't tolerate fish.  I can eat shrimp and crab but that's it for my ocean/sea friends.

I do enjoy tofu - great when I want a break from meat - have you tried it?  Soft tofu can be easily mixed into a smoothie too.  Beans were hard so early out for me but as Barb suggested, refried beans were well tolerated.

Someone suggested calling the dietician - I'd suggest that too.  The centre is there to help us and support us during this journey.   Maybe they'll have some suggestions that people here haven't thought of.

Good luck :)

Most Active
Recent Topics