1 year surgery anniversary!

Silverlake1975
on 6/18/13 10:48 pm - Ottawa, Canada
RNY on 06/19/12

Well, it's been exactly one year since I had my surgery...in fact right about now I was sitting in the waiting room at the Civic in a hospital gown, not feeling as nervous as I thought I should feel...and here I am one year later and down over 100 pounds (126 and counting to be exact).  What a ride it's been.  I will never, ever regret the decision I made to have this done..it is the single most important and best thing I have ever done for myself.   I am thrilled with how far I've come and hopeful that I will still continue to have success on this journey.  The weight loss ha**** plateaus many times and has slowed quite a bit now that I've lost over 100 pounds etc...which at times, I have to admit, feels scary.  So I find myself here today, on my one year "surgeversary" and I'm wanting to pose a question to everyone who ha**** their one year mark and beyond.  I am not at "goal" yet...and although the surgeon never said anything about having to hit the projected "goal" by the one year mark, I guess I just want to hear from people who have passed this point that you have still been able to lose beyond the one year mark.  I just saw the nurse for my one year follow up and she said you can keep losing from the surgery for up to 18-24 months.  I am extremely happy with how far I've come and I think the logical side of my brain knows that I'm not done.  I'm doing the things I should be doing and exercising etc...So I think the emotional side of my brain just wants to hear other people's experiences.  And again, I'm not worried that I'm not at goal at one year, since there was no "deadline" to hit this goal and even the goal itself is more of a guideline.  I guess I just want to hear your own experiences around this time in the process!

But all that being said, I would do this again in a heartbeat and when I look at old pictures of myself from beyond a year ago, I can't believe how far I've come!  

Thanks in advance for anyone who wants to tell me their story! 

Julia P.
on 6/18/13 10:50 pm - Canada
RNY on 10/16/12

Happy Surgiversary!  Congratulations on how far you've come.  I have also read that the window is between 18-24 months before the malabsorption starts to wind down, so there is still time for you to get to goal. I find that posting my daily menu in the What are you eating/doing thread helps me get feedback from the vets and to stay accountable.

Good luck as you continue your journey down to goal!

Referral - December 2011 * Orientation TWH - March 13th, 2012 * Nurse Practitioner - April 17th, 2012 * Nutrition Class - April 17th, 2012 * Social Worker - April 24th, 2012 * Dietician - May 1st, 2012 * Psych - May 1st, 2012 * Surgeon - August 17th, 2012 * PATTS - Sept. 12th, 2012 * SURGERY TEGH, Dr. Cyriac - October 16th, 2012

Starting Weight - 320 lbs   *   Current Weight - 178 lbs  *  Goal Weight - 165 lbs 

Silverlake1975
on 6/18/13 11:06 pm - Ottawa, Canada
RNY on 06/19/12

Thanks for your reply Julia!  I appreciate your feedback! I love reading the "what you are eating/doing thread"...it's a great resource!!  I haven't posted on it before, but maybe I should give that a try!

Thanks again!  

Patm
on 6/18/13 11:26 pm - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

Congrats on your one year. You appear to have done well. At one year I had gone from 294 to 160. I am now 145 at 16mths. Some of my weight loss was due to illness but the rest was just following plan and exercise. I also post on what are you eating.

Good luck with your continued success

Silverlake1975
on 6/18/13 11:30 pm - Ottawa, Canada
RNY on 06/19/12

Thanks for your reply!  And congratulations to you on your own success!  I like hearing that things can still keep moving on the scale even after the one year mark!  It's encouraging!  Sorry to hear that some of it was due to illness...and I hope you're feeling better!

Patm
on 6/18/13 11:36 pm - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

Yes I am much better. It was not related to WLS

Silverlake1975
on 6/18/13 11:47 pm - Ottawa, Canada
RNY on 06/19/12

Glad to hear you're better!

Mary A.
on 6/19/13 2:59 am

awesome and what a wonderful year it has been (I am sure), no doubt it hasn't been without struggles or tears..just remember you had this surgery to feel better, move more and live longer.

KUDOS and I hope your upcoming year is filed with many wonderful moments~!!

(p.s. I can't recall my experiences at the 1 year mark, because I am 4.5 years post-op)..all I can say is that...I am maintaining between 96-100lb weight loss I still read labels, I still watch my sugar and calorie intake.

I don;t eat much bread or starch...and I enjoy SHOPPING!!!  I will be having PS next year about this time and am very excited to fit into a size 32 waist...without having to buy a 34 to allow for the extra left over baggage...LOL)

prior to surgery 323lbs....4 years post-op maintaining between 108- 114 lb loss. 

life is AMAZING when you continue on the right path~!.  Use your surgeons gift to the fullest~!

Mary
surgery done in Duluth, MN

Silverlake1975
on 6/19/13 3:16 am - Ottawa, Canada
RNY on 06/19/12

Thanks Mary!  I too have been starting to enjoy the clothes shopping process more and more...which is a completely new experience! LOL

Pawsitive_One
on 6/19/13 3:10 am
RNY on 07/02/13

Congratulations!    And happy Surgeversary!  Thank you so much for sharing your experience - it makes me even more excited for when I get my surgery done on July 2nd! 

And thank you to everyone who has been open to sharing their experiences and knowledge with us newbies!

RnY: July 2nd, 2013

Most Active
Recent Topics