requirements for sleeve

Katiebear291
on 6/9/13 8:34 am - Canada
RNY on 12/10/13

Maybe I am looking in all the wrong places but I wonder what are the requirements to qualify for gsv over rny - I have IBS which already comes with alot of food restrictions and symptoms that resemble that you all know as dumping.

I have only considered rny but should really weigh that option if it is available to me.

RNY  - December 10 2013 Dr Lindsay Toronto's Saint Joseph Hospital Toronto

Needanewbeginning
on 6/9/13 9:51 am - Barrie, Canada
RNY on 05/21/13

Your surgeon will be the one who decides which option for you is best. Sorry, I can't help you with this.

Starting weight: 334 lbs.Starting opti weight: 323 lbs, Surgery weight 303 lbs.Surgery-May 21st, 2013 with Dr Hagen at HRRH Goal weight 165 lbs reached at 13 months. Current weight 156 lbs

Leslie W.
on 6/9/13 10:19 am - Cobourg, Canada

A lot is dependent on your medical history. Very high BMI and medical risk. For example you require steroids to treat a medical issue. I do not believe IBS is a qualification in itself. "dumping" post RNY is limited if you stay away from sugars, high fats etc... so RNY may eliminate those symptoms.

I am sure many others will respond here. You want to make sure you do your research before seeing your surgeon. Present your reasons why you need a sleeve. No guarantee that you will get one. RNY is the gold standard in Ontario.

Referral: August 2010 Orientation TWH: May 25, 2011  NP: June 8/11, f/u sleep clinic June 7, abd u/s June 14, SW: June 28/11  Nutrition Class: July 5/11, Dietician Aug 09, Psychologist Aug 25 Surgeon Sept 16th Surgery Date: Oct 11/11 HW:287, Opti wt: 260 SW: 242
My Angel is Sheri TK   
Nanato2
on 6/9/13 10:51 am - Canada
VSG on 02/12/13

For VSG IBS is not a qualification IBD is. IBS and IBD are very different. 

I have attached below some information you will have to do your research and talk to your surgeon as he is the one who makes the decision not us.

http://www.ontariobariatricnetwork.ca/sleeve-gastrectomy.aspx

Referral- March 2012, Letter April 19, Orientation TWH- June 6, NP - July 3, Sleep Apena test July 16, Internist and SW  - July 17, Nutritional class - July 23, Dietician appt. July 30th, Psych-Social appt - Aug 20th. Follow up with doctor sleep apena Aug. 28th  Surgeons appt. - Dec. 14th Dr. Jackson. Surgery date - Feb 12 2013 - VSG   

deew1234
on 6/10/13 12:41 am - Stratford, Canada

I had the VSG and before my surgery I had a lot of gastro intestinal issues, but ultimately it was my very high BMI that factored into my surgeons decision to give me the VSG!!! You can mention your interest in having the VSG, but your surgeon will have the final say in what surgery you will get!! Trust in their decision as they will know which route is best for you!!

Most Active
Recent Topics