Nurse Practitioner at TWH

newpossibilities
on 4/24/13 1:42 am - Oakville, Canada
RNY on 11/19/13

Hi - I have my NP appointment with TWH next week and was wondering if anyone can tell me what to expect?  I am part way through the mountain of paperwork that they ask you to complete and I plan to bring that with me.

what is the nurse assessing at this appointment?

Referral Mar 1, 2013 Orientation Apr 17, NP May 2, SW May 6, Nut May 6, Dietitian June 6, Psych June 18, meet surgeon July 5, PATTS Oct 8, Surgery Nov 19th

Julia P.
on 4/24/13 2:57 am - Canada
RNY on 10/16/12

Congrats - that's exciting!  They will collect all of your paperwork at the front desk when you check in for your appointment.  The NP's I have met at TWH are all very nice.  They will be doing a medical work up on you (weight, blood pressure, ask you questions to see if you might need to be tested for sleep apnea).  It's a pretty easy appointment.

Good luck!

Referral - December 2011 * Orientation TWH - March 13th, 2012 * Nurse Practitioner - April 17th, 2012 * Nutrition Class - April 17th, 2012 * Social Worker - April 24th, 2012 * Dietician - May 1st, 2012 * Psych - May 1st, 2012 * Surgeon - August 17th, 2012 * PATTS - Sept. 12th, 2012 * SURGERY TEGH, Dr. Cyriac - October 16th, 2012

Starting Weight - 320 lbs   *   Current Weight - 178 lbs  *  Goal Weight - 165 lbs 

(deactivated member)
on 4/25/13 12:34 am

Hi ... I saw the NP for Initial Assessment a week ago ... they will go over your medial history; will ask you if you understand the risks/complications of the surgery; take your weight, height, blood pressure as well as measure your waist.

Bring any medical tests thar you have with you ... such as: sleep study test, pulmonary test, cardiology test, etc.  This is a big help to them and may speed up the overall process.

Finally, they will send your down to the 1st floor for blood work and an ECG ... you may have to schedule the blood work for a later day as they prefer you fasting ... I had nothing to eat that morning and my appointment was at 8:30, so they were able to take the blood at that time ... saved me a trip.

Of course, this is also a great opportunity for you to ask any questions you may have regarding the surgery, pre-op, post-op ... as well as what is next in the process ...

When my appointment was over, I asked the receptionist if there was an earlier opening to see the Social Worker (my next appointment which not for another month) ... there was an opening the next day!  Of course, I took it ... this, at the least, has cut down my wait time by one month ... something to concider ...

best of luck!

newpossibilities
on 4/25/13 2:46 am - Oakville, Canada
RNY on 11/19/13

thank you very much for the info - it's soooo helpful to be able to speak with people who are going/have gone through it too.

Referral Mar 1, 2013 Orientation Apr 17, NP May 2, SW May 6, Nut May 6, Dietitian June 6, Psych June 18, meet surgeon July 5, PATTS Oct 8, Surgery Nov 19th

Most Active
Recent Topics