Any one had Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy? Live in Windsor??

cutecanadiangirl
on 6/6/13 10:16 am

Hello,

I am just starting this process and am considering VSG.  Has anyone from the Windsor area had this surgery?  Just wondering who the best surgeon is and which area to choose to have it done - Toronto or Hamilton?  I know the surgery type is up to the surgeon, but this this the best type of procedure for me based on a previous talk with a Michigan doctor.  Is there a doctor to avoid????     Thanks so much!

Diminishing Dawn
on 6/6/13 10:43 am - Windsor, Canada

You should come to the support group meeting and i can introduce you to people that have had it in person.  We also have an online group if you are on facebook.  Just message me.  Generally Windsor patients have a choice between Toronto and Guelph for surgery. I would recommend Guelph over Toronto only because Toronto seems to be quite sticky on the criteria for OHIP to approve you whereas Guelph seems to be a little more lenient.  Ohip criteria is generally an issue like Crohns or colitis or a lot of previous scar tissue from surgeries.  You won't really have a choice of doctor so much.

Dawn

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!
HW:290 LW:139 RW: 167 CW: 139

PaulaToronto
on 6/6/13 1:24 pm - Toronto, Canada

I used born and schooled in Windsor, does that count? I had VSG surgery in Hamilton and had a fabulous hospital experience there.  I had Dr. Hong.  His wife works out of Guelph.

Highest W 312   Referral W 252   Surgery W 237   CW 156  Height 5'6"            

Prayinforchange
on 6/9/13 3:31 am - Canada

I am scheduled for VSG surgery on June 20th at Toronto Western Hospital with Dr. Penner. After much research, I too had decided that Vsg would be my best option. I did fit the criteria for the surgery ( previous invasive abdominal surgery and a need for NSAIDS on a somewhat regular basis) but I found the doctor more than willing to discuss the surgeries and even stated that we should have a say in what options we felt were best for us. Overall I found him to be very willing to be accommodating. 

Darlene

Darlene

Referral: Sept. 2012, Orientation Oct. 2012, Nurse, Social work, Nutrition Class, Jan. 2013, Doctor visit, Feb. 6, 2013, Follow up Nutrition and Social work Mar. 12, 2013, Follow Up Doctor visit, Mar. 13, 2013, Surgical consult May 17, 2013!!

Most Active
Recent Topics