Just wanted to post....feeling down...

funnelcloud
on 4/27/13 3:31 pm

I am so down....because this one incision is not healing the way the other 4 are.   I've also got a skin rash from having a dressing over it for one night.  So, i've been putting Polysporin triple antibiotic on it...and just letting it air out.  

The other thing is, I went out for the first time grocery shopping today (Saturday) with my friend...felt like a train ran over me. Then like a dummy I went out with her again tonight....( getting apartment bound or what...lol)....now i regret it.   I cannot for the life of me get down that gastly vanilla Whey protein powder... so I stocked up on Babyfood meals.

I'm supposed to be taking two multivitamins a day....cut in half.... so far i've managed one along with all my other oral meds.

I just found out online much more information about the VSG i had on April 12th...what an eye opener.  Turns out i've been pushing myself tooo hard.   I should never have tried pureed week 2.  It says liquid week 1 and 2.  No wonder I ended up in the ER. 

All I want is to figure out what I can or cannot have.....and what my body will tolerate... so far diluted apple juice is my friend... but, now they want me to drink water....which makes me sick.  GRRRR

signed

Frustrated early in the game.

God bless

Funnelcloud (Barb)

truckingbride
on 4/27/13 6:38 pm - Harriston , Canada

Sorry I didnt have a vsg I had a rny. But immediate post op, there is a lot to process and i think that your feelings sound like you are maybe overwelmed with all the things ' we are suppose' to be doing, mind you which are all important it can just add pressure to everything else going on. your desire to be a A+ patient, drink and eat what you are suppose to and feel human again, its a lot to take in. Id say I felt pretty similar in a lot of respects.

Hang in there sunshine, there is light at the end of the tunnel laugh

Onward and
Downward

on 4/27/13 9:36 pm - Canada
RNY on 11/07/12

It can be very overwhelming, it's true.  I had an RNY, so I can't give you advice about eating and supplements.  I can't remember how far out you are, but I know that for me, I had to take it easy on the outings.  I stuck pretty close to home for the first few weeks.  My first shopping trip was to Costco during week three or so, and I got very tired, very quickly.  It was too much, too soon.  I think that's completely normal after surgery - you have to take it easy.  (This is why I find it amazing when I hear about people returning to work after a couple of weeks - I don't know how they do it!)

Good luck to you - you'll figure it out.  That's what the first few weeks are for - figuring everything out!  :)  As for the flavoured protein powder - I also found it ghastly and couldn't eat it.  So I added unflavoured protein powder to various foods like yogurt, fat-free no-sugar-added pudding (that really helped, by the way - can't even taste it in that).  And I started buying the ready-made protein shakes from Costco - the Premier Protein brand.  It's the only kind of protein shake that didn't make me want to puke from the flavour, and didn't make me dump (other ready-made protein shakes did, like the Oh Yeah kind).  I bought a Costco membership just to get those darn shakes! :)

Referral to registry: Oct 21, 2011    Orientation (TWH): Feb 22, 2012     Surgery: Nov 7, 2012

Come to Toronto East End Coffee Nights! Click here for details.

Monica9811
on 4/27/13 9:36 pm - Peterborough, Canada

Barb sorry you are frustrated right now.  Did you get the booklet that tells you what food to have at each stage?  My first 2 weeks consisted of protein shakes, yogurt, cottage cheese, SF pudding with protein powder and soups-both broth and creamy.  Once I hit the pureed stage I lived on chili which I still love today.  It does get easier.  Listen to your body.  Don't over do it and you will start to feel better.  The key to healing well and quickly is protein protein protein.  The vitamins will come in time-we aren't perfect all the time-get in your acid pill no matter what, then work on the multi and calcium and B12.  Good luck with your incision-it is frustrating I know but it will heal.  Good luck!

Monica

Arlio1207
on 4/27/13 10:32 pm - Belleville , Canada
RNY on 04/04/13

Awww Barb, I am sorry you r going through this. It must be frustrating for you. Dont know if this will help, but maybe PM Shell (cuter w curves) she also had a sleeve done and is a go to for info for alot of ppl. She was my angel and came to see me right after I was out of recovery, she is a very compassionate person and like I said full of info. Maybe she can offer a few tricks to help u along the way? I really hope u r feeling well soon. BTW I am 3 weeks out from rny and I usually need a nap after a small outing.   Take it slow and only do what u feel up to. We all heal differently, some of us need more time than others.

Arlene enlightened

Referred June 26, 2012, Orientation Nov 7, Nurse Nov 19. Dietician and Psychologist Nov 21, Dietician #2 Jan 4, 2013, Final Nurse Jan 24, Meet surgeon Feb 20th, Pre Surgical class Mar 6th, Dr Glazier March 7, PATTS March 7, Surgery April 4th !!!!!

Dar_Mab
on 4/27/13 10:38 pm - Kitchener, ON, Canada
RNY on 03/08/13

Sorry to hear you are down. Can you go back to your clinic and get dietitian help?  View the VSF forum for ideas?  Perhaps even speak to social worker about how you feel?   Hang in there. It has to get easier!

HW: 305   SW: 272  CW: 155  Height: 5'4"

smarkone
on 4/27/13 10:45 pm

Im not advocating this, but why dont you try tanning just 5 mins in a low intensity bed, it works great for me in the winter for when Im feeling down and it will also help heal that incision.

Sharon

Referral sent Sept. 2011, Orientation Oct. 2012, 1st appt. with Surgeon Nov. 2012, Nut, Nurse and SW Nov. 2012, Dr. Glazer Jan 2013, Stress test, echo Feb 2013, 2nd appt with Surgeon March 2013, PATTS April 23, 2012  surgery May 8, 2013

(deactivated member)
on 4/28/13 1:02 am - Straford, Canada

Sorry you're feeling down.  Perhaps as you're feeling apartment bound and in need of an outing, maybe wander in your neighborhood, esp in the sun?

Food wise like other posters I recommend you up the protein, you need a protein powder that you can add to soups/cereal, unflavored, makes life a whole lot easier for the next while.  Fruit juice is empty calories, not a great choice, if its that or be dehydrated, take it, bu****er is better.  I had a nurse and a dietician at St Mike's have a knock down drag out fight over which I was going to get...  the dietician won and protein powder in pudding it was (yuck but it got better).  

Heal well, take it easy, but move as much as your body lets you.  kiss

Grammaof3
on 4/28/13 3:20 am - Canada

I was told about weider fruity splash....a protein powder you add to water. Goes down much easier than any of the other powders I tried. I add a dash of mango peach to it and bought mango peach powder so it is more like a refreshing drink than a protein supplement! I am almost 6 weeks out and still having trouble getting all the protein and fluids ddown. I had run but still am so glad I had it! It will get easier for sure!

Nanato2
on 4/28/13 7:30 am, edited 4/28/13 7:32 am - Canada
VSG on 02/12/13

Barb don't get frustrated I know the feeling I had a VSG your best bet is to go to the VSG board as well as this one as there is lot of people there that will give you good information.

You need to take it easy VSGers not only have stitches but we also have staples so it takes a bit for us to heal. I remember about three weeks out going out with friend to store and I had to go sit and wait in the car as I was exhausted.

I have not taken 2 vitamins I still only take one per day but I use a prenatal vitamins, as for that horrid vanilla whey protein I could not take it I used protein drinks from Costco.

Pureed foods are week 3 and even on puree soups and greek yogurt along with Wendy's chilli was my friend but make sure you get your protein and water in those two things are very important. If you can stay away from apple juice too many calories and sugar.

As for water it made me sick for about a month, doctor told me it was because of the inflammation and staples in our tummy's  tap water , bottled water was all the same so I had to boil the water then add Mio or crystal light to the water. 

It will get better have any questions send me PM.

Lynn

Referral- March 2012, Letter April 19, Orientation TWH- June 6, NP - July 3, Sleep Apena test July 16, Internist and SW  - July 17, Nutritional class - July 23, Dietician appt. July 30th, Psych-Social appt - Aug 20th. Follow up with doctor sleep apena Aug. 28th  Surgeons appt. - Dec. 14th Dr. Jackson. Surgery date - Feb 12 2013 - VSG   

Most Active
Recent Topics