Help!

michellealana
on 7/8/13 10:57 am

So I am on day five of Optifast and I am getting worried if this is what I should do.  I need to know if what I am feeling is normal! I just keep thinking about how much I really love eating and eating different things and how I don't know if I want to not be able to do that! I know I am almost grieving the loss of this life.... But is this normal? 

I am also worried that if I mess up and have a weak moment and have a mouthful of food!! I just need to know other people have been here and have messed up and haven't ruined everything! 

Arrrgh! Bad thoughts!

Referral sent: October 17, 2012  Info Session: February 13, 2013  NP: March 13, 2013

Dietitian/SW: March 25, 2013    Abdominal Ultrasound/ECHO: March 26, 2013  Second Dietitian: April 24, 2013

Transfer to OWMC: May 10, 2013 Call from Clinic: May 21, 2013  Pre-Surg Class: June 26, 2013

Surgeon/PATTS: June 26, 2013 Call for surgery, July 2, 2013

Surgery July 25, 2013 Dr Neville Ottawa Civic 

Leslie W.
on 7/8/13 11:26 am - Cobourg, Canada

You would not be normal if you were not having doubts. It is perfectly normal. What I found most amazing is that right after surgery I was no longer controlled by eating. Hard to believe if someone said you would not be hungry postop but it is true. I love my new lease on life. Better health, I no longer hurt! Energy level is great. If you have a weak moment just take a deep breath, give yourself a little kick and get back on track. If you have done 5 days on Opti you have done the hard part.

Referral: August 2010 Orientation TWH: May 25, 2011  NP: June 8/11, f/u sleep clinic June 7, abd u/s June 14, SW: June 28/11  Nutrition Class: July 5/11, Dietician Aug 09, Psychologist Aug 25 Surgeon Sept 16th Surgery Date: Oct 11/11 HW:287, Opti wt: 260 SW: 242
My Angel is Sheri TK   
(deactivated member)
on 7/8/13 11:29 am

You dont know how much I would love to be in your shoes right now. I would gladly change you places . I have been waiting altogether 18 months to be where I am and I still have farther to go before surgery. I made my decision to be healthy again, to be out of pain,,, you dont know how much pain I am in. Im sure you are too. Come on ..... Of course you want this .... you dont want to be the way you are now for the rest of your life. Say goodbye to those old demons and say hello to a brand new you. You will find other things to love and all these thoughts will be history very soon. Good luck and please stick with it ... :-)

LilyBugsMommy
on 7/8/13 11:30 am - Kingston, Canada
RNY on 03/12/13

Everyone has these last minute worries & thoughts-it's ok, hang in there!

Yes, you will need to eat differently after surgery & sometimes you might feel like you are missing out (but not often I don't think) but really, it is so worth it!! I mostly find at this time that I don't think about food the way I used to. It doesn't consume my waking thoughts like it did, which is so nice. I will be honest & say that I have had a couple of moments where I wished I could have more of food X but then I think about how good I am feeling & how much more I am able to do & it really, it is all worth it, at least I think so :)

Referral to Ottawa: Jan/11 Info Session: May/11 Nurse: Feb/12 Dietician/Behavourist/Abdominal Scan: Apr/12 Pre-op Education Class: Feb. 6/13 Meet Surgeon  Feb.15/13 Surgery with Dr. Raiche March 12/13!!

The race isn't given to the swift nor the strong, but it's given to the ones who endure it to the end...

reenie33
on 7/8/13 11:45 am

You are feeling NORMAL. Keep plugging along. I had the worst time with Opti, and struggled with similar feelings that you describe. I even packed up all my opti and threw it into the closet and said I QUIT, I called my daughter (with whom I was to recooperate with) I told her I was backing out of the surgery. I got an earful, then I rechanged my mind. Heck I was so grieving over my love to eat and the loss of the ability to eat.., that I was crying as Dr Sohi personally wheeled me into surgery. After surgery it was though a switch was flipped, I dont miss eating, am not hungry, I want to be out and walking, Im awake longer, Im more positive. 

You know what your eating habits have brought you to. You know what the future holds if you continue. We as humans tend to take the path of less resistance. Stick it out, you will not be sorry, dont fear the unknown..... all the best to you

esther_cyw
on 7/8/13 12:03 pm - Canada
RNY on 04/26/13

POST surgery I have a tiny appetite, I crave way less than I ever did before but have allowed myself the tiniest taste of a few things that I did crave and one bit was all I wanted or needed (I guess I didn't need it).  It's rare that I step outside of the "rules" but I refuse to punish myself if I do as the quantity is so very tiny.  By the time I was recovered enough to be allowed any food (obviously not the junk or sugar etc, but anything in general) I was ok to eat lots of stuff as there's tons of healthy options out there that at least for me, were newly appreciated since my OPTI days and initial healing days.  I don't miss nor have I tried pop, alcohol, greasy food or caffeine.  My body just demands of me less in quantity and variety, which makes this journey more tolerable :)

moniquesgettingft
on 7/8/13 3:20 pm - Scarborough Ontario, Canada
You are soooooooo very NORMAL!! Sorry to break the news to you! Lol
I think a lot of us went through that feeling and guess what?
We made it through and we are so happy for it!
So YES you want this!

You can do it
Patm
on 7/9/13 2:58 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

Only you can answer weather this is for you. Write a list of pros and cons. Remember why you started this journey. A loty of people have second thoughts. Best to be sure now

Most Active
Recent Topics