1st week back at work and almost 6 weeks post op

Dar_Mab
on 4/17/13 10:13 am - Kitchener, ON, Canada
RNY on 03/08/13

Friday will be 6 weeks post op.  Where did the time go?  Wow. Day #3 of back to work. Going great although didn't take long to get right back into the thick of things. Been proud that I am managing my 9 to 10 hour fast paced corporate life, planning, making breakfast, and packing my lunch and snacks (after weighing, measuring and tracking), getting in my vitamins and 8 glasses of water.  And doing my 1 hour treadmill each evening. However only day #3 so won't get ahead of myself.  

This is a challenge as corporate life could have me on emails in the evening and then there goes time to workout.  So I am having to adjust my day and be selfish and focus on me before I give to my work.   Nobody said this was going to be easy but I will have to remain vigilant to avoid sliding back into the work/ lifestyle behaviour that got me here in the 1st place.   Wanted to post this as I think it is important for pre- ops to understand it is  day to day lifestyle changes that are as, if not more important than all the dietary  changes we have to make. We  have to live our life and fit our WLS journey in too.

Friday night will be one of my next challenges.  We have a group of friends that do a pub night out every once in awhile. Concept is that we pick a different pub/restaurant and then we meet to have dinner and drinks and try out the new place. I am trying to do advance planning and look at on line menu to see what I can have. Not worried about drinking as I never was a drinker and usually the DD. however this pub either puts breading on everything or has sides that are starch or sugar.  There are only 2 possible meals that I could have - blackened catfish New Orleans style or a quarter chicken.  However they might have marinades and bbq sauces on them very high in sugar.  that might be bad.  Hmmm.  Might have to just eat before I go out.  Lol.  These are the challenges we face. 

Good news is that many people at work have noted that I have lost weight and my face is thinner.  And this weekend is an all afternoon volleyball tournament.  Had to miss  5 weeks of season but back in the game this week!

HW: 305   SW: 272  CW: 155  Height: 5'4"

katzmeow13
on 4/17/13 10:19 am

Ask for a side of veg or salad instead of starch or have soup or chili... If they have an app that isn't fried you could just eat that... Maybe eat a bit before you go out so if there isn't anything for you it isn't the end of the world. I have found for the most part I can eat around a menu... The other day I had fajitas but ate off the plate instead of eating it wrapped in a tortilla... Still really yummy and just meat/veg/cheese

HW:282      pre-opti W: 268       CW: 172.       SW:255.5

Surgery: RNY   Jan. 17, 2013   Dr Raiche   OTTAWA

Dar_Mab
on 4/17/13 12:46 pm - Kitchener, ON, Canada
RNY on 03/08/13

All good ideas !   No Raw veggies or salads for 3 months and no red meat for 6 months. But I am hoping there is something I can nibble on.  

4-Jane
on 4/17/13 11:50 am - Canada

It often skip lunch at work and am worried about this post op, recently I was at a workshop and it really hit me that it will be a constant challenge to always be preparedness. And like some one has said before failing to plan is like planning to fail.  I am trying to bring lunch now so that I get into the habit .... Take care yourself and go easy this weekend too it is amazing how fast times goes by

Respectfully Jane
Dar_Mab
on 4/17/13 12:44 pm - Kitchener, ON, Canada
RNY on 03/08/13

Good idea. I did that too. - packed my lunch pre - op.  now I have cooler bags and ice paks so I can bring my lunch and two snacks. Tomorrow night I have to pack dinner too as I have no time to go home after work to play volleyball.  

Poe2004
on 4/17/13 12:17 pm - Ottawa, Canada
Im glad to hear you're doing well.

I go back to work next Tuesday. I'm really looking forward to it. I miss my co-workers, and the mental stimulation that comes from my job.

I think eating will be easier when my day is more scheduled. I currently don't eat snacks, because I sleep in, then I try to have lunch at a normal time, and I nap through afternoon snack time, and get up in time for supper. I'm not even tired, but nap out of boredom. Bt I guess it's better than eating out of boredom.

~Tammy

HW: 386 - RNY: 356.8 (14-Mar-2013) - CW: 238.6 (07-May-2014)  . . . GOAL: 199  

Dar_Mab
on 4/17/13 12:48 pm - Kitchener, ON, Canada
RNY on 03/08/13

You are right about that. Work does bring about a routine!  I missed work and am happy to be back.  Feel normal again. Good luck on your return to work!

JJ_
on 4/17/13 12:42 pm

Congrats on getting back into work life.   I found it took me about 2 weeks to feel fully adjusted to the workday routine and getting my vitamins in on schedule.  At first I set meetings with myself with the meeting title - Vitamins, so I wouldn`t forget to take them.

Judy

Dar_Mab
on 4/17/13 12:52 pm - Kitchener, ON, Canada
RNY on 03/08/13

Yes I set up reminders in my cell.   And because I go from meeting to meeting all day I carry around a small cooler bag with ice paks and my water bottle, snacks, lunch and my vitamins.  Should be no excuse to miss the snacks or the vitamins or the water. But it does take extra time to plan out what I need each day and pack it. And to make sure I have breakfast before I leave house. And you can't wolf down food so have to get up earlier than normal.  Hoping it becomes second nature in a couple of weeks

time2changeme
on 4/17/13 1:02 pm

Your doing and looking awesome and your positive attitude is inspiring!

Your so right about living our lives to fit in our WLS journey for success.  I'm so happy to hear your going to

participate in your season's ending volleyball tournament!!  angry

Most Active
Recent Topics