I just got home from hospital and I think I'm lactose intolerant :(

esther_cyw
on 4/28/13 10:49 am - Canada
RNY on 04/26/13
2.5hr drive home which was a little rough. Had a power nap shortly after getting home then took some of my liquid calcium. THATS WHEN IT STARTED...gurgle gurgle gurgle in the belly then diarrhea. It seemed to settle and after not eating yet today, hubby made me my first skim milk and protien powder shake. OH LORD! About an hour of more similar symptoms including bringing up curdled protien. So...I think I'm lactose intolerant. Anyone else experience this?
solongtubby
on 4/28/13 1:15 pm
I've heard of this happening, I hope someone can help you out with some info. I love milk, I'll be so bummed if it happens to me.

Nora

RNY with Dr. Huynh June 5, 2013.

Patm
on 4/28/13 1:29 pm - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

Try the protein powder with either soya milk or almond milk. If you have the same reaction it may be the powder. Good luck with sorting this out.

Make sure you still get fluids in.

Kimmer75
on 4/28/13 10:34 pm - London, Canada
I'm lactose intolerant after my surgery 3 weeks ago. The nurse told me it happens and may correct itself in a few months time. There is always the chance it won't though.

Good luck!!

Referal: November 2011 to Windsor Assessment Center, Orientation: February 9th, 2012, Request Transfer to Hamilton: March 23, 2012, Transfer madness for April, May, June, Abdominal Ultrasound: August 1, 2012, Dietician & SW: October 3, 2012,
Scope: November 8, 2012, Internist: November 14, 2012, Surgeon: November 27th, 2012

Surgery: April 10, 2013. VSG and gallbladder removed.  

Gabygee
on 4/28/13 10:42 pm - Canada

Just to be on the safe side, I've been buying lactose-free milk for the last 2 years, and am doing just fine. Thankfully there is a wide range of lactose-free products out there.

Immediately after returning home from surgery my friend offered me protein shakes designed for diabetics. I thought "what a great idea - I can avoid sugar at the same time!" and BOY did I suffer! Turns out it was the sugar alcohols in the shakes.

Now it's not the same for you obviously, but my moral is - don't give up on Lactose just yet.

Could be that your system is just rebelling against this major invasion that just happened.

(deactivated member)
on 4/29/13 6:56 am - Peterborough, Canada
RNY on 10/19/12

It is not uncommon. Usually the calcium liquid (wellese) is lactose free but check you protein powder to make sure it is lactose free. I would try mixing the protein shake with  water and ice.  

Milk products can be tough for the first while.

esther_cyw
on 4/29/13 10:52 am - Canada
RNY on 04/26/13

Thanks for all of your advice...maybe it wasn't lactose issues but I'm going to presume that for at least a week to get my body a bit healed before I try again.  I blog about this (below is the link) and I've got pictures of the protein stuff I purchased today and not causing me any issues.  Today was definitely a much better 2nd day at home since surgery Friday :) 

Most Active
Recent Topics