Anyone start to have Second thoughts just before surgery?

lisachevy
on 5/18/13 11:50 pm - Kitchener, Canada
So just curious if anyone started having second thoughts just before surgery? I think I am. I think I am just getting scared because I am like that in general. I haven't had any sort of surgery before.

I have also been forwarding some pages about long term effects of RNY which I have read all before but its hard to read again just before surgery. Plus I am also confused as to what I am having done 'cause my mom swears she heard Dr. Reed say your having the sleeve. I did hear sleeve but what we talked about was RNY. I am going to call his office on Tuesday to double check. (Surgery is friday)

Anyway I just want to know if anyone else had this feeling just before surgery and how they got passed it. Thanks so much for always posting on my posts. I don't think I could get through sometimes with out all of you.

Lisa
smallisland
on 5/19/13 12:07 am - Canada
VSG on 10/30/13

Hi, I am not on the opti yet i and I know at times I get scared as well.  The negative stories tend to stick with me more than the positive ones...and honestly...some of those stories make me think twice at times.  I just keep telling myself the reasons why I am doing the surgery...for my health and I try to focus on the positive.  It is important to be informed about the negative but also important to put it in prospective.  It is natural for any surgery to come with the fears you are having. Maybe other's can help a little more than myself.  Good luck on the surgery :) 

Referral Feb 2012, Orientation at Guelph Nov. 29/12, RN, SW and NUT Feb. 13/12, 2nd RN, SW and NUT April 26/13, Dr. Agarwal May 7/13, SW May 22/13. HW 334lbs, CW 269 lbs. Post-op nutrition course August 1/13, Dr. Jules Foute Nelong Sept 9/13, PATTS Oct 9/13, Opti Oct 16/13, Surgery Oct 30/13.

Diminishing Dawn
on 5/19/13 12:12 am - Windsor, Canada

You are human to have second thoughts.  Nerves can run us ragged.  It's a big change.  Rny was my first surgery ever.  It was a huge step. I went to Michigan for mine back in the day and there was very little support for me.   

Dont turn back now.  It will be amazing.  Just keep busy and resolve that you are going to kick ass with this surgery. Work hard at it and not complain.  Set your mind up for success now. 

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!
HW:290 LW:139 RW: 167 CW: 139

Monica9811
on 5/19/13 12:34 am - Peterborough, Canada

I agree Dawn-set your mind up for success now!  Great response.  I had my surgery February 27th and it was the best thing I ever did.  I have had no complications other than constipation right after surgery.  Other than that it has been amazing.  Don't focus on the negative or the bad stories.  With any surgery there can be complications but there are many many more people who have no complications.  Good luck on Friday and whether it is the sleeve or RNY you will still do amazing!!!

Lorieliz
on 5/19/13 12:46 am - Canada

Sometimes I think we are sharing a brain Lisa. I literally had to unjoin the St. Joe's Facebook page. The negative stuff that is happening there (no reflection on the page or the majority of the members) was scaring the hell out of me. Stricture this, feeding tube that...I gotta think that the exceptions are the rule when it comes to sharing sometimes.

Like I said, it scares me. It also scares me that I heard a lot of not so good stuff about Dr. Gmorra (who is my surgeon). Again, exceptions are always more vocal and I have to go with my gut (pardon the pun) and trust that hundreds have had no issues and are thoroughly happy. THat was  the mood I always got here. Happy with the results and living life, for the whole year or so I have been here, I have been nothing but  encouraged.

We are changing our bodies forever, this is a big deal. But it is a good deal. I could lie to myself and say that "hey, you managed to not eat for a week, you can diet!" Bull**** 40 years of my life says I suck at it. I want the next forty to be better. I want to stop hurting, stop hating myself every time I manage to not dodge a mirror or a picture. Stop failing every time I reach for more because I am still hungry.

I have to remember that I can handle any of the issues that arise. I have been doing that for a long time. Other than death (which could be waiting in the next car I get into) I can get through it, and  it beats the hell out of the issues that being fat and unhealthy WILL cause.

What will be will be. I have chosen to change my life for what I see as the better. I will cope, and I will go forward confident that I have done what is best for me. It's never bad to have second thoughts Lisa, I had tons when I was pregnant..lol...fear is what keeps us alive. Living is how you face those fears.

I want this, I need this and, as scared as I am right now, I know I can do it, no matter what comes. Sometimes you just have to trust that you got to this point because you knew it was where you needed to be. Open your eyes, cross your fingers and jump.

Referral St. Joe's, Hamilton - Surgery May 28, 013 

Monica9811
on 5/19/13 12:50 am - Peterborough, Canada

Great post/reply!  You will do amazing as well.  Have faith.  Fear is healthy just don't let it get in your way of success.  Good luck on the 28th! 

kristaeb
on 5/19/13 3:02 am

That was a great post Lori.Enjoyed it very much, Thank- you..Krista..

Refered Jan 15/13..Surgery June 27/13 , Dr Hagan.

kristaeb
on 5/19/13 12:50 am

Hi Lisa ,my surgery is in June and yes i have been back and forth , especially when i hear the the problems that some people have had months and even years after they had surgery. My husand and i talk often. And i want this so bad that it out ways my negitve thoughts. I had my first surgery dream just last night lol. I woke up after surgery with hardly any pain, Dr Hagan said it went well but it was one of his most difficult ones he has done yet he said to me. Leave it to me to give the doc a hard time i thought lol. I also know we all are in very good hands when we go for this surgery , they are great a what they do, and that helps me a lot . I have  5 friends that have had the surgery as well. Two went to the states a few years back and the other 3 in Ontario. All doing really well so far. It is very normal to feel what you are feeling. I dont know anyone who has backed out yet. I do know 2 ladies who wont even contimplate having it done because they are scared to be put under for surgery. The one can no longer do her nursing job because she cant stand on her feet that long any more. She is looking into the new opti progam though. I have known her for 20 years and she said she wishes she had my nerve. We all will make the decison thats best for us. You will do great Lisa... Friday is your day to start your new journey for a healthier you and a better life.. Cheers Krista...

Refered Jan 15/13..Surgery June 27/13 , Dr Hagan.

ReadyToLiveLisa
on 5/19/13 1:00 am - Hamilton, Canada
RNY on 08/02/13

Wow!, Lori... that was an most inspiriting post. :) 

~Lisa. 

Referral:April 4th, 2012.Letter Received for Orientation:June 4th, 2012.Orientation: Sept. 24th, 2012. Blood Work: Dec 14th, 2012. Dietician: January 30th, 2013. ECG Done: January 30th, 2013 Gastroscopy: Feb. 5th, 2013. Social Worker: Feb. 8th, 2013(Canceled, due to snow storm). Abdominal Ultrasound: Feb. 12th, 2013. Surgeons Appt. Feb. 20th, 2013. Social Worker(Rescheduled): Feb. 25th, 2013. Internist: March 4th, 2013. Meet the Surgeon: March 12th, 2013.No Sleep Test Needed. Opti Started: July 16 - 30, 2013.Nutrition Class: July 18th, 2013. PATTS: July 19th, 2013 Surgery: August 2nd, 2013.

Darksyde
on 5/19/13 1:30 am
Totally hearing what Lori was saying. I'm starting to lose some weight after making some lifestyle changes, and have thought that maybe I can do this without the surgery, but I've also been here before.

Second thoughts are normal before making any major life changes. Stay focused on your goals, and think how much this will help you achieve them. In the end it's up to you, but like it asks in my orientation package: Is the risk of living with obesity greater than the risk of the surgery?

Stay strong, and know that no matter what, you can find support here.

Orientation - 05/04/13  Social Worker - 08/04/13  Nurse Practitioner - 07/05/13  Nutrition Class - 13/05/13  Psych Assessment - 04/06/19  Nutritionist - 19/06/13  Dr. Urbach - 19/07/13  PATTS - 02/08/13  SURGERY AT TWH - 13/08/13  HW-393 Opti Start-386  SW-347

Most Active
Recent Topics