i hate my head somedays!!

michellealana
on 5/21/13 11:31 am

So i am getting close... surgeon appointment booked in a month.

Does anyone have all these wacky thoughts too- like am i really going to do this, what if they screw up, should i really be cutting my stomach up!! What if i do this and i have such a hard time making diet changes, what if i fail

What about Optifast doubts? what if i cant do it? What if one day i go nuts and eat a bunch of food?

I know these are all self-doubt thoughts, and I know i can do this, and I know i have this..... but these thoughts still creep into my head. is this what happens to everyone? No one talks about this stuff!!

ARRRGH!!

Referral sent: October 17, 2012  Info Session: February 13, 2013  NP: March 13, 2013

Dietitian/SW: March 25, 2013    Abdominal Ultrasound/ECHO: March 26, 2013  Second Dietitian: April 24, 2013

Transfer to OWMC: May 10, 2013 Call from Clinic: May 21, 2013  Pre-Surg Class: June 26, 2013

Surgeon/PATTS: June 26, 2013 Call for surgery, July 2, 2013

Surgery July 25, 2013 Dr Neville Ottawa Civic 

moniquesgettingft
on 5/21/13 11:40 am - Scarborough Ontario, Canada
Try not to over think things I'm only just over 2 weeks out and it's all trial and error. You will make mistakes but you dust yourself off and start again. Keep your eye on the prize and you'll be fine.

You CAN do it!
theadmin1
on 5/21/13 11:45 am - Belleville , Canada

You sound pretty much on track... I was a crazy woman with weird ideas and thoughts as soon as I had a date.... even right up and including the day of surgery.... BUT if you have researched this and asked all the necessary questions and have a good support system, then you will do just fine...  I am 3 weeks post op and doing good... down 24 pounds... no real issues but I am following the guidelines and have just started eating soft food... such as mashed potatoes and chicken... I had some chili for dinner tonight and my stomach or 'pouch' seems to be fine....

Good luck.

Teri

Marny B.
on 5/21/13 11:50 am - Canada
I think a whole lot of people feel this way before surgery. Right now, this whole thing is still so surreal for you. Likely you've dreamt about doing this, and what it would be like to make such a transformation. You've probably been over and over the before and after pictures of other OHers (if you are anything like I was). The experience is also still full of unknowns for you. No matter how many stories you hear about others going through it, it's not the same as facing it yourself.

Myself- I felt like I had developed bipolar disorder during the time before surgery. One day I'd be giddy with excitement, the next day I'd be sobbing because I was terrified. My kids were 3 and 5 years old at the time. I was worried that I'd die n the table. You name it- I worried about it! I cried on the day of surgery- a lot! However, it wasn't as scary as I had made it out to be, at all. Recovery for me, was not any more painful than a c-section. I was walking and drinking, the next day. Life took a bit of getting used to, but now at 2 and a half years post op, I feel just like myself, except improved.......Marny 2.0! LOL

You'll go through a lot of ups and downs, and I think it's perfectly normal. You are making a big decision. Have faith that it will all work out! Once you wake up from surgery, you'll never look back!

Referral Sent:  March 19, 2010
Surgery date with Dr. Denis Hong: December 9, 2010

gwynnkitty
on 5/21/13 12:41 pm - North York, Canada

Thank you for this, Marny. I'm doing literally everything you said you did before surgery - and I've been through this before! *boggle* Sometimes I wonder if I'm going nuts, because I feel like it's encompassing everything right now. I go through "What the hell am I thinking??" to "I can't wait" to "What if??" 

It really IS a huge decision - but I know, in my heart, that it's the RIGHT one. I think we all do, deep down. 

Referral to Surgeon: February 12, 2013 Appointment with Surgeon: April 24, 2013 Endoscopy: April 30, 2013 Referral sent to Bariatric Registry: May 2, 2013 Orientation Appointment: May 27, 2013 Dr Klein Appointment: June 6, 2013 Second Upper GI Series: June 11 Dr Glazer: August 12, 2013 RN/RD/SW: August 29. 2013 Follow-up With Dr Klein: September 23, 2013 Start Opti: October 23, 2013 Surgery Date: November 14, 2013 

Marny B.
on 5/21/13 12:58 pm - Canada
Our minds are very powerful, aren't they?! LOL

I think I had always seen WLS as something that would never happen for me. I started the process still thinking it wouldn't happen. Then before the year was up, there I was, on the doorstep of a major surgery. Eeeek. I don't believe I fully believed it was going to happen until after it was already done. I kept waiting for someone to put the kibosh on the whole thing. I even had dreams about waking up from surgery and the doctor telling me, it just wasn't possible for them to do it.
But nope...here I am, living the life I only day dreamed about. Let me tell you....it is a hop skip and a jump until you're 2 years post op, too and you'll be wondering "How the heck did I get here so fast?!"

gwynnkitty
on 5/21/13 1:06 pm - North York, Canada

I seriously think we may very well share a brain. I'm not even kidding. 

EVERYTHING you just said, I've thought. I've said. I've journalled. I *cannot* imagine that this is ACTUALLY going to happen. Even now! I think partially because I had the failed VBG back in 2001, and I've lived with nothing but the side effects and weight for over a decade. The "smallest" I got with that surgery was 225 - hardly "normal". Heck, some people here are STARTING at 225lbs. 

I'm thankful EVERY DAY for this forum. Why? Because of things like this conversation.

Referral to Surgeon: February 12, 2013 Appointment with Surgeon: April 24, 2013 Endoscopy: April 30, 2013 Referral sent to Bariatric Registry: May 2, 2013 Orientation Appointment: May 27, 2013 Dr Klein Appointment: June 6, 2013 Second Upper GI Series: June 11 Dr Glazer: August 12, 2013 RN/RD/SW: August 29. 2013 Follow-up With Dr Klein: September 23, 2013 Start Opti: October 23, 2013 Surgery Date: November 14, 2013 

kristaeb
on 5/21/13 12:17 pm

Great post Marny. Thank-you....Krista......

Refered Jan 15/13..Surgery June 27/13 , Dr Hagan.

Marny B.
on 5/21/13 12:35 pm - Canada
No prob. at all

KAT_P
on 5/21/13 1:55 pm - Canada
RNY on 06/05/13
My surgery is June 5. I am having the exact same thoughts and feelings. Just taking it a day at a time and hoping to make it through the next two weeks without my kids disowning me.......

Ottawa Referral:June 1, 2012 ~ Information Session:July 6, 2012~ Sleep Study: July 6, 2012  Nurse:December 12, 2012~ Social Worker and Dietician:February 5, 2013 ~ Ultrasound: March 15, 2013Nutrition class: March 27, 2013 ~ Surgeon Consult: April 4, 2013 (Dr. Mamazza) ~ Surgery: June 5, 2013 (Dr. Mamazza) ~ Plastic Surgery: March 10, 2015 (Fleur-de-Lis Tummy Tuck)

Most Active
Recent Topics