Anyone start to have Second thoughts just before surgery?

BluIzGal
on 5/19/13 1:37 am - Canada
RNY on 07/10/12

I had second thoughts.... More nervous than anything and was crying so much I was asked several times if I wanted to go through with it. I knew it was more nerves than anything else and the last thing I recall before being put out is a nurse holding my hand and wiping my tears. Do I regret having the surgery?  After a rough first six months with complications I can say no, no regrets. I wouldn't have lost the weight without it. 

gwynnkitty
on 5/19/13 2:16 am - North York, Canada

I think it's only human of us all to think like this, Lisa. I've done this before, and I'm STILL having second thoughts. I'd love to believe that there's another way for me to do it, but a lifetime worth of experience has proven otherwise. 

Like with anything, the bad stuff sticks in our memory. But you know how I look at it? Our surgeons know what they're doing. We have amazing support here. The chances of something truly "bad" happening are a hell of a lot smaller than the chances of developing weight-related issues are. I was told a few months ago that I'm literally a hair's width away from being diagnosed with Type II Diabetes - that's my BIGGEST fear. This surgery is going to make that go away, and it's going to make me have a life that has never been possible for me before. 

I want to run a 5K. I want to walk around downtown for more than an hour without lagging behind my family and using my puffer and feeling like the fattest person around. I want to look at the reflection of me and my son in the subway window and NOT think "Holy **** I'm enormous." This surgery is going to make ALL of those things something I remember, but don't have to live through.

We wouldn't be human if we didn't have second thoughts. This life is comforting, in a way. I sometimes wonder if I'm here because I believed, on some level, that I didn't deserve to have a good life. Well, those days are over. I DO deserve a good, active, healthy life - and so do you. We all do. 

Give yourself a big hug, doll. You can do this - and just imagine where you'll be a year from now. Keep looking forward.

Referral to Surgeon: February 12, 2013 Appointment with Surgeon: April 24, 2013 Endoscopy: April 30, 2013 Referral sent to Bariatric Registry: May 2, 2013 Orientation Appointment: May 27, 2013 Dr Klein Appointment: June 6, 2013 Second Upper GI Series: June 11 Dr Glazer: August 12, 2013 RN/RD/SW: August 29. 2013 Follow-up With Dr Klein: September 23, 2013 Start Opti: October 23, 2013 Surgery Date: November 14, 2013 

TanyaLH
on 5/19/13 4:40 am - London, Canada
RNY on 05/31/13

I am on day 3 of opti, and I am having second thoughts as well. I am having more anxiety in the last 2 weeks then I have had in the last 5 years.

Thanks for all the inspirational post everyone they really do help.

Lisa, all the best on Friday!!!!

Tanya

JJ_
on 5/19/13 4:48 am

No I did not have second thoughts.  I first went to Weigh****chers in 1974.  I tried many different ways to lose weight and was never successful long term. It has now been 17 months post-surgery with no complications.  I am very happy with my results.

Judy

Onward and
Downward

on 5/19/13 8:16 am - Canada
RNY on 11/07/12

Lisa, I was terrified before surgery.  I kept worrying that I was going to die, or that I would have awful complications.

I comforted myself by saying, okay, I'm in a real mess now.  I can't walk for more than a block, and I'm a heart attack waiting to happen.  My quality of life is terrible, I'm often miserable...so if I lose weight but have complications, will I be more miserable than now?  Probably not.  And I could die tomorrow anyhow, of a heart attack or a stroke.  Which would have been WAY more likely than dying in surgery.   I could have developed diabetes - everyone in my family gets it and I was just waiting for it to happen to me - it was almost a guarantee that I'd get it.  Talk about a "complication"!

I think you're doing the right thing.  Everyone has to make the decision for themselves, but I have to tell you, I have absolutely no regrets at all.  Six months out, I've lost over 100 lbs.  It's unreal, and amazing!

Referral to registry: Oct 21, 2011    Orientation (TWH): Feb 22, 2012     Surgery: Nov 7, 2012

Come to Toronto East End Coffee Nights! Click here for details.

lisachevy
on 5/19/13 8:31 am - Kitchener, Canada
Again, I have to thank everyone for your replies. Like I said before I would not be able to go through this without the support from you all on this site. I don't have much support at home (I do have my mother but she is very scared herself and anytime I tell her she says right away not to have surgery)

Your stories and support have helped me a lot. 4 more days to go and its show time.
theadmin1
on 5/19/13 2:26 pm - Belleville , Canada

I had second thoughts off and on right up and including when I was going in for surgery.... BUT I knew I was doing the right thing.  If you have done your research... asked all the questions of your medical team and have a good support system at home, then you need to do this for YOU!

Good Luck... I am almost 3 weeks post op and have not regretted my decision...  

Teri

Needanewbeginning
on 5/19/13 2:27 pm - Barrie, Canada
RNY on 05/21/13

Hi Lisa,

Great question, I am sure many have wondered. I so appreciated reading everyone's replies. We re so close Lisa. I personally am terrified, yes I really am. We can do this, I CAN do this, positive vibes only, you will rock this!!

What an amazing place this OH is! Thank you everyone enlightened

Annette

Starting weight: 334 lbs.Starting opti weight: 323 lbs, Surgery weight 303 lbs.Surgery-May 21st, 2013 with Dr Hagen at HRRH Goal weight 165 lbs reached at 13 months. Current weight 156 lbs

Most Active
Recent Topics