low iron for months

Mackie_4
on 5/2/13 2:15 am, edited 5/2/13 2:25 am - Canada
Does anyone else have serious iron issues? My iron has only gone from a 3 to a 16 and now back to a 12, have been on high oral iron for 6 months now and that's the highest iron levels I have gotten. My cbc is normal though. There is talk of iron iv treatments, anyone have any knowledge or issues that I need to be aware of?
Catw
on 5/2/13 2:45 am - Arnprior, Canada

There are a few "experts" on iron on the forum, they'll probably chime in.  OKNEE is one you could talk to about it.

Cathy

Mackie_4
on 5/2/13 3:31 am - Canada
Thank you Cathy
KristieA
on 5/2/13 5:22 am - Orillia, Canada
I was in the same boat (sinking fast...lol). No energy and tired all the time. I had the IV infusions and what a difference. Wi**** hadn't taken almost a year to decide to do infusions. Bit of a pain in the butt to sit for 2 hours per session, but totally worth it.

The only side effect I had was the bright orange pee (everyone gets that I think) and for me I was light headed during the infusions as my blood pressure went down, but once the infusion was done I was fine.

Hope you get some resolution soon,

Kristie

"Don't trade what you want the most,
                    for what you want at the moment."

EternalEx
on 5/2/13 5:28 am - Canada
Kristie - did you get IV infusions from a GP or naturopath? I'm planning to do a vitamin infusion, but heard that the iron ones can be painful?
KristieA
on 5/2/13 8:55 am - Orillia, Canada
I won't lie, the first one burned the whole two hours up my arm. The second one they placed the IV in my upper arm. Much better although it was tough to keep my arm straight.

I had my GP send the requistion/prescription to my local hospital and they did it there.

Hope that helps,

Kristie

"Don't trade what you want the most,
                    for what you want at the moment."

kellybelly333
on 5/2/13 4:47 pm - Toronto, Canada
Wow Kristie!! I never had any problems, or bright orange pee with the four I've had!! I did feel like a truck ran me over the next day. And I never felt the energy that others get after. I felt no different.

Surgery March 23/2011. Completed three full marathons and two half marathons, two half Ironman distances. Completed my first Full Ironman distance (4 km swim, 180 km bike, 42.2 km (full marathon) run) in Muskoka August 30/2015. Next Ironman Lake Placid July 23/2017!

Mackie_4
on 5/2/13 5:54 am - Canada
Thank you for your reply. I have finally decided to go thru with trying the treatments. Keep telling myself it has to be better then feeling like this all the time. I will be getting mine through the emerg dept at my hospital as I live way in the north and my GP is 7 hours away now.
kellybelly333
on 5/2/13 4:49 pm - Toronto, Canada
I am happy to have infusions, and I hope you will be on the men's soon enough. What iron supplement do you take? My iron was never able to go up without infusions, so as much as it went back down....at least it did go up at one point!!

Surgery March 23/2011. Completed three full marathons and two half marathons, two half Ironman distances. Completed my first Full Ironman distance (4 km swim, 180 km bike, 42.2 km (full marathon) run) in Muskoka August 30/2015. Next Ironman Lake Placid July 23/2017!

Mackie_4
on 5/2/13 10:19 pm - Canada
I currently take ferrous gluconate.
Most Active
Recent Topics